Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

0 members and 2,811 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,562
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
    Thanks

Po the cigarette smoking snake? Had to share.

This seems really weird to me (Click the link for a pic of the snake smoking)

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2010...cigarettes.php

With habitat loss and climate change threatening ecosystems across the world, animals have enough to worry about, but now it seems some are picking up on our unhealthier habits as well. Sure, we've seen alcoholic monkeys tipping back a few on St. Kitts, and that's bad enough--but they do have hands, after all. That can't be said for Po the snake, who's picked up a nasty habit of his own. Po can't start off his day without his morning cigarette--that is, according to his owner, who smokes a pack a day herself. Does this count as animal cruelty?

Po's owner, Sho Lau of Taiwan, said the 3-year-old snake discovered the habit on his own with no coercion--perhaps thinking that it would make him seem 'cool'.

He is very tame and one day when I threw a cigarette butt away he went for it and seemed to enjoy having it in his mouth. One thing led to another and before long he was having one cigarette in the morning and another at night.

According to the report from Metro, Po is grumpy if he doesn't have the chance to light up at least a couple of times a day. Lau added that the snake "gets very agitated if I don't have [a cigarette] to spare."

If not animal cruelty, it's at least a pretty clear case of enabling--and we should hope that Po's owner doesn't have any other nasty addictions to pass on to the reptile. Because if there's one thing the world could do without, it would be junkie snakes.

Then again, there's the possibility that Sho Lau may be playing a bit of a prank on the media, and that Po may actually be a non-smoker. This should be our hope, since after all, everybody knows that yellow fangs are quite unflattering on a snake.
    1.3 ball pythons (albino, het albino, pastel, lesser)
    1.4 leopard geckos (reverse stripe tremper albino, tangerine, carrot tail, snake eyed, patternless)
    0.1.4 corns (snow, classic, amel, stripe, ghost stripe)
    0.0.1 pueblan milksnake

Thanks

Re: Po the cigarette smoking snake? Had to share.

I dont believe it unless i see a video of it.

it's also a pit viper like they say here lol - http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/811367-...-on-cigarettes

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Nah,

That's a taiwan beauty snake. As noted the metro is not the most reliable newspaper out there - it's the one they give away free on buses.

And I'd cure it of its addiction by cuffing the owner upside the head every time he tried to give it a cig.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Nah,

That's a taiwan beauty snake. As noted the metro is not the most reliable newspaper out there - it's the one they give away free on buses.

And I'd cure it of its addiction by cuffing the owner upside the head every time he tried to give it a cig.

dr del
    LOL well said