Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,633

2 members and 2,631 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Building my first rack

I've been wanting to get a rack unit for a while and shopped around to pretty much finding racks that were not within my budget. I work at Lowe's, so when I got out of work last night I came up with a real basic design to hold 6 tubs and allow for belly heat in the back. My small rack will measure 31 1/4 tall, 33 3/4 wide and 23 inches deep and pretty much resemble a classic book shelf style.

I am using 15/32 plywood & 2x4 for framing it out. I think it may be some what heavy trying to move it around when I do eventually move, but not too bad. All the wood will be sealed with a water-based primer, then painted with Olypmpic white paint, which is zero VOC when you do not add any pigmentation.

For heating I plan on using Repti-Cable with HVAC tape. I have never used Repti-cable for anything, but the price is right and I am not really into trying to mess around with flexwatt.

The cable will be connected to a ReptiTemp 500R thermostat.

I will not place any animals into this rack until I get the results they require. So I will probably adjust temps and constantly measure the humidity levels on all the tubs, Just to be safe.

I will post a few pictures later and thank you for reading

Thanks

Re: Building my first rack

Sounds good! But honestly I would ditch the 500r and heat cable and replace it with flexwatt and a ranco/johnsons/helix/herpstat thermostat. Just my personal opinion though..

If you're worried about the flexwatt, Reptile Basics hooks it up for you for free. He's an awesome guy!
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!

Thanks

I just about finished and ended up with 8 spaces for tubs rather than 6. I am now leaning towards flexwatt and am wondering if you could explain how it works.

How do I know which length I should purchase for each tub?

Thanks

I am not an expert by any means but I am building myself a 10 slot rack with belly heat and this is what I plan on doing...

The shelves will be roughly 30" x 17". I will be using 4" flexwatt. 5 Shelves will be for 2x 15 qt tubs and on those shelves there will be one strip of 24"x4" of flexwatt. Therefore for each shelf I need to order 2 ft of flexwatt.

So you order your flexwatt, and if you're doing it on your own, you can follow the directions via the link below to learn how to wire it:

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...148383#1148383

If you're going to order from Reptile Basics, just order what you need and tell Rich what you need done. (for example, I would need 5x 24x4" strips wired.)

Hope this made sense and feel free to correct me if I am wrong about anything. This would also be my first rack build.
    Last edited by Sarin; 02-13-2010 at 04:55 PM.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Thanks

Are you against the idea of using a 500r or do you not think this is suitable? I used it on two glass tank UTH now and it has been working great for the past two years.

Does each flexwatt have to have it's own power cord? That seams like a lot to be plugging into one strip. I did see the Johnsons controls thermostat on RB. What do you think of that model?

Thanks

I have the 500r and am currently using it. It just isn't up to the job an 8 slot rack holds IMO.... I honestly wouldn't trust it with a rack such as that. (This is why I am switching to a Herpstat for my rack.)

If you cut the flexwatt, then yes each cut piece needs to have it's own cord. You can get say 10 ft of flexwatt.. Wire that whole 10 ft and just weave the flexwatt from one shelf to another, or hook it up as back heat. I prefer each shelf having it's own individual cords just for added security... I can unplug any shelves I may not be using or put a dimmer if I happen to get another animal that needs lower heat for example.

Heard good things about the johnsons controls, it would be a good choice. Johnsons and Rancos are on/off thermostats while Helix and Herpstats are more like controlled dimmers.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Thanks

Okay I am starting to understand

So instead of having a piece of flexwatt for each tub, you just run it along the entire bottom of each shelf. So myself having 4 shelves, I should measure & purchase only 4 lengths wired and plug them into the Johnson Controls stat?

Thanks for your advice

Thanks

Yep. Hook those 4 plugs into a power bar then plug the power bar into the thermostat.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Thanks

Will this do the trick? No other purchases necessary?

http://www.reptilebasics.com/johnson...pre-wired.html

Thanks

Besides the flexwatt and connectors.. Don't think so.
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sarin For This Useful Post:

Rorschach (02-13-2010)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast