Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,377

3 members and 3,374 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

"That looks like one pissed off dragon..."

Maybe the water was too warm? Or perhaps he just wasn't in the "bathing mood". Whatever the case, his throat went pitch black the second I set him in the water. I've been told this is the sign to 'back off and leave them alone'.

It only struck me as odd because, since having him - which has been less than a week - I've bathed him a couple times, and he seemed to enjoy it. His eyelids would droop, even close, and/or he'd take a huge minute-long drink (which raises another question: when they DO drink, do they usually take so LONG? Yeesh).

Also, he has a huge appetite, which I expected, but mostly for greens (he LOVES brussel sprouts. To death. Are these okay to feed on a daily basis?) and anything OTHER than crickets, which bothers me. I can't have him live on mealworms, but he'll gobble those up anytime. He will eat the crickets, but he'll snatch one here and there throughout the whole day. He never goes on a spree, as I thought he would. I haven't actually SEEN him drink since getting him about five days ago.

Last, but not least, when do you know they are at a healthy weight?

-5x2x2 enclosure
    -Sand substrate (bad, I know. I'm thinking of getting tiles or just laying down paper towel real soon.)
    -Infrared heat lamp, basking spot is 105F.
    -5 years old, 14 inches long, head to tail.

Thanks in advance, everyone!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, if this is indeed excessive, that he spends almost every waking moment acting territorial (head-bobbing, charging, puffing up) towards his own reflection in the tank. Any HINT of his own image, and he'll attack it. He tries to crawl up the glass. He's such a bossy boy.
    Last edited by Moofins07; 01-30-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

Thanks

Re: "That looks like one pissed off dragon..."

Well at 5 years old he should be eating more greens(80% or so) then protein(20% or so) anyways. it can be bad for them to have to many insects at that old. feed him as much as he will eat in 15 min three times a week and then veggies every day. and for good veggies to to http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html

What UVB are you using????

105 isn't hot enough if you are going to be using sand you need to bump it up to 110-115.

He also needs a BRIGHT light to help him see. you can use an ordinary housebulb for this.

I'm not sure that brussel sprouts are the best to feed them every day....

try getting some collard greens mustard greens, dandelion greens and squash. they usually loooove squash and it keeps them well hydrated.

If you're going to keep him on sand, or at least while you have him n sand with the temps up, you need to keep him really well hydrated.

14 inches is really small for a 5 year old dragon..
    Briannn.