Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,123

0 members and 3,123 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Venomous

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Serpent Merchant View Post
    Zombie thread alert...
    It's Halloween. 'Tis the season for the zombies to rise...

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX using Tapatalk 2.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vypyrz For This Useful Post:

The Serpent Merchant (10-19-2012)

Registered User .G&S Royal pythons.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    I have worked with both the copper head and a timber ratler and they are not that bad for being venomous but i would not recommend it for a first time keeper.

Registered User BleedingOrange36's Avatar
    Thanks
    In really curious how this went down. He Would be 17 now, I'm wondering if he ever did follow the wise advice? Or suffered a far worse outcome.
    I'm poking at the zombie!!!

Thanks
    I am going to let the zombie chase me around the corner and say that I hope this kid didn't do anything dangerous or foolish... And that being said I think there is a possibility that he might have been able to find this information on another forum... And considering that his "mother" was so adamant in defending him I think that there is a distinct possibility that he just decided to forgo this forum and look elsewhere... Here's hoping that someone gave him the same advice...
    1.0.0 Normal Ball Python (Salazar S.)
    1.0.0 Spider Ball Python (Currently Unnamed)
    1.1.0 100% Het Pied Ball Pythons (Perseus & Andromeda)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to alpine For This Useful Post:

BleedingOrange36 (10-19-2012)

Thanks
    well since this thread has risen and the scary grandmother looking thing is wandering around the graveyard, i may as well chime in. This is me blindly jabbering about me feeling on the whole age and reptile topic. Im going to start with no a 14 year old any teen like myself for that matter should have a copperhead. I think something like a vine snake or mild venom would be cool and acceptable. now lets move on to what irks me. As some or you know i am a teenager, and my biggest life lesson / thing to live by has been dont let people say that you cant do something....having 50 snakes and breeding IMPOSSIBLE many say, but i never thought that; when i look at a fellow keeper i feel that we are at the same level as far as herps go. BUT NO. Let me share a story of when i vended last year at o local expo 2 instances. One guy came over and said that he would never buy a 3000 dollar snake from a kid because we are stupid and impulsive. Another man ridiculed my mother or letting me own the animals and work for word said im a spoiled **** because my mom had to of purchased them for me because kids now days don't know hard work WTH. This may not be the same exact topic as owning hots but its saying what ive been told and what i hate "hey youre a kid, you are not reponsible and your animals will suffer because your an immature CHILD" okay rant thingy ma blab over

Ryan Hatmaker - Hatmaker Reptiles-

Colubrids and Sand Boas

"Once you get your first snake, you've sold your soul to reptiles. You can try to leave or run away... but they will find you."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ridinandreptiles For This Useful Post:

Chkadii (11-15-2012),Gene Collins (10-19-2012)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridinandreptiles View Post
    well since this thread has risen and the scary grandmother looking thing is wandering around the graveyard, i may as well chime in. This is me blindly jabbering about me feeling on the whole age and reptile topic. Im going to start with no a 14 year old any teen like myself for that matter should have a copperhead. I think something like a vine snake or mild venom would be cool and acceptable. now lets move on to what irks me. As some or you know i am a teenager, and my biggest life lesson / thing to live by has been dont let people say that you cant do something....having 50 snakes and breeding IMPOSSIBLE many say, but i never thought that; when i look at a fellow keeper i feel that we are at the same level as far as herps go. BUT NO. Let me share a story of when i vended last year at o local expo 2 instances. One guy came over and said that he would never buy a 3000 dollar snake from a kid because we are stupid and impulsive. Another man ridiculed my mother or letting me own the animals and work for word said im a spoiled **** because my mom had to of purchased them for me because kids now days don't know hard work WTH. This may not be the same exact topic as owning hots but its saying what ive been told and what i hate "hey youre a kid, you are not reponsible and your animals will suffer because your an immature CHILD" okay rant thingy ma blab over
    I read this thread top to bottom. From what I picked up was that it wasn't soo much about his age, it was his misunderstanding of the protocols that should be taken before owning hots. I'm all for Floridas stand on it, 1000hrs under a certified proffesional. It takes many many years for people to accomplish that, in that time they should have learned the delicate process in which to go about handling hots. I don't own hots, but one day I would love to have a yellow eyelash viper... One day. I would except the risks, but I would make sure I understood them first. I've spent many many years involved in extreme sports. I spent 6 days in critical care when I shattered my orbital bone.... I spent 2 months in a wheelchair when I shattered my tibia and fibula. I have broken more bones than I care to list.... But I knew what I was getting myself into, and I made sure I took every precaution I could. I spent thousands of dollars on the best protective gear I could get. Now that I have matured enough to look back at it all....... Damn what was I thinking...? Lol I'm only 23 and I have arthritis in both knees, knee surgery twice on my left knee. Every morning I wake up is a blessing and a curse. If I had known the prolonged consequences of my actions when I was younger, maybe I would have thought twice before hitting that triple 4th gear tapped while running on fumes.... Maybe I would of let someone else jump that gouge before I launched it....
    Maybe the OP should think about the consequences of taking io such a large responsibility at such a young age. Maybe he should of looked into the necessary steps needed to safely own hots. I don't understand why he was asking about a cage for hots? There are plenty of locking cages on the market built specifically for hots. Sliding feed doors to drop the prey in without putting your hand inside. To me it seemed more like an attempt to gain attention. I believe he was looking for positive comments saying how cool it was that he wanted a rattlesnake. I believe his mom is also to blame here. Yes she believes that he was nature enough to take on the responsibility.... But what does she know about the involved responsibilities required. She said his life goal was to work with native hots... My life goal was to fly helicopters... Did my mother argue with expert pilots about how my video game flying skills were suitable training..?? Yes I know they are two totally different examples... But are they really that different? You have to be of a certain age to fly... Same with owning hots. Yes my parents could of bought a heli and license, and allowed me to fly under their license... But is it right, idk.... Now I kind of wish that happened, that would of kicked ass haha.
    Ohh crap the zombies are here!!! Time to fly away in my heli

Thanks

Re: Venomous

Quote Originally Posted by BleedingOrange36 View Post
    I read this thread top to bottom. From what I picked up was that it wasn't soo much about his age, it was his misunderstanding of the protocols that should be taken before owning hots. I'm all for Floridas stand on it, 1000hrs under a certified proffesional. It takes many many years for people to accomplish that, in that time they should have learned the delicate process in which to go about handling hots. I don't own hots, but one day I would love to have a yellow eyelash viper... One day. I would except the risks, but I would make sure I understood them first. I've spent many many years involved in extreme sports. I spent 6 days in critical care when I shattered my orbital bone.... I spent 2 months in a wheelchair when I shattered my tibia and fibula. I have broken more bones than I care to list.... But I knew what I was getting myself into, and I made sure I took every precaution I could. I spent thousands of dollars on the best protective gear I could get. Now that I have matured enough to look back at it all....... Damn what was I thinking...? Lol I'm only 23 and I have arthritis in both knees, knee surgery twice on my left knee. Every morning I wake up is a blessing and a curse. If I had known the prolonged consequences of my actions when I was younger, maybe I would have thought twice before hitting that triple 4th gear tapped while running on fumes.... Maybe I would of let someone else jump that gouge before I launched it....
    Maybe the OP should think about the consequences of taking io such a large responsibility at such a young age. Maybe he should of looked into the necessary steps needed to safely own hots. I don't understand why he was asking about a cage for hots? There are plenty of locking cages on the market built specifically for hots. Sliding feed doors to drop the prey in without putting your hand inside. To me it seemed more like an attempt to gain attention. I believe he was looking for positive comments saying how cool it was that he wanted a rattlesnake. I believe his mom is also to blame here. Yes she believes that he was nature enough to take on the responsibility.... But what does she know about the involved responsibilities required. She said his life goal was to work with native hots... My life goal was to fly helicopters... Did my mother argue with expert pilots about how my video game flying skills were suitable training..?? Yes I know they are two totally different examples... But are they really that different? You have to be of a certain age to fly... Same with owning hots. Yes my parents could of bought a heli and license, and allowed me to fly under their license... But is it right, idk.... Now I kind of wish that happened, that would of kicked ass haha.
    Ohh crap the zombies are here!!! Time to fly away in my heli
    i have bolts in my back at 17, still racing thats why i mentioned my rant wasnt 100% about the thread thats what it reminded me of

Ryan Hatmaker - Hatmaker Reptiles-

Colubrids and Sand Boas

"Once you get your first snake, you've sold your soul to reptiles. You can try to leave or run away... but they will find you."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridinandreptiles View Post
    i have bolts in my back at 17, still racing thats why i mentioned my rant wasnt 100% about the thread thats what it reminded me of
    Yea I still race from time to time.... When I have time lol. Before I moved into my apt I lived on 14 acres with 100,000's of areas behind that with some of the best riding around. My buddy 3 houses down had a professional built mx track. I've spent plenty of days out there ripping with J-Law. But now my bike sits in my buddies race shop, and I sit in my snake room lol.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by crescend View Post
    Ok, so now the "Not great parent" as Bowser11788 put is going to add a little to the conversation. My son is young, he is only 14, but he is extremely passionate about these wonderful reptiles, and very impatient to grow up and be able to do what he dreams of which is becoming involved in the conservation efforts of venomous species in the US which don't seem to have much of a voice. He is interested in cage designs for "hots" because he plans to have them someday down the road. Not tomorrow as some of you seem to believe. I have taught him to plan, research, and learn all he can first hand before beginning any new project. In 7 years he has gone from owning 1 ball python to owning several species, breeding some, and spending as much time as possible taking these fantastic creatures out in public to give demonstrations, especially to younger kids, in an effort to make the next generation understand that these are not evil beings. Skiploader called him "a 14 year old with a bad case of the "know-it-alls" He is by no means a know-it-all, but occassionally comes across that way when he is once again treated like he doesn't know anything. He has been fighting for years to try to get people to take him seriously, and he had come to think that on this forum he would be. When he meets with obstacles he tends to go a bit overboard as only a teenager could, but most of that is due to the frustration he feels because of the struggles he goes through to just try to get advice from people he respects. As for hands on experience, he is constantly looking for new opportunities. He has become involved at the zoo in our area, and will be attending a rattlesnake symposium in April at the invitation of a researcher in our area. I am not a bad parent, and would never allow him to get into hots until I know he is ready (which will definitely be longer than he hopes!). But, please do not ignore his questions or requests just because of his age. I do believe he will be deep into hots at some point, and I'd like to know that he got "good" advice from those of you that are "in-the-know"
    He will not be replying to this post again.
    Right on mom. As I was scrolling down I was getting more and more angry at each new condescending post. This is a DIY forum and hens here for legitimate help and everyone wants to talk down to and berate this poor guy. Everyone talks about needing to learn and get more experience but last time I checked that was what this forum is for. At least he didn't just say screw it and jump in without any advise at all. I still have 2+ pages to scroll through. I really hope this improved or you all suck! :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    1.0 Normal-Clyde
    1.0 Pastel-Craig
    0.2 Bearded Dragons-Posey and Sandy
    0.1 Miniature Schnauzer-Coco
    1.1 Chihuahuas- Deizil & Sophie
    1.0 False Map Turtle-Token

BPnet Veteran The Serpent Merchant's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,300 Times in 2,344 Posts

Re: Venomous

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Collins View Post
    Right on mom. As I was scrolling down I was getting more and more angry at each new condescending post. This is a DIY forum and hens here for legitimate help and everyone wants to talk down to and berate this poor guy. Everyone talks about needing to learn and get more experience but last time I checked that was what this forum is for. At least he didn't just say screw it and jump in without any advise at all. I still have 2+ pages to scroll through. I really hope this improved or you all suck! :p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't think you fully understand the scope of the situation that was in this thread. This kid says that he is prepared to handle Hots because he can use a snake hook with corn snakes and carpet pythons (neither of which is anything like a hot). Everyone in this thread was trying to help this kid, literally to keep him from killing himself. It takes years of training with an experienced mentor to truly be prepared. Simply knowing how to use a snake hook and what hospitals can treat snake bites isn't enough when you are talking about dealing with an animal that can kill you. It would be completely irresponsible to give someone like that the information to house such an animal. As was stated he needs to learn how to deal with the animals first, then worry about caging. The problem was that he didn't want to hear that. It's not like the worst case is he needs to put a bandaid on a bite... it really could kill him.

Had he simply understood that he was trying to run before he could walk and listened to experienced members who know what they are talking about, the tone of this thread would have been much different.
    Last edited by The Serpent Merchant; 10-20-2012 at 01:27 AM.
    ~Aaron

0.1 Pastel 100% Het Clown Ball Python (Hestia)
    1.0 Coastal/Jungle Carpet Python (Shagrath)
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa (Nergal)

0.1 Bearded Dragon (Gaius)

1.0 Siberian Husky (Picard)
    0.1 German Shepherd/Lab Mix (Jadzia)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Serpent Merchant For This Useful Post:

BleedingOrange36 (10-20-2012),Capray (10-20-2012),Coleslaw007 (10-21-2012),JellyFish72 (10-20-2012)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast