Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,072

1 members and 3,071 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Ive been reading about "IBD disease"...

I was looking up this ibd disease and it says boas can go a few years without even showing signs of this disease.

None of my 3 snakes have this that i know of this but some sites i was reading about this on were saying you should get your boas tested for it.

I have 1 boa and i would like to know if its really necessary for me to get my snake tested for it?
    -Zach
    My Snakes
    1.0 Bp 09' normal
    0.1 Bp 09' pastel
    0.1 Boa (bci) 09' hypo/ghost

Thanks

Re: Ive been reading about "IBD disease"...

If your BPs didn't suddenly drop dead then no.
    0.1 Delilah - Ball Python
    1.0 Silas - Colombian Red Tail Boa
    1.0 Drew - Ball Python
    0.1 Benny - Colombian Red Tail Boa
    0.1 Zooey RIP - Ball Python

Thanks

IBD (Inclusion Body Disease) is believed to be a retrovirus (electron microscopy shows that it falls into this category).

Viral inclusion bodies are defined as abnormal structures which appear within the cell nucleus, the cytoplasm, or both, during the course of virus multiplication. In general, the inclusion bodies are concerned with the developmental processes of the virus. In some virus infections, inclusion bodies may be simply masses of maturing virus particles. In other infections, typical inclusion bodies do not appear until after the virus has multiplied. Such inclusions may be remnants of the process of virus multiplication.

IBD affects boids---Boas and Pythons---only. Though boas are generally blamed for the spread of the disease, IBD can spawn in all boids. Boas are asymptomatic carriers of the disease---they rarely show signs of the disease until the animal dies. In pythons, the disease usually progresses more visually and rapidly. The disease, however, is one of the few that CAN take up to a year or more to show itself symptomatically, in all boids.

Symptoms: Signs of infection in boas include central nervous system disorders such as paralysis, being unable to right itself when turned over, "star-gazing", inability to strike or constrict. Other signs include chronic regurgitation, extreme weight loss, respiratory infections, and retained shed due to the inability to control body movements enough to rub off the old skin. The disease is rapidly fatal in young and juvenile animals, typified by rapid onset of flaccid paralysis.

Along with the above symptoms (excluding the chronic regurgitation), pythons tend toward infectious stomatitis (mouth rot), heightened or exaggerated reflex responses, disorientation (which may be precipitated by the onset of central blindness), and loss of motor coordination.

IBD has been described as the HIV virus for snakes---it is not the actual retrovirus that kills the snake, but the bacterial infections that strike the snake while its immune system and organs are under attack.

Prevention and Treatment: It is unknown how the disease is spread. Mites have been found and blamed in collections infected with IBD, but not in all cases. It is believed to be spread like a virus: through contact between infectious organisms (such as housing an infected snake with a previously healthy one), through the air, or by the keeper passing secretions from one snake or enclosure to another during the course of handling or cleaning (when strict quarantine and cleaning procedures are not followed).

There is at this time no treatment for the disease and, as it is at this time always fatal and highly contagious, euthanasia is the course of action recommended. Even if the snake can be kept alive through supportive measures (hydration and force-feeding), the damage to the nerves, brain, spinal cord and internal organs is so great--and progressive--that life is only prolonged with an ever-decreasing quality and increasing pain.

Because boas are asymptomatic carriers---and pythons can be as well---just because as animal is not showing signs of the disease does NOT mean they are not infected or immune. The only way to test for the disease is via organ biopsy, usually of the liver. This procedure is expensive and not always conclusive.

IBD is always fatal and highly contagious. Euthanasia is the recommended course of action for infected boids. Even if the snake can be kept alive through supportive measures (hydration and force-feeding), the damage to the nerves, brain, spinal cord and internal organs is so great--and progressive--that life is only prolonged with an ever-decreasing quality and increasing pain.

Though the disease is thought to be rare, it is also possible that the disease is much more prevalent in collections than people realize. This is mainly due to the fact that very few people get necropsies done and even fewer send organs off for pathology. The death of an animal may be chalked up to an unexplained death or a secondary illness such as an RI. Also, most people who get afflicted by IBD, and know it, tell no one. Once a collection has IBD, the owner of that collection can carry the stigma of the disease for years to come. Because this could be financially devastating for a person dependant on selling these animals for a living, it is possible that, even should a big breeder’s collection take a hit, they would not admit it.

IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED TO QUARANTINE ALL BOIDS FOR 3 TO 6 MONTHS TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF THIS DISEASE INTO AN ESTABLISHED COLLECTION.

Sources:
    B.W. Smith of Southern Reptile Education (www.reptileeducation.com)

Melissa Kaplan’s Article on IBD

I wrote this up for everyone that comes on the site with questions about IBD... Enjoy!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Zach (02-10-2010)

Thanks

i have one and i havent worried about it all my snakes are still around. also sorry for hijacking but

my question about IBD is, Is it as common as the magazines and everything else about claims it to be?
    1.1 Normal Ball, 1.0 Db Het Pied Hypo,
    1.1 100% Het Pied, 0.1 Super Pastel, 1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel Yellow Belly, 0.2 Yellow Belly, 0.1 Red tail boa
    0.0.1 Grey band king snake, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    Miss my Ferret alot wish i didn't have to give her up
    1.1 het red axanthic, 1.0 albino, 1.0 black pastel
    1.0 woma, 1.0 pinstripe, 0.1 pastel

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    i have one and i havent worried about it all my snakes are still around. also sorry for hijacking but

my question about IBD is, Is it as common as the magazines and everything else about claims it to be?

Depends on who you talk to.

A boa breeder will say no.

Dr. Elliott Jacobsen paints a grimmer picture.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

Monty (02-10-2010),scutechute (02-10-2010)