Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,283

0 members and 3,283 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts
    Nice build!! I bet she is heavy though.

1/2" XPVC is readily available for ~$100 for a 4'x8' sheet. Two sheets will get you an 11 tub high 41qt rack using Sterilite tubs with enough left over to build a 24 tub hatchling rack.

Add $50 of heat tape, $25 for some 1" x 4" pine and you are set.

Two racks for under $300- just add your thermostats

2. The Following User Says Thank You to CD CONSTRICTORS For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (11-03-2014)

Thanks

Re: Completed 41 qt Sterilite Rack

Corey can you give me the dimensions of the cuts I want it to be a duel purpose rack tho 2 28qts or 1 41 per shelf

BPnet Senior Member Solarsoldier001's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,086 Times in 785 Posts

That looks awesome. That double possibility is pretty good idea

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Boys:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pewter - Dexter | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Butters | Super Fire - Mr. Buttons | Mystic - Charming | Banana Enchi Woma - Gizmo |
    Girls:________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________
    Pinstripe - Honey | Mojave - Maya | Lesser - Pepper | Calico 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Jewel | Normal 100% Het Pied - Hinata | Butter 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Aurora | Spider 100% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Betsy | Blue Eye Leustic 50% Het Orange Ghost (Hypo) - Snowflake | Spinner Blast - Jasmin | Butterbee - Ariel | Hypo Butter - Penelope |

BPnet Senior Member CD CONSTRICTORS's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,163 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zachbinger View Post
    Corey can you give me the dimensions of the cuts I want it to be a duel purpose rack tho 2 28qts or 1 41 per shelf
    11 high rack using 28qt Sterlite tubs..... you can get 12 pieces out of one sheet cut at 15 7/8" x 23 3/4" and not much left over for scrap.....

11 high rack using 41qt sterlite tubs.... you can get 12 pieces 15 7/8" x 35" for the 41qt rack and have twelve 13' x 16' pieces left over to make a 22 tub hatchling rack.

25' of 4" THG will be plenty for all 11 tubs for either rack. Get some aluminum foil tape at Lowes.... $7 a roll for like 100yds. Vertical supports are 1' x 4" appearance grade pine.... eight 6' pieces are all you need. 2 on the back, 3 on each side. I screw the back side pieces into the back pieces to make a good corner support in the back.

Do not pay attention to the dimensions listed on the tubs themselves..... that is with the lid on. For perfect spacing of the shelves I cut 2 pieces of 1/8" luan sheeting. Place one on the shelf.... put the tub on top of it.... lay the second piece of luan on top of the tub and then the next shelf on top of that. Screw in place.... I used 1 1/2" fine thread drywall screws. It is easiest to drill a pilot hole through the frame supports and into the XPVC.... that way the wood will not split when you tighten the screws. I use a level when assembling each shelf to ensure equal spacing for the entire rack.

Just make a frame for under the first shelf with 2" x 4" pine. Screw the first shelf to the framing making sure you countersink any screws that may run under the heat tape. I place duct tape over any screws near the heat tape just in case.... Murphy's Law applies here!!

I screwed in 2" caster wheels on each corner on the bottom of the 2" x 4" frame. Place the wheels on when you are COMPLETELY done with the rack assembly... running heat tape and all. It's a pain to chase the rack around while trying to assemble the shelves and run heat tape... lol!!

Hope you have a good cordless drill!! I have a 18v Rigid hammer drill/screw gun and it can't quite assemble one rack on a single battery if you drill pilot holes first. Dual 18v batteries for the win

XPVC= $98 a sheet
    2" x 4" x 8' for the frame= $3
    (8) 1" x 4" x 6' pine= $40
    (4) 2" caster wheels= $16
    25ft of THG= $50
    Drywall screws= $5

Tally for a 28qt rack is $212 + T-Stat of your choice.... 41qt rack is slightly more at $350 only if you build a hatchling rack as well with the 13" x 16" XPVC pieces leftover (you need more THG, caster wheels and wood for the supports). If you buy 10ft pieces of 1" x 4" supports you will have enough left to have supports for the hatchling rack...... measure twice, cut once!!

I was going to video a build of one shelf, but it is so simple I didn't think it was necessary. If you can't build one of these racks, you shouldn't breed bp's

Stay tuned for the incubator build..... 3 sheets of XPVC turned into a 18" x 36" x 72" incubator that will hold 48 clutches

BPnet Senior Member AlexisFitzy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,712 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Lawson View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll continue to build more as I need them instead of buying them any more. I get a nice feeling of accomplishment when I get projects like this done. Plus it's nice to be able to build them to my specifications.
    This is probably one of my favorite write ups on a 41qt rack. There are not many of them where people are building an enclosed rack. Which is what I prefer because it holds heat much better in the winter time. I also like the added security and look of it much better. Thanks so much for sharing this with is I will definitely use this as a reference whenever I start building mine. I'll just be using a much lighter material lol.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Do you deliver? lol

Looking sharp!
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

AlexisFitzy (11-12-2014)

Thanks
    Did you cut the 1/8 sheets to provide a 1/4 space between each tub and shelf. Like you added them, screwed in then removed to ensure there was a gap. I just ordered 12 snakes and I want to build this rack. Could I make a 12th shelf and still have enough heat tape. Also since I am getting few month old snakes. Can I use the 411 with a divider in them so they don't get stressed from too much space. Do you only need one thermostat for the whole rack. Thanks for your help.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123