Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,080

0 members and 3,080 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

enlarged hemipenes

i feel like all i do is ask for help with my leopard gecko. as an update on his shedding problems, he's still not eating or biting any of it off which leaves me to worry about his stuck sheds and carefully and gently take it off. a major problem with this is he sheds every 3 weeks. his eyes get a little swollen after sheds and i apply medication for that. lately his sheds are getting stuck around the tail as well.
    i noticed about a week or two ago that his hemipenes seemed larger. they've began to turn pinkish and my vet isn't back until thursday.
    i actually just realized all the swelling is BELOW the vent. shouldn't the bulges be above?

and yes, that is a little shed skin stuck on the bulges...

after taking the pictures, i placed him down and noticed blood coming out the side of his mouth!

i have no idea how i did that to him i feel horrible if it was my fault.
    sorry if the message isn't very organized. i just want to get everything said as quickly as possible.
    oh, and before you start asking about housing questions i've posted his set up before and nobody has really had a problem with it. i'll copy and paste that under this post
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Shih-tzu mix
    0.1 Cat

Thanks

Re: enlarged hemipenes

-20 gallon long glass tank with the carpet stuff as substrate.
    -3 hides. Right side, middle, left.
    -undertank heater (connected to a dimmer) on the left side
    and the humid hide is on the warm end. i use paper towels in a tupperware container as his humid hide
    temps are measuring around 95 on the warm end, 80-83 on the cool end. I'm using a temp gun (RBI205L)
    -he hasn't eaten in a couple months...

any questions feel free to ask.
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Shih-tzu mix
    0.1 Cat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Laterr View Post
    -20 gallon long glass tank with the carpet stuff as substrate.
    -3 hides. Right side, middle, left.
    -undertank heater (connected to a dimmer) on the left side
    and the humid hide is on the warm end. i use paper towels in a tupperware container as his humid hide
    temps are measuring around 95 on the warm end, 80-83 on the cool end. I'm using a temp gun (RBI205L)
    -he hasn't eaten in a couple months...

any questions feel free to ask.
    Hemipenes should be below the vent.

I would get him to the vet. Have you assist fed him? He's probably extremely dehydrated and malnourished if he hasn't eaten in a few months.
    I would assist feed him phoenix worms. They can't really fight back. But just open his mouth a little with your finger and put them in (usually this will make them a little mad and when they open their mouth to bite throw the worm in and they'll swallow it.)

Really though, just might be a sick gecko that isn't meant to do well.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

Laterr (02-19-2010)

Thanks

He needs to go to the vet. Have you assit fed him or anything?

The swelling of the hemipenes looks bad, and that could be mouthrot that he's trying to develop. In that pic his eye also looks funny but it could just be the way the picture was taken..

Either way, it's time to go to an exotic vet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to coldblooded For This Useful Post:

Laterr (02-19-2010)

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime View Post
    my vet is on there and he's out til thursday. he's the only one i liked so far.

Quote Originally Posted by coldblooded View Post
    He needs to go to the vet. Have you assit fed him or anything?

The swelling of the hemipenes looks bad, and that could be mouthrot that he's trying to develop. In that pic his eye also looks funny but it could just be the way the picture was taken..

Either way, it's time to go to an exotic vet.
    i have not assist fed him anything and i would if his mouth didnt have a wound right now. it was bleeding from the inside. im guessing it was a dry spot from his shed. i've SEEN him drink water recently..
    the eye is indeed funny right now. its swollen from shed getting in there but i'm taking care of that right now.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Hemipenes should be below the vent.

I would get him to the vet. Have you assist fed him? He's probably extremely dehydrated and malnourished if he hasn't eaten in a few months.
    I would assist feed him phoenix worms. They can't really fight back. But just open his mouth a little with your finger and put them in (usually this will make them a little mad and when they open their mouth to bite throw the worm in and they'll swallow it.)

Really though, just might be a sick gecko that isn't meant to do well.
    below the vent, got it. i guess i was just freaking out. i'll try these suggestions after the vet visit. he was completely fine his first year of life and only recently started all this. i really hope he isn't just prone to problems.
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Shih-tzu mix
    0.1 Cat

Thanks

UPDATE:
    so i just got home from the vet. He said it sounded like malnourishment, the hemipenes MIGHT be infected and it could have started from the malnourishment so i got some antibiotic (baytril) for that as a precaution. As for the malnourishment, he gave me some carnivore diet mix that i'll feed with a syringe (place drops around the mouth for him to lick, i know. ) he was actually excited to use it since he said its something new that he just got at the convention he was at.
    Also, i noticed this morning that my gecko looked about ready to shed. Right as the doctor was probing him, he began shedding. I pulled off ALL of it a few minutes ago so there shouldn't be any problems with stuck shed.

On a side note, as I was waiting there was an older lady who worked there taking a dog out for a walk. She brings the dog over to me to say hi and asks if my dog is with a doctor right now. I tell her I have my gecko with me and she responds "oh, you're going to see the lizard doctor," and continues out the door. On my way out, i notice a car with a license plate that reads "LZRD DR". I just thought I'd share that since it made me laugh
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Shih-tzu mix
    0.1 Cat

Thanks

wish I had that problem!
    1.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    1.0 Anerythrystic Brazilian Rainbow Boa
    1.1 Het Albino Red Tail Boas
    1.0 Albino motley Red Tail
    1.2 Green tree pythons
    1.1 Emerald Tree Boas
    2.2 Corn snakes
    1.3 Honduran Milks (1.1 alb, 0.1 het alb, 0.1 dbl het)
    3.4 Ball pythons (Lemon bee, Spider & Pied males. 2 Pastels,poss het pied, girls)

Thanks

sadly here i am again with more bad news regarding my gecko. this time he's coughing up blood 10 minutes after i slowly and carefully fed him his food mix. struggling to keep his balance as he walks. blind. spazzing out. i'll be calling my vet first thing in the morning but for now all i can do is wipe the blood off his face.

does anyone have ANY idea what this could be related to?
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
    0.1 Shih-tzu mix
    0.1 Cat

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear he has taken a turn for the worse, please keep us updated...I'm pulling for a good outcome. Poor fella

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast