Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,044

0 members and 3,044 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Talking My Chinese Water Dragon and His Setup

I just put him in this enclosure tonight, before he was in a 20g long since Saturday and I had this spare enclosure. It was definitely perfect for him, he needed the climbing space. I will be adding a lot more branches and plants.

Anyone thinking of what to name him?
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Re: My Chinese Water Dragon and His Setup

That looks nice for a temp home. But it is really WAY to small for him for very long.

Also, glass tanks are not ideal. They are prone to jump in to the glass and hurt themselves. Better to cover all sides if you can - except the front.

Water dish is way too small. It is a WATER dragon. They need room to swim or at least fully soak. So it needs to be deeper and longer.

Keep an eye on the substrate and the poo. They are prone to eating it and you may notice wood shavings in the poo. This can lead to imapaction.

Chad
    www.iherp.com/wafisherman

Ball Python, 2 Dumiril's Boas, Mexican Boa
    Russian Tortoise, 3 Sulcata Tortoises,
    3 E. Box Turtles and one 3-Toed Box Turtle
    Dog, Cat, Bearded Dragon
    2 Leo Geckos, Tiger Salamander, 2 Water Dragons
    Chickens, Rabbits, Ducks, Pilgram Geese
    2 Olberhasli milking goats
    7 kids and one amazing wife!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wafisherman View Post
    That looks nice for a temp home. But it is really WAY to small for him for very long.

Also, glass tanks are not ideal. They are prone to jump in to the glass and hurt themselves. Better to cover all sides if you can - except the front.

Water dish is way too small. It is a WATER dragon. They need room to swim or at least fully soak. So it needs to be deeper and longer.

Keep an eye on the substrate and the poo. They are prone to eating it and you may notice wood shavings in the poo. This can lead to imapaction.
    I do soak him in my bath tub daily for him to swim around and such since I don't have too big of a water dish. I will be covering all sides of the tank (besides the front) as well, I just set it up last night so I'm still adding some things to it. This enclosure is temporary, I'm working on getting a larger enclosure soon. He was in a 20g long before, which I knew wasn't acceptable at all so I had to move him into this for now. Once I start to feel better I will be working on the enclosure more.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    I do soak him in my bath tub daily for him to swim around and such since I don't have too big of a water dish. I will be covering all sides of the tank (besides the front) as well, I just set it up last night so I'm still adding some things to it. This enclosure is temporary, I'm working on getting a larger enclosure soon. He was in a 20g long before, which I knew wasn't acceptable at all so I had to move him into this for now. Once I start to feel better I will be working on the enclosure more.
    Just remember that, a 30 gallon, is the same floor space as a 20 gallon, just a few inchs taller. Its better than a 20 gallon, but not by much. How long until you get the new cage?
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedragon View Post
    Just remember that, a 30 gallon, is the same floor space as a 20 gallon, just a few inchs taller. Its better than a 20 gallon, but not by much. How long until you get the new cage?
    This might be a 30g, I'm not sure what it is actually. I put the cypress in there that ithad in the 20g long, and it filled up the same. I think this is a 29g, but I really have no clue what it is. I used it for my RES a while back, but honestly Idk what it is. I could measure it, in a bit though.

I might get a new enclosure this week, but it depends.
    Last edited by CoolioTiffany; 02-23-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

my friends is in a 90 gallon and its perfect, but a 75 is an approperate size tank. also tile is better than mulch, they can get impacted like beardies on sand.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Yeah....gotta really work on that realism when shooting a movie with a woman who has snakes for hair and can turn you to stone with a look....what were they thinking???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BOWSER11788 View Post
    my friends is in a 90 gallon and its perfect, but a 75 is an approperate size tank. also tile is better than mulch, they can get impacted like beardies on sand.
    Well, my Beardie is an adult which is why I keep her on sand and it is much, much easier to clean up. She has never had a problem with impaction and eats, poops, acts just fine. She's pretty clean too, she picks up crickets without touching the sand and eats greens without flying it everywhere. For now I'm using mulch with my CWD, but I'll most likely change to something else. I just find it a lot easier to keep humidity up with mulch because it's so dry in AZ and the heat lamp dries everything out.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

oh, humidity issue, i wish i had an isssue, my house stay constant 70% my snakes always hit a body long shed. want pics of new viv when finished
    Quote Originally Posted by JLC View Post
    Yeah....gotta really work on that realism when shooting a movie with a woman who has snakes for hair and can turn you to stone with a look....what were they thinking???

Thanks

+1 on the points already mentioned. Doubly so regarding the size of the water feature.

I think the rule of thumb for these guys (last I kept them anyways) is something like 2' x 2' x 4' per animal. Just a guide to keep in mind while your sourcing out the new home.

How about some closer shots of your dragon? I love these little guys. Is it cb/wc?

Thanks

To correct myself...according to one of the sources I used when I was keeping CWD....

"Water Dragons need a space at least 2 x their total length therefore you will need to provide an enclosure that is a min. of 6 ft long (side to side), 2-3 feet deep and 4-6 feet high to do it right." (Enclosure for Chinese water dragons)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast