Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,248

0 members and 1,248 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,109
Threads: 248,549
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, GhostyBoy29

Thread: Spot Nose

Thanks

Spot Nose

Just a quick picture of the spotnose we picked up at Tinley Park.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts

Re: Spot Nose

Can I ask a question without making anyone upset? How do you tell the difference between a spotnose and a normal?

I mean, there has to be something you look for, you can't just always take someones word for it, but I'll be darned if I can tell what that is. I've seen quite a few pictures of them here, and I can't pick out anything that seems consistent between them that makes them stand out from a normal.

Someone guide me please!

Gale
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Beautiful spotnose!

Thanks

If you look on the upper jaw you will se a spot on each side. That is sign for spotnose.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    Can I ask a question without making anyone upset? How do you tell the difference between a spotnose and a normal?

I mean, there has to be something you look for, you can't just always take someones word for it, but I'll be darned if I can tell what that is. I've seen quite a few pictures of them here, and I can't pick out anything that seems consistent between them that makes them stand out from a normal.

Someone guide me please!

Gale
    The best ways to tell the difference is to see the tan spots near the nose. Then the head blushing is insane.. Kind of reminds me of a spiders head. They are typically lighter in color and have a very busy jungle-ish pattern.

Beautiful Spotnose you have there!
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    That question certainly won't make anyone upset!

I'm not sure what all the markers are, but here is what I have noticed.

1) - The spots on their noses. Normals can have these too, and I believe it has turned out not all spotnoses have them, so it is not a definite sign.

2) - Head pattern. They have a faded pattern on their head. From what I've seen, it tends to cover a larger part of their head than the markings on a fire.

3) - Light dorsal. It is subtle, but their dorsal is several shades lighter. You can see it on this animal on the spots that are connected to the side spots. The scales on the side spots are one color, then right where they connect to the dorsal spots, they suddenly get several shades lighter. This carries through to at least some spotnose combos. Take a look at the twilight (spotnose cinnamon):
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...light=twilight

4) - Busy pattern. So far, all the spotnoses I've seen have been somewhere between busy and very busy with their pattern. I don't know if this is really part of the morph, or if they just haven't been bred selectively for reduced patterns the way spiders have.
    Casey

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

Good looking spot nose!!! I have been wanting to pick one up for awhile now. Some day
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc261 View Post
    That question certainly won't make anyone upset!

I'm not sure what all the markers are, but here is what I have noticed.

1) - The spots on their noses. Normals can have these too, and I believe it has turned out not all spotnoses have them, so it is not a definite sign.

2) - Head pattern. They have a faded pattern on their head. From what I've seen, it tends to cover a larger part of their head than the markings on a fire.

3) - Light dorsal. It is subtle, but their dorsal is several shades lighter. You can see it on this animal on the spots that are connected to the side spots. The scales on the side spots are one color, then right where they connect to the dorsal spots, they suddenly get several shades lighter. This carries through to at least some spotnose combos. Take a look at the twilight (spotnose cinnamon):
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...light=twilight

4) - Busy pattern. So far, all the spotnoses I've seen have been somewhere between busy and very busy with their pattern. I don't know if this is really part of the morph, or if they just haven't been bred selectively for reduced patterns the way spiders have.
    That sums it up pretty good. Thanks everyone for the compliments and happy herping.