Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,932

2 members and 2,930 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,560
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

Re: GREAT! Now a lady gets bitten by a cobra in a shopping center parking lot!

Oh what H-E double hockey sticks....put it in a macy's bag
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list

Thanks

I'll play the devil's advocate even though I, too, think something is fishy about this story.

If I wasn't into snakes and saw an interesting looking stick on the ground, I would probably pick it up or at least take a closer look. A cobra-looking stick would probably be a pretty awesome stick, as far as sticks go.

Also, I don't believe the story mentioned whether or not the snake was dead. She may have killed the snake during her cobra-induced adrenalin rush, then found whatever bag was laying around.

However, even with those two scenarios, I still find it highly unlikely that a cobra would be wandering around a parking lot in Baltimore during the winter...

-Lawrence

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I think the whole thing is BS, but the bagging doesn't surprise me... a cobra in baltimore would be easy to bag this time of year. It'd be frozen(and dead)

Thanks

I don't think the zoo would keep a dead cobra
    0.1 Normal (Cornflakes)

Ille qui nos omnes servabit. R.I.P. Paul Gray

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

it'd also be easy to calculate how long the snake would have to live if someone knew the temp in the area at the time. Assume it started from the best possible temp and use newton's law of cooling. It wouldn't be long before it'd be too cold to live.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Harrison believes ownership of venomous snakes should be strictly regulated, and owners should be required to keep their own antivenin.
    I agree to atleast the later of the 2

Thanks
    Thanked 1,914 Times in 1,149 Posts

Now, in that lady's defense I HAVE almost picked up a stick that was a snake.

I was about 9 or 10, and down in Irondale MO where it pretty backwoods country. One day about 4 in the afternoon during summer I was walking the gravel road and saw what I thought was a 2' long stick in the gravel. Being a kid, sticks are cool toys, so I bent down to pick it up. Imagine my surprise when the "stick" moved!! My hand was about 4" from said snake, and needless to say I backed up in a hurry. I watched it for a while, until it moved off into the high weeds.

When I told my mom about the incident, she said it was probably just a baby black snake, and since they eat rats I'd done a good thing by leaving it alone. So maybe this lady really DID think it was a stick. I noticed she's also got some oceanfront property in Arizona for sale, so she has to be trustworthy, right?

I don't believe for one second that even if she did think it was a stick, that she just happened to have a snake bag handy, and just happened to know how to pick up a snake that had just bitten her and bag it without another bite. Any normal person who gets bitten by a mysterious snake is NOT going to have the presence of mind to catch it, bag it, and take it with them to a clinic. They are going to call 911 in a panic claiming they were bitten by a 50' long snake that just ate the neighbor's dog. To quote my kids, " Watch it Pinocchio, your gonna put someone's eye out with that thing!"

I hope they prosecute her. I wonder if anyone has had the sense to search her house for evidence the snake is hers?

gale
    Last edited by angllady2; 01-28-2010 at 07:22 PM.
    1.0 Low-white Pied - Yakul | 1.0 Granite het Pied - Nago
    1.0 Mojave - Okoto | 1.0 Vanilla - Kodama
    1.0 Pastel - Koroku | 1.0 Fire - Osa
    0.1 het Pied - Toki | 0.1 het Pied - Mauro
    0.1 Mojave - Kina | 0.1 Blushback Cinnamon - Kuri
    0.1 Fire - Mori | 0.1 Reduced Pinstripe - Sumi
    0.1 Pastel - Yuki | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Akashi
    0.1 Ghana Giant Normal - Tatari | 0.1 Dinker Normal - Kaiya

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angllady2 View Post
    Now, in that lady's defense I HAVE almost picked up a stick that was a snake.

I was about 9 or 10, and down in Irondale MO where it pretty backwoods country. One day about 4 in the afternoon during summer I was walking the gravel road and saw what I thought was a 2' long stick in the gravel. Being a kid, sticks are cool toys, so I bent down to pick it up. Imagine my surprise when the "stick" moved!! My hand was about 4" from said snake, and needless to say I backed up in a hurry. I watched it for a while, until it moved off into the high weeds.

When I told my mom about the incident, she said it was probably just a baby black snake, and since they eat rats I'd done a good thing by leaving it alone. So maybe this lady really DID think it was a stick. I noticed she's also got some oceanfront property in Arizona for sale, so she has to be trustworthy, right?

I don't believe for one second that even if she did think it was a stick, that she just happened to have a snake bag handy, and just happened to know how to pick up a snake that had just bitten her and bag it without another bite. Any normal person who gets bitten by a mysterious snake is NOT going to have the presence of mind to catch it, bag it, and take it with them to a clinic. They are going to call 911 in a panic claiming they were bitten by a 50' long snake that just ate the neighbor's dog. To quote my kids, " Watch it Pinocchio, your gonna put someone's eye out with that thing!"

I hope they prosecute her. I wonder if anyone has had the sense to search her house for evidence the snake is hers?

gale
    You where only nine, this is an adult, what is the reason to pick up a stick in a parky lot if you are a grown up person?
    "Don't Underestimate me."
    My herps:
    1.0.0 Ball Python- rex
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon- Spike
    0.1.0 Crested Gecko- Cheweh
    0.0.2 Metallic Pink Toe Tarantula-Bubbles, Skittle(My little brother named them)

Thanks

Here's something to think about. Who said she was ever in that parking lot when she got bit besides her? She drove herself to the clinic, which means she really could have driven from anywhere. And we already know that it was "most likely" her snake. And I don't know any hot keeper that would take their cobra to a parking lot to handle it. My guess is she got tagged at home and didn't want to catch legal (and financial) backlash for it so she made up the parking lot story. She would have the hook there to bag it without more bites also. Food for thought...
    ~Nick
    1.0 Pastel Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Corn Snake
    1.2 Crested Geckos
    2.0 Chinchillas
    0.2 Degus

Thanks

fishy,its illegal to keep venomous in Md.
    WHITEMARSH BALL PYTHONS
    CAPTIVE BRED BY GREGORY J HALL

CHECKOUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL BELOW ALL BP's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/GREGORYJHALL
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/White...88827331178640
    410-206-9781

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast