Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,369

1 members and 3,368 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Rats Keep Dying...

Quote Originally Posted by Wretched Deviant View Post
    All right, I'll look into some things. We're in a two person household me and my fiancee, he works all the time so I run the house really. But no one uses Bleach, not for clothing, cleaning, anything...I got a high powered steam cleaner for the reptile cages awhile back that just uses water. I don't use makeup or nail polish so I don't have nail polish at all. I use either vinegar or ammonia to mop the floors and Old English to coat the wood and seal cracks. The only cleaning supplies I use otherwise are SOS pads in the kitchen and a cheap version of Windex in the bathroom, everything else is generally a little Dawn and hot water. I actually stopped keeping the rats in aquariums lately, I've only been keeping two to three rats at a time in a cage that's open oh...let me see if I can find a picture of an example...

http://wb7.itrademarket.com/pdimage/..._habitrail.jpg

minus the little up top area I usually keep one rat or two weanlings in that one,

http://petstuffresale.com/Pet_Stuff/...entCage_lg.jpg

and I think the one I have is a little bigger but I keep two adults or three weanlings or small adults in that one.

I'm just really confused as far as environmental except the food...I mean there's thirty something mice all with the same type of setups (except they have aquariums or full wire cages) and none of them are sick and the only fatalities have been from rival mothers. All the soft furs were first time mothers so I understand some loss of babies. But other than normal deaths on those they're all healthy. I have one cage in the same room as the mice and other rodents and one in the main part of the house and both cages have fatalities pretty soon after getting them.

And, actually...Petco and Petsmart refuse to do any exchange or return on pet rats or mice. I bought my Gerbils from them, they made me sign a bunch of papers that I was buying this pet and was going to take care of it and so on, these are vets and hotlines to call stuff like that. I bought two female rats and nothing, when they died a couple days later and I tried to return them they said they couldn't do a return for them. I haven't tried Petland because that store has really gotten on my nerves lately. I went in there for the first time in one and a half years and every dog was sick and severly underweight (they looked like they had Parvo), several birds had broken wings, the ferrets were unweaned and too young, and the Leopard Geckos (four of them in one cage) looked like this:
    I'm not sure I want to try buying rats from them, honestly simply from the conditions of other animals for sale there and rats are kept in the back where I can't inspect them before buying. If I had a camera or cell phone with me I would have taken my own pictures to come back later when the manager was in and show him/her. I used to like Petland for that reason that they're generally smaller and would buy local stuff, and I did go in with the idea of getting a couple rats but...they just kind of scared me with all the other animals.

I'll be surfing craigslist to find a breeder, lately I haven't seen many though.
    that leo looks like it has crypto (CRYPTOSPORIDIOSIS).
    I wouldnt buy ANYTHING from that store

click pic to see my reptiles

Thanks

Love that seagull animation Warocker's Wife...Those things are crazy smart sometimes...

Thanks

Make sure you aren't spraying anything like Febreeze, those air freshners, they can kill birds. Do you burn any oils, potporri? Again, something that may irritate them.
    LK

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slk View Post
    Make sure you aren't spraying anything like Febreeze, those air freshners, they can kill birds. Do you burn any oils, potporri? Again, something that may irritate them.
    LK
    fabreeze and such doesnt hurt rats, trust me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BAMReptiles For This Useful Post:

slk (06-08-2010)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123