Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,367

0 members and 3,367 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

Compadibility issues with pets?

I have a mini Schnauzer and I want to get another dog. But I don't know how he'll react. People with multible dogs when you got another dog, how did your first dog act and how did you get them to get along?

Thanks

Re: Compadibility issues with pets?

I have 2 dogs my sister has 3 and I watched all 5 for a few weeks.The first thing to do is (if you save 1 from a rescue give him a good bath) a long controled walk start out with 1 dog on either side of you after they get in the zone (ears back head down focoused on migration) then bring them side by side and keep going walk at a good pace you may have to correct 1 or both as you go dont let 1 in front of the other YOUR THE BOSS walk them till they are tired then let them sniff and meet . dont let them meet face to face with out a good walk it could cause trouble. that has worked for me many times. after some work I was able to walk a 100lb germen sheperd , 80 golden,60lb pit,60 blue heeler,and a 30lb spanial mix all at the same time and they live together with no real problems.You can do this it will take some time and work but worth every bit.GOOD LUCK

Thanks

Re: Compadibility issues with pets?

Before I got my new Dobe pup 2 wks ago, I fostered dogs off and on and my 2 yr old Dobe wasnt thrilled at all the first few days. But with me showing her that it's not her decision to determine if the new dog is welcome or not she comes around. I have to take her territory from her and make her share it. She is smart enough and will get the idea.

But you do have to prepare for the worst. They do have a mind of their own and may go at it from time to time but if you are ready and see the signs of aggression or dominance you can easily stop it before a fight breaks out. And it will slowly train their mind that fighting is not allowed.

It doesnt matter what breed, size, or sex any dog can live with a new dog if you are committed to make it happen.

I get so tire of craigslist folks getting rid of a dog because their old dog didnt like them and they fight. Those are lazy, irresponsible owners who just think everything will be peachy with no effort involved. Good Luck!
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    0.0.1 Alligator mississippiensis
    1.1 Dobermans