Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,231

1 members and 2,230 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

Question how long does it take to digest?

alrighty so this is my first post so bear with. i just bought my bp about 20 days ago i fed it an adult mouse the first day i got it... its been almost a week now and i haven't seen any droppings .. wondering about how long does it take to pass an adult mouse... dont know if this was a mistake but i fed him this morning another one.. tank temp 80 under his rock 85 on the right and 78 on the left side .. humid is 40 atm cant keep it above 50 for longer then 4 hours.. under tank heater is being used..

Registered User Kyle@theHeathertoft's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: how long does it take to digest?

I had exactly the same concern not long ago, lol! I haven't had a BP in years so I had kindof forgotten their quirks...and I have two other resident snakes, colubrids, who poop like a day after eating, so I kindof panicked when my new BP hadn't gone in a week since eating.

I asked around and have been reassured that the lack of poop isn't something to be too worried about...they seem to hold it forever, lol! My boy's last mouse hasn't produced a poop either, and unless he rejects due to being in shed right now he's getting another mouse tonight.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tizzle89 View Post
    alrighty so this is my first post so bear with. i just bought my bp about 20 days ago i fed it an adult mouse the first day i got it... its been almost a week now and i haven't seen any droppings .. wondering about how long does it take to pass an adult mouse... dont know if this was a mistake but i fed him this morning another one.. tank temp 80 under his rock 85 on the right and 78 on the left side .. humid is 40 atm cant keep it above 50 for longer then 4 hours.. under tank heater is being used..
    Welcome. A couple things. Your time line doesn't make since. If you got your snake 20 days ago and you fed it on day one then then its been almost 3 weeks. Each BP is different and they are going to defecate when they defecate. Unless you start seeing a large bulge at the vent you should be fine. You should feed on your schedule and not worry about bowel movements so much. My BP will often save up a few mice and leave me a great big surprise when she sheds. I would not start worrying for at least another week.

Next is temps. Can you show us a picture of your setup. You should have two identical hides that are tight fitting, one on the warm side one on the cool side. The warm side should be a bit warmer. I shoot for 89 to 91 although lately I am thinking about dropping that to 88 to 90 based on my snakes use of her hides. Your cool side doesn't seem to bad and if you bring up your temps on the warm side just a little you should be perfect.

Humidity, if we see a picture of your setup we should be able to help. If you are using any lamps that give off heat you could stop as they suck out humidity. I use a florescent fish tank light for my lighting. BP's are nocturnal so the lighting is all for you not for your snake. Also you could try reducing the ventilation. If you have your snake in a tank you could easily cover 75% of the top and have great ventilation.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Egapal For This Useful Post:

ssg150102 (07-27-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Egapal View Post
    Welcome. A couple things. Your time line doesn't make since. If you got your snake 20 days ago and you fed it on day one then then its been almost 3 weeks. Each BP is different and they are going to defecate when they defecate. Unless you start seeing a large bulge at the vent you should be fine. You should feed on your schedule and not worry about bowel movements so much. My BP will often save up a few mice and leave me a great big surprise when she sheds. I would not start worrying for at least another week.

Next is temps. Can you show us a picture of your setup. You should have two identical hides that are tight fitting, one on the warm side one on the cool side. The warm side should be a bit warmer. I shoot for 89 to 91 although lately I am thinking about dropping that to 88 to 90 based on my snakes use of her hides. Your cool side doesn't seem to bad and if you bring up your temps on the warm side just a little you should be perfect.

Humidity, if we see a picture of your setup we should be able to help. If you are using any lamps that give off heat you could stop as they suck out humidity. I use a florescent fish tank light for my lighting. BP's are nocturnal so the lighting is all for you not for your snake. Also you could try reducing the ventilation. If you have your snake in a tank you could easily cover 75% of the top and have great ventilation.
    guess your right on the time line it has been atleast 10 to 15 i live in alaska so the days flow very nicely together lol.. ill upload a pic soon. its nothing spec just a reg snake starter kit 20 gal i do believe with 2 lights on top of a screen lid since my room temp is useally 60 degs i use a 100 wat basking light on 1 side and a 100 wat night light on the other side depending on what my room temp is max light i use is 2 hundred wat basking lights < but thats if i dont have my space heater going in my room. i put some moss in his cool side next to his wood cuz to me it looks like he might shed.. top of his head is turning a blueish color in the light <grey> and his belly is turning pink instead of the norm tan...

Thanks

The vast majority of royals (young ones anyway) will only defacate when they shed.

Kept at the correct temperature the meal takes 24-72 hours to be digested, but they can hang on a long time before they need to 'go'

Thanks

alright lets see if this works

he has his night lights on atm 60 watt black light and the 100 watt red light

under his hide is the 81 degree the back gage shows the over all temp in the cage and the humid .. leting it drop atm since im about to clean the cage and re hydrate his dirt ... using eco earth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

The norm for my guys average about 3 in, 1 out...
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

A comment on your hide. I wasted a lot of money on about 4-5 of the hides that have more than one opening. (small ones when my snakes were small). They really seem to prefer the exo-terro ones that only have one opening. I would recommend that (your brand of choice certainly, but the type of cave with only one door).
    2.0 Normal BP (Paradox, Charade)
    1.0 Nicaraguan Boa (Enigma)
    1.0 Cube Stripe Corn (Ember)
    0.1 Motley Sunglow Corn (Phoenix)
    0.0.1 Sinaloan Milk (Pastiche)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

your probed thermometer should be right on the glass where the UTH is under the substrate. You should measure the hottest point in the snakes enclosure so you can be assured that it doesn't get too hot.

I would completely disregard the readings on those stick on round gauges. They are very inaccurate. Get another thermometer with a probe or get an accurite weather station from the home depot, lowes, or walmart.

I think you need to sort out your temps a bit, they seem to be all over the place. You should have a distinct hot and cool side. Hot side should be 90-92*F and the cool side should be in the low 80's.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaorte View Post
    your probed thermometer should be right on the glass where the UTH is under the substrate. You should measure the hottest point in the snakes enclosure so you can be assured that it doesn't get too hot.

I would completely disregard the readings on those stick on round gauges. They are very inaccurate. Get another thermometer with a probe or get an accurite weather station from the home depot, lowes, or walmart.

I think you need to sort out your temps a bit, they seem to be all over the place. You should have a distinct hot and cool side. Hot side should be 90-92*F and the cool side should be in the low 80's.
    the digital thermometer is the yellow thing on the front i just use the round one for an overall temp of the cage and humid. the temps are constant always 80 under his hide <under the rock and under the dirt under the hide>
    it will get to 90+ under his basking light and i set that one over his water dish.. i have an issue with humid so i fig thats the best spot<evaporate the water=humid lol> then i use just a norm 50 watt daylight over his wood and currently moss<78-80 there.

he seems to enjoy this setup its a nice temp under the hide and hot n cold on either side... but i read somewhere that he doesnt need uvb so now i have to buy ceramic lights? lmk on this

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast