Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,709

2 members and 2,707 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Maybe one of you can tell me?

Quote Originally Posted by mainbutter View Post
    a bit off topic on their venom:
    http://www.herpnet.net/bite/

Back on topic:

I actually thought they WERE illegal in IL as they never have any at reptile shows there, but hopefully Gregg is right (sounds like he knows what he's talking about) and you can get a permit. I'd contact your local fish and wildlife service, they might be able to help you.
    DDDDDDDDDD: goodness. that looks horrible. I'm pretty much not going to let anyone hold it if I ever get one.

I thought they were illegal too, and I figured that's why i haven't seen any. I found a site for the permit here and they have permit applications you can print off and mail in. So I guess that's what I'll be doing tomorrow
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    - the fox

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Just to quell any fears you may have of these guys:

99.99% of the time when these guys bite out of defense, it is mock-striking with the mouth closed.

I'd never hesitate in letting a friend handle a hoggie, they really aren't that bad. The link is just the worst of the worst of what could happen, and a good reason to NOT do what the guy did. If you read the article, it states that the guy LET THE SNAKE CHEW ON HIM FOR 3-5 MINUTES. This works the venom in much much much much much more than just a quick strike.

Don't ever let a rear fanger chew on you for an extended period of time, since it's pretty easy to get 'em off your hand.

Good luck with the permit and getting a new scaly buddy! Make sure to post pics

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

musicalKeyes (02-18-2010)

Thanks

Hognoses, however, can be dangerous due to their saliva depending on how allergic you are to the saliva. From what I have heard, if you are very allergic the bite can be as bad as a Copperhead bite. I have a Hognose, but I'm not concerned about my allergic reaction to the bite even though I doubt I would get bitten. If I did, I would not let the snake chew on me once it has latched on. That is how the saliva is injected into you, so if a Hog does happen to bite you or anyone, get it off as quickly as possible.
    Tiff'z Morphz

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CoolioTiffany For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I suppose I should have said "I won't let certain people hold it" I've been tagged more times than I care to count (when I was younger, meaning around 6 or 7, I decided the best way to catch garter snakes was to just let them bite me. ohhh youth, hahaha ) My cousin's have crazy amounts of allergies, so I don't think I'd let them risk it, or let any of the kids in there classes hold it if I brought it in for show and tell when I brought my other snakes (about this; on the permit, you have to pick a reason for wanting to own the permit, and one of these is educational; do you think this would count? Or do you think they'd even look into it?).

Does anyone know how often they turn these types of permit applications down, or has anyone applied before?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for all the answers
    1.0 normal ball python, Simon
    1.0 spider ball python, Noah
    0.1 genetic blurry ball python, Eleanor

"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed."
    - the fox

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

a bit more on the off-topic hoggie venom, courtesy of Vin Russo at Cutting Edge Herp:

http://www.cuttingedgeherp.com/nss-f...tures/MexF.jpg

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mainbutter For This Useful Post:

Registered User singingtothewheat's Avatar
    Thanks

Illinois department of Fish and Wildlife, as mentioned is the key to the question I think
    singingtothesnakes
    1.1 Normal kids. Well for the most part anyway.
    0.1. Worlds coolest Normal Ball Python (Boo)
    0.1. Mojave Ball Python (Daisy)
    1.0. Pastel Ball Python (Sol)
    1.1. Het. for Axanthic Ball Python (Xan and Xab's)
    1.1. Garden Phase, Amazon Tree Boa's (Jetta & Izzy)
    0.1. Reverse Okeetee Corn Snake (Sarah)
    0.0.1. Gopher Snake (Little Bite)
    The Ghost did not pan out. shoot!

Hopefully by summer I'll be making payments on a 1.1 lesser

10. The Following User Says Thank You to singingtothewheat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    Hognoses, however, can be dangerous due to their saliva depending on how allergic you are to the saliva. From what I have heard, if you are very allergic the bite can be as bad as a Copperhead bite.
    This is not true...
    They actually have a venom... The reaction people get when bitten is not an alleric reaction to their saliva... The reaction is from being envenomed... No matter how bad a bite can be from a hognose snake, it can never be compared to that of a bite from a copperhead... Even a mild copperhead bite will be many times worse than even the most severe hognose bite...

Besides, in order for you to be allergic to something, your body needs to first be introduce to it...

If you are allergic to bees, it does not mean you will be allergic to snake venom...

There are other factors that determine how bad a hognose bite can be and none of it has to do with allergies...

#1 The snakes size

#2 How long did the snake "chew"... They are a rear fanged species... However, they do not have the most advanced delivery system... Their fangs are not grooved and there is no duct running from the gland to the fang...

#3 Were the rear fangs even used during the bite??? Despite what many believe, a hognose snake and most rear fanged snakes do not have to work to sink their rear fangs into you or its prey... The fangs are set right under the eye, not way back in its mouth... In hognose snakes the fangs are moveable... They are not as well developed like a vipers front folding fangs but they are hinged and hogs can opt not to use them during a bite...

With all this being said, the huge majority of hognose bites do not result in envenoming and you will get nothing but a few holes in your finger as a result of a bite...
    Last edited by Gregg Madden; 02-19-2010 at 10:05 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gregg Madden For This Useful Post:

RedDevil (02-20-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by musicalKeyes View Post
    (about this; on the permit, you have to pick a reason for wanting to own the permit, and one of these is educational; do you think this would count? Or do you think they'd even look into it?).

Does anyone know how often they turn these types of permit applications down, or has anyone applied before?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for all the answers
    Educational would be a good broad reason to want to obtain a permit...

You will not get turned down... They will not be looking into it... It really boils down to the fact that your state wants money... If you pay, you can keep... Its that simple...

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gregg Madden For This Useful Post:

musicalKeyes (02-19-2010),WickedBalls (02-19-2010)

Thanks

There are many assumptions that permit only pertains to normal phase western hognose. This morning I spoke with the IDNR endangered species project manager and he confirmed residents of Illinois must possess a permit regardless of hognose morph.

If anyone has any questions give me a call 815 409-6295

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12