Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,223

1 members and 3,222 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,576
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Recently switched Louise

From a 55 gallon tank with another snake to a 34qt Sterilite tub with a heat pad on my shelf.
    I left the other snake in the big tank because he doesn't have trouble shedding even though the humidity is tough to keep up. Also, he climbs a lot and I don't know if I should move him to such a drastically smaller enclosure or not.
    I noticed that Louise had used the hide in the big tank but they were big enough that both snakes could fit in each one. Now that the hide has to be so much smaller she won't use it and kinda just sits by her water bowl.

Is it okay for her to not use her hide? I can't really find anything big enough and small enough at the same time, if that makes sense.
    Last edited by sarahlovesmiike; 02-09-2010 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks

Re: Recently switched Louise

ur snake in the water bowl is sign that it is stressed and needs a proper hide. u can use just about anything so finding one shouldnt be that hard. as for the snake in the bigger tank, if it is fine and doesnt seem stressed out in the big cage then leave it be. try putting more water bowls in there or a humid hide to help with the humidity and shedding. do u use a UTH or light, cuz a light will suck up all ur humidity. and good job separating them. they dont like being together and will compete for better hides or warmth or food.

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Recently switched Louise

Quote Originally Posted by sarahlovesmiike View Post
    From a 55 gallon tank with another snake to a 34qt Sterilite tub with a heat pad on my shelf.
    I left the other snake in the big tank because he doesn't have trouble shedding even though the humidity is tough to keep up. Also, he climbs a lot and I don't know if I should move him to such a drastically smaller enclosure or not.
    I noticed that Louise had used the hide in the big tank but they were big enough that both snakes could fit in each one. Now that the hide has to be so much smaller she won't use it and kinda just sits by her water bowl.

Is it okay for her to not use her hide? I can't really find anything big enough and small enough at the same time, if that makes sense.
    1: Ok, well you say you got a heat pad, do you have a thermostat or a dimmer/rheostat to control it? Those "heat pads" can get over 110 degrees! Make sure whenever setting up a new snake enclosure to always have something to control temps otherwise you can have a cooked snake in not time.

2: You say you left the other tank because it didn't have a hard time shedding, it will so take it out....Also, that is a huge tank that could cause security problems. Snakes are private creatures and some are sensitive to being on display all the time. If you want to put him in tank put him in a 20L, 55 is too large and is overkill.

If I were you I would just switch them both to bins like you did with the other one and buy a thermostat to control temps.