Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,142

1 members and 1,141 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Spider Genetics Question

The spider is considered to be dominant since it does not have a known super form, but it does not always give spiders so therefore when you do a square it should be written as Ss and not SS, right. If so, breeding two spiders together should give you 25% normals 50% spiders and 25% super form, but since there is no super form, what does this become? Another spider? Does breeding two spiders give you a 75% spider and 25% normal. What happens to this fourth of the square? I have heard the idea that the super form of the spider is lethal and that 25% that would be the super simply die before they can form (infertile eggs, eggs that go bad during incubation) What are your thoughts?
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

Re: Spider Genetics Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    What are your thoughts?
    Excellent question! I have thought about this and asked various people. My thoughts are that even if you had a super form how would you ever tell? Spider to normal gives each baby a 50% chance of being spider. I have seen clutches of codom and or dom to normal yield 100% visuals. So yes a super would produce 100% visuals but this can also be done with an incomplete or dom gene.

No help...I know

Thanks

I've been trying to figure this out from the time I bought my spider male almost 2 years ago. I really am wondering how these genes work. If you use a square, then 25% SHOULD be supers, but no one has ever produced one. Has anyone ever had a spider that ONLY produced spiders? I doubt it which is why I am so curious to find out how this gene works. Same with the pinstripe.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

The spider is considered to be dominant since it does not have a known super form, but it does not always give spiders so therefore when you do a square it should be written as Ss and not SS, right. If so, breeding two spiders together should give you 25% normals 50% spiders and 25% super form, but since there is no super form, what does this become? Another spider? Does breeding two spiders give you a 75% spider and 25% normal. What happens to this fourth of the square? I have heard the idea that the super form of the spider is lethal and that 25% that would be the super simply die before they can form (infertile eggs, eggs that go bad during incubation) What are your thoughts?
    the fact that spiders do not always produce spiders, doesn't mean the spider is not dominant. spider x normal each egg has a 50% chance of being spider, 50% chance of being normal. that is not to say 50% of each clutch will be spider. so in a punnett square spider would be "SS".

Thanks

Your gonna open a whole new can of worms There was a big thread on here a while ago about this. Search it, it's out there somewhere. It has been said that the super form is lethal I guess.

Thanks

A spider IS considered dominant. I didn't say it wasn't. If it was written as SS, then 100% of the babies would be spider. The S represents the dominant spider gene. The spider will only pass on one allele, so if you hatch out ANY normals from a spider X something pairing, it has to be Ss because the spider obviously did not give the spider gene.

I will search for it. Sorry I'm pretty much the resident "doesnotusethesearchfunctionlikeanidiot" person.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

I hope I didn't sound mean. I wasn't trying to be.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by twistedtails View Post
    Your gonna open a whole new can of worms There was a big thread on here a while ago about this. Search it, it's out there somewhere. It has been said that the super form is lethal I guess.
    yeah i've heard that too. but for the sake of a simple punnett square i use "SS". and until i see a super, dead or alive, i will call it dom

Thanks

But using Ss doesn't make it any less simple. I guess it doesn't REALLY matter, but it just doesn't make sense to me to represent both alleles as dominant since the spider does not always give the spider gene. SS would indicate that it does, while Ss allows the animal to give the spider gene or not. Maybe I'm just really picky on how I do my punnet squares.
    Under Construction.....

Thanks

But using Ss doesn't make it any less simple. I guess it doesn't REALLY matter, but it just doesn't make sense to me to represent both alleles as dominant since the spider does not always give the spider gene. SS would indicate that it does, while Ss allows the animal to give the spider gene or not. Maybe I'm just really picky on how I do my punnet squares.
    all i am saying is unitill i see a super spider i use "SS". if there is a super form then it would be "Ss". but when i get tired of screwing around with punnett squares i just see what the "experts" say the combo will make, cuz high school was a long, long, long time ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast