Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,277

1 members and 3,276 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

View Poll Results: Would you use a hova-bator?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - For the price it's fine

53 49.07%
  • No (please explain why)

55 50.93%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Hova-bator... yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Quiet Tempest View Post
    I used a Hovabator for jungle carpet python eggs last year and didn't have any problems. If you go this route, however, I wouldn't use the model with the fan. The fan will increase temps quite a bit and I was told it's safer (for the eggs) if temps are a little too low than to be a little too high.
    They also tend to dry out the eggs too much as well. At least that's my experience with corn eggs. I've seen people use the heating element and controls from a Hovabator to make a larger uncubator, so that could be an option for later on when you're expecting more than one clutch!

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

Thanks

I have never produced a clutch but I plan to in the near future.

I will never trust a Hova-Bator with BP eggs using the thermostat it comes with. I would rather save up and get what I know will work without worry. Honestly, for me, an extra $100 is worth not having to constantly worry and check on temperatures. Especially given the fact that I work 9-13 hour days.

I am using a $25 cooler with a $25 water heater (Can easily hold 4-5 clutches). Only $50 but the incubator. Hook it up to a Herpstat ($120) and I am good to go virtually worry-free. It holds 100% humidity and 88-89 degrees perfectly.

Also, I wouldn't use a Repti-Temp for an incubator.

If your breeding season has to wait an extra few months for you to come up with the extra funds, then so be it. At least this way you will not have to stress so much for 2 months.

Just my $0.02. Good luck!
    ~ Nicole
    www.CanadianRegius.com

Click to Like & Subscribe to Candian Regius!

BPnet Veteran TheReptileEnthusiast's Avatar
    Thanks

I voted no for two reasons.

First is the wafer "thermostat". It has to be calibrated to your room temp, but if your room temp changes, then so does your incubator temp. If you are going to spend extra money on a real thermostat, then you may as well use the money you were going to spend on the hovabator and do a DIY with a free fridge or cooler and heat tape.

Second is the size. It just is not a long term solution for BP's. We all no how addicting they can be. Even if you only have one clutch planned this year, chances are you will have multiple clutches soon enough, and you will have to upgrade anyway.

Thanks

Something thats simple to make but will cost you about $300.00 to make. This incubator here will work for any egg with any temp or humidity. This design is used by Green Tree Python breeders and it took me about a day to put together once I had all the pieces. If your new to the scene you want to get the best incubator you can afford and maby then some. But after a clutch or 2 it will pay for itself. If anyone wants the link to the website on how to build one just PM me.

2.0 Pastel Ball
    0.1 Spider Ball
    3.2.1 Northern Emerald Tree Boa
    0.1 Amazon Basin Emerald Tree Boa
    2.0 Green Tree Python
    2.1 IJ Carpet Python, one male a Jag

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdamM For This Useful Post:

Lolo76 (03-13-2010)

Thanks

Thanks for the advice - and yes, I would like to see that website (mentioned in the last post).

I ended up getting a free mini-fridge on craigslist, and just ordered some heat tape to install... just have to figure out how to do everything now. I have a few websites and videos to study, but I'm really not a handy girl! Anyway, I'll let you all know how it works out.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks

I voted NO. I didn't think wasting the $ on an incubator that will hold one clutch. That means one hova-bator per clutch...NOT practical.

This is what inspired us to make one.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86646

I went on Craigslist and found a FREE mini fridge that was OUT of freon. Hence no disposal issues. Removed all the bells and whistles and filled/covered holes. Used existing holes to run the probe and electric computer fan cord then sealed the holes with expanding foam. It was REALLY EASY . I'm sure you would have no problem making one. Just run it for a while before eggs to make sure its good to go.

Fridge - Free
    Thermostat - $120 (Herpstat)
    Heat Tape - $15 (I think)
    Computer Fan - $5
    Foam (one can) - $6
    Aluminum Foil Tape - $12
    Heavy Duty Extension Cord - $10

Ours holds 8 - 6qt. tubs.
    ~Jessica~

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lolo76 View Post
    but I'm really not a handy girl! Anyway, I'll let you all know how it works out.
    better find a handy man then free labor

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Hovabators hold two clutches, even if they're large. You just can't put them in bins, you have to put all the eggs directly into the incubator.

Have you seen ZooMed's new ReptiBator? This thing looks NICE. Tremendous value for the price. It could also hold at least 2 clutches, and may have the headroom to allow you to put them in boxes, too. It's taller than a HovaBator from what I understand.

YouTube - Zoo Med Reptibator Reptile Incubator - The Best Digital Incubator

The sole issue I see with it is, I would want an audible alarm, not just a flashing display, so I would probably hook up a separate temperature alarm. But the fact you can just take this thing, plug it into the wall, set it, and incubate two clutches...that's pretty darned nice.
    Last edited by WingedWolfPsion; 03-13-2010 at 01:57 AM.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Danounet (05-13-2010),Lolo76 (03-13-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 888 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    Hovabators hold two clutches, even if they're large. You just can't put them in bins, you have to put all the eggs directly into the incubator.
    Wrong i placed my eggs in containers from walmart and was able to place 2 in each hovabator . For the ball python eggs i used a rubbermaid 128 oz 1 gal large rectangle container.Measurments were 13 inches long 9" wide and 3" deep this one held 7 eggs with room for one more.In the same hovabator i had sterelite container also.Measurments were 9" long 6 and a half inches wide and 4" deep,it held 2 eggs with no more room left
    Last edited by joepythons; 03-13-2010 at 02:14 AM.
    Joe Haggard

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by f4n70m View Post
    better find a handy man then free labor
    That's what I'm hoping for, LOL. One of my friends was supposed to help, but then he decided to leave town for a few months... gotta find someone else now!
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast