Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,159

3 members and 3,156 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,130
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RelentlessPanda
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: newsweek baddest breeds! pythons are number 1!

i hope the burmese become number 3 or 4 on the food chain.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redpython View Post
    i hope the burmese become number 3 or 4 on the food chain.
    Now this type of saying isn't going to help us..

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pavlovk1025 View Post
    There are only a select few that were granted permits, they have to humanely euthanize on site or at a faciity. Severing the spinal cord from the brain is the most humane way to euthanize a burm.
    I think they can keep them too, not sure, but however they get removed is cool with me. Adoption or death, they gotta go.

This is good to know. The newsweek page made it seem like anyone could go on down to their nearest government office, pick up a permit and start shooting snakes. I really do hope all the Burms get taken out of the wild, one way or another.

Are there any (realistic and/or reliable) estimates as to how many there are out there?
    0.4 Normal BP
    1.0 Pastel BP
    0.1 Spider BP
    0.1 California Kingsnake
    1.0 Sudan Plated Lizard
    1.1 Long-haired Chihuahua

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    I tried to post on that page but had some problems.... So I'll unload here instead...

What about the human race? Everyday we destroy and consume any and everythings around us.. Also those pythons are in THIER natural habitat, so lets go on in and kill them for living and completeing the life cycle.. As for the post on the other page about the toddler, that is sad very sad I have a 6 year old daughter and would be crushed if that happen.... BUT if you own a large snake like that you know well enough what they can do and how strong they are. LOCK THE CAGE!!!!!! I think I'm done ranting not sure though if not I'LL BE BACK!!!!!!

Whisky Tang Foxtrot
    Well, see, I agree with you except that they are not in their natural habitat. They are invasive and dangerous to the natural wildlife. Danger to humans is not that big of a problem to me. There have been a little over a dozen deaths by constrictors in over 20 years, but nearly 50 people are killed a year by dogs. That's almost a death a week.

Quote Originally Posted by MustBeSatan View Post
    This is good to know. The newsweek page made it seem like anyone could go on down to their nearest government office, pick up a permit and start shooting snakes. I really do hope all the Burms get taken out of the wild, one way or another.

Are there any (realistic and/or reliable) estimates as to how many there are out there?
    Unfortunately no. We can only guess because the original estimates were quite high, and now that they are being hunted it's been noted that they are not seeing nearly as many as they expected to find.

The cold spell a week or so ago also took it's toll on the burms, as well as other invasive species and natural wildlife.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Nope. We need to know what's going on. If nothing negative was posted, no one would know about the python ban bill. That bill is certainly negative!
    Ok i understand your point.What i am trying to say is when those "certain" people go looking at our site they will notice the negative stuff first.Then they will take that false info and spread it like the plague.There is a differance between knowing about the banning laws and reading the false stuff posted in the papers .
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joepythons View Post
    Ok i understand your point.What i am trying to say is when those "certain" people go looking at our site they will notice the negative stuff first.Then they will take that false info and spread it like the plague.There is a differance between knowing about the banning laws and reading the false stuff posted in the papers .
    Yet the vast majority of 'negative' posts have many people posting responding at how absurd it is.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
    Yet the vast majority of 'negative' posts have many people posting responding at how absurd it is.
    You really think that someone searching for all the negativity is going to link this forum? No, they're going to gather all the news articles and post those, individually. It doesn't matter what we say in response, if we post it, they'll use it.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Newsweek disgusts me.

Thanks

IMO, now there are far too many pythons to capture. They are breeding and will continue to, and there really is no way of capturing them all and killing them off. If there is a way, it'll take a really long time because, from what I have read, the python population is now in the hundred-thousands.
    Tiff'z Morphz

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    IMO, now there are far too many pythons to capture. They are breeding and will continue to, and there really is no way of capturing them all and killing them off. If there is a way, it'll take a really long time because, from what I have read, the python population is now in the hundred-thousands.
    Don't believe everything you read in the news Tiffany. People who are actual snake experts estimate only a couple thousand, which is a number than can easily be managed with by hunt/capture programs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12