Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,270

1 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Venomous

Registered User singingtothewheat's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Venomous

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Just curious, but are your parents going to be involved with the care of whatever venomous species you are looking at??

I'm all for younger people learning to take care of more complicated animals, but I'd certainly would never have let my sister care for even less-than-lethal hots at that age.

Agree completely. No one underage should be dealing with hots unless a parent with a big knowledge of hot care and hot safety is leading the show. First and foremost for keeping hots, I assume you have a hot room that is something the hot/s could not escape from.
    singingtothesnakes
    1.1 Normal kids. Well for the most part anyway.
    0.1. Worlds coolest Normal Ball Python (Boo)
    0.1. Mojave Ball Python (Daisy)
    1.0. Pastel Ball Python (Sol)
    1.1. Het. for Axanthic Ball Python (Xan and Xab's)
    1.1. Garden Phase, Amazon Tree Boa's (Jetta & Izzy)
    0.1. Reverse Okeetee Corn Snake (Sarah)
    0.0.1. Gopher Snake (Little Bite)
    The Ghost did not pan out. shoot!

Hopefully by summer I'll be making payments on a 1.1 lesser

Thanks

Yeah it is really scary to think what could happen in a situation like this!!!SERIOUSLY!!!!

Thanks

Regardless of your experience with snakes, making the jump to HOTs is a big one. Especially from ball pythons, which are quite possibly the calmest snake one can get. In my opinion, a 14 year old is not ready for a E.diamondback, or a copper head as both are notoriously aggressive. Not only that, but 14 year olds are, in many cases, irresponsible.

If you mind is set on getting a hot, then I would suggest something small, and venomoid. Although venomoid, it doesn't assure that you won’t still get a venomous bite, it certainly lowers your chances.

Any of the tree vipers would be my initial suggestion, as most that are available are mildly venomous and really only cause localize swelling. They are also very docile, and hook well.

The snake you decide on getting will ultimately determine the type of caging you want, but regardless of whatever you get just remember 1 word. SECURITY. I cannot stress that enough. Its very important that you have more safety precautions then necessary, that includes locks on the cage, sealants, and checking and rechecking all of them during handling/feeding procedures.

I would much rather be slightly paranoid about safety then be in the hospital because I was negligent.
    2.1 Pastels - ED, George, Ailia.
    1.0 '08 Poss. Het Albino - Norm
    0.1 Proven Normal - Ragani

On the way IE when I have the money:
    0.1 Albino
    0.1 Spider
    0.1 Mojo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

You might want to go with a mangrove snake or a false water cobra to start.

Another good training tip is to get a coachwhip or racer and practice handling them ONLY with hooks and tongs as if they were hot.

Sounds easy, but it's not.

Age isn't as important, though it is of importance, as training and knowledge. Youngness should not preclude you from keeping hots but ignorance, which can be a simple case of not yet having necessary training, should.

Avoid voids. The knowledge in the back of your head that a bite won't kill you may well lead to irresponsible behavior with actual hots which would not only be bad when, not if but when, the press got hold of it, but could well be fatal.

That would probably irk your mother. No need to do that.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

First of all I know nothing about Hots! However you might want to check into the laws in your area. What came to mind for me is first don't you have to have a permit in most places to keep hots. The second being....I don't know if they would give a 14 year old a permit.

This just came to mind for me. I am probably wrong! While I understand that you have had years of experience with snakes....wow.....that is such a big step at such an early stage in your life. Again just my opinion.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

I do agree completely with what everyone else is telling you. Your parents may not be the owners, and they may have no experience. However, ball pythons are nothing compared to hots. I have never dealt with hots, but I do know they are much more wild tempered, and quicker than a ball python. As well, I am almost certain that the state will not give you a hot license being under age, your parents would have to obtain one.

You really should wait until you are of age, and have much more knowledge of a greater amount of snake species. Although, if you choose not to take everyone's advice, then good luck to you and the animals.

Thanks

you can just BUY venomous?
    my channel plz check it out!

www.youtube.com/reptopia

Thanks

Balls are my only specialty. I breed boas hognoses carpets and corns. Boas and carpets can be really aggressive. Before I sell them I "break" them so they can be regularly handeled by their new owner. I take in pride the additude of my snakes. I dont want to have a parent come to me for a birthday present for their son and taking it home and the animal biting the child and ruining the fun of a reptile. I can handle animals. I have even practiced handeling my carpets and corns with a hook to get the hang of it. For they are much alike to tree vipers and pits. now If you don't mind this is a DIY forum I need some Ideas for cages. Stop questioning the health and well being of me and start throwing ideas for CAGES!
    4.7 - Ball Pythons
    0.1 - Corn
    0.1 - Columbian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 - Coumbian Red Tail
    1.0 - D'Alberts Python
    0.1 - Costal Carpet Python
    1.0 - Beardie
    4.2 - furfriends

9. The Following User Says Thank You to crescend For This Useful Post:

RyanT (11-15-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dembonez View Post
    you can just BUY venomous?
    Yes. There is a reptile store here in Vegas that sells albino western diamondback rattlesnakes.

Quote Originally Posted by crescend View Post
    Balls are my only specialty. I breed boas hognoses carpets and corns. Boas and carpets can be really aggressive. Before I sell them I "break" them so they can be regularly handeled by their new owner. I take in pride the additude of my snakes. I dont want to have a parent come to me for a birthday present for their son and taking it home and the animal biting the child and ruining the fun of a reptile. I can handle animals. I have even practiced handeling my carpets and corns with a hook to get the hang of it. For they are much alike to tree vipers and pits. now If you don't mind this is a DIY forum I need some Ideas for cages. Stop questioning the health and well being of me and start throwing ideas for CAGES!
    IMHO, hots is a step that should not be taken lightly. It is not something that you can learn as you go, like you can with other non-venomous snakes. Have you tried to find any hot owners in your locality that you can get together with and gain some experience in handling and owning hots? I would recommend doing that before you do anything. Also, have you verified if there are any laws where you live that would prohibit or regulate such ownership?
    Control is an illusion.

Thanks

[QUOTE=brainman1000;1276510]Yes. There is a reptile store here in Vegas that sells albino western diamondback rattlesnakes.

WTH?! thats insane!!!

they can kill you!!
    my channel plz check it out!

www.youtube.com/reptopia

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast