Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,371

3 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered User SinisterSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: How to Herp Photography

I have a fujifilm--- I'm at work so I can't tell you the model number right off--- but it has a marco and super macro for those really close up shots and I love it!!! The only thing is that when using the super macro you have to have a really steady hand or the pic comes out blurred or you need a tripod. I bought mine off ebay for less than $200 and its the best by far I've had and I've owned quite a few. If you are interested in researching this camera pm me and when I get home I'll let you know what model number it is.
    http://sinisterserpents.weebly.com
    1.1.1 TOO MANY CORNS, BALL PYTHONS, HOGGIES, KINGS, GARTERS, MILKS, COPPERHEADS, RATS.......2.0 Boston Terriers~0.1 Olde English Bulldogge~1.0 American Pit Bull Terrier~2.0 Ferrets ♥♥RIP DAISY♥♥

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SinisterSerpents For This Useful Post:

Skiploder (02-13-2010)

Thanks

Macro lens with a ring flash. A light tent with 3 100 watt daylight lamps. A nice surface, mirror,tile,ect.

I use a Canon Rebel xsi with a canon macro lens EF-S 60mm canon MR-14EX ring flash.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

A decent camera with a good lens with great amount of light and a great subject. Practice a lot!

Thanks

Re: Herp Photography

you dont nec. need a macro lens.

if you are using a point and shoot, give yourself some distance and use the zoom so the flash doesn't blow out the shot.

Thanks

A little note to add about how to take the shot-notice the angles that the best pictures are taken at. Better pictures are usually closer to eye level with the animal rather than shot from above. You usually can't go wrong with taking a shot when their head is at a 45 degree angle from you (ex Dave763's python pic). Looking up composition helps...like knowing the "rule of thirds." Little things like that can help a lot. The more you learn about photography and the more you practice, the better your shots will be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redpython View Post
    you dont nec. need a macro lens.

if you are using a point and shoot, give yourself some distance and use the zoom so the flash doesn't blow out the shot.
    I have tried both ways and found that using the zoom method usually reduces the quality of the photo. The macro lens really allows you to get up close without sacrificing image quality. As for flash, I don't use the camera flash. Exterior lighting for me produces the best results.
    Control is an illusion.

Thanks

My Equipment (ill have to post pics later):

Canon Rebel XSI + Stock Lens + 55 - 250mm Lens + 3-set Extention Tubes (to mimic a Macro lens).

A tripod and good lighting is a must as well. Tripod especially for me since I have unsteady hands.

Thanks

I personally use a Sony Cybershot H20, and I love it. It is what you could consider a "bridge" camera. I used to use a HP M425 and I was still able to get decent shots, but it took a lot more patience. I think the key to good pictures is lighting and patience. I would consider the HP I had mediocre and I was able to get this:

With my Sony, the difference is obvious. First of all it is much easier to use and the image quality is much better. Here are a few with my Sony.

some day old pinkies.

Abigail McDufford
    Wallflower Herpetoculture / iHerp

10. The Following User Says Thank You to abi21491 For This Useful Post:

h00blah (07-30-2010)

Thanks

I have a Sony DSC-HX1 and it is really good - also in dark situations where you don't want to use a flash. And not that expensive - in the US you get it almost for free I think And it is also kind of small compared to a pro camera

Thanks

You'd be amazed what a difference an SLR makes, even for someone like myself who has always enjoyed photography, but never taken the time to fully delve into it.

These were taken with my 8.3 MP Canon Rebel XT, stock lens, no special lighting. The photos were simply taken from normal distance, then zoomed in on a basic Mac picture editor, no fancy photoshopping or anything.

IV:XIII

1.0 Pastel Ball Python (Wyatt)
    1.0 Albino Colombian RTB (Doc)

iHerp...Do You?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast