Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,209

1 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Venomous

Thanks

Venomous

I am 14 and want to build my own venomous snake cage. Personally i want to buy a prefetionally made one so that there is less chance of a serial killer on the loose. LOL. But my mother wants to build are own. What do you think? and I need some ideas for an enclosure.
    4.7 - Ball Pythons
    0.1 - Corn
    0.1 - Columbian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 - Coumbian Red Tail
    1.0 - D'Alberts Python
    0.1 - Costal Carpet Python
    1.0 - Beardie
    4.2 - furfriends

Thanks

Re: Venomous

I think building your on is great, and you shouldn't have any on the loose if you take the proper precautions. I personally would love to get Neodeshas if i ever got into venomous (its not legal here).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Just curious, but are your parents going to be involved with the care of whatever venomous species you are looking at??

I'm all for younger people learning to take care of more complicated animals, but I'd certainly would never have let my sister care for even less-than-lethal hots at that age.

Thanks

The caging depends on the species that you are looking to house.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    Just curious, but are your parents going to be involved with the care of whatever venomous species you are looking at??

I'm all for younger people learning to take care of more complicated animals, but I'd certainly would never have let my sister care for even less-than-lethal hots at that age.
    Fine for your sister, but this guy isn't. I know a lot of folks who got started at that age, or younger, who never had any problems.

A better question would be, does your mother have any experience with hots. It's not going to matter much if she's involved with them if she's a newb too.

Is the kid learning by doing or is someone teaching him is a far better question and response.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

6. The Following User Says Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

j_h_smith (02-19-2010)

Thanks

Age is not my problem. My parents are not the ownerss and I have also been breeding balls and other snakes sinse i was seven. I have lots of experiance in reptiles and I am just looking to raise my knowledge. I was catching snakes in my area sinse I was five.I also have a list of precautions.Two people at all times a list of the local hospitals and the number of the venom hotline on my wall. so I know all the precautions. I did my research.

I am thinking of gatting a copperhead or eastern DB. Ideas?
    4.7 - Ball Pythons
    0.1 - Corn
    0.1 - Columbian Rainbow Boa
    1.0 - Coumbian Red Tail
    1.0 - D'Alberts Python
    0.1 - Costal Carpet Python
    1.0 - Beardie
    4.2 - furfriends

Thanks

I do have to agree, age is not the factor, it is do they have the proper experience? I was raised around all sorts of reptiles from the time I was born, and I learned a lot through being raised with them. When I was 17 I started a Nile monitor rescue, but had to stop due to the lack of donations, and I could not afford to keep more than six at a time with out the donations.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by crescend View Post
    Age is not my problem. My parents are not the ownerss and I have also been breeding balls and other snakes sinse i was seven. I have lots of experiance in reptiles and I am just looking to raise my knowledge. I was catching snakes in my area sinse I was five.I also have a list of precautions.Two people at all times a list of the local hospitals and the number of the venom hotline on my wall. so I know all the precautions. I did my research.

I am thinking of gatting a copperhead or eastern DB. Ideas?
    Indeed. No doubt we'll be hearing about you in the future.

Sigh.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wilomn For This Useful Post:

bamagecko76 (05-30-2010),CatandDiallo (11-15-2012),Mft62485 (10-19-2012)

Thanks

Dude, this is coming from a guy who has seen the damage native snakes inflict. Buy something only mildly toxic-like a vine snake. Their bite is nasty but at least you won't lose a hand. Anyway, the two snakes you mentioned are super aggressive and you couldn't do much with them except feed them. I'd stick with the snakes that you can handle at least. vine snakes are cooler anyway. they're like a green snake with attitude and and odd nose.

Thanks

adamanteus Is a pretty aggressive snake. contortrix does have the mildest venom of any other North A. Pit viper, and are known to be a flighty/strikey snake. I would treat any venomous snake like it was the deadliest. I also wouldn't base my ability to keep venomous on the fact that I have kept non-venomous for a long time. Apples and Oranges..... I think you should have proper training before ever thinking about keeping venomous. Experience is a bad teacher, it tests you.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast