Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

0 members and 3,210 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Thanks
    So I know this is a VERRRRY old thread... But I just wanted to bend y'alls ears for a bit on this topic.

I see many people talk about how in the wild, snakes would be exposed to dirt, debris, leaves, etc (loose substrate) so it's not a problem to feed them on these substrates. And this is a fine point. My question is, since in the wild our snakes are also exposed to predators, changing climates, and many other things they don't necessarily need in captivity, why also expose them to something that may potentially irritate them? Does that make sense? I feed my snakes in separate Sterilite containers because there's no chance of getting any substrate in the way of their meal, and they are very easy to clean. I choose to use either Aspen or Dri-Dek with newspaper underneath because I worry about the tiny particulates of coco husk or dirt getting stuck in the labial pits, possibly leading to poor shed or infection. Not to mention getting in the snake's mouth.

Also, thanks to everyone for your input over the years of this thread, and thanks for humoring me on this post!
    0.1 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Southern Black Racer (permanently disabled)
    2.2 Cats
    0.1 Dog

RESCUES I'VE FOUND HOMES FOR:
    1.1 BCIs
    2.1 Ball Pythons
    1.0 Black Pastel Albino Ball Python

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Don't use Eco Earth Loose coconut fiber substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Mathghamhna View Post
    So I know this is a VERRRRY old thread... But I just wanted to bend y'alls ears for a bit on this topic.

I see many people talk about how in the wild, snakes would be exposed to dirt, debris, leaves, etc (loose substrate) so it's not a problem to feed them on these substrates. And this is a fine point. My question is, since in the wild our snakes are also exposed to predators, changing climates, and many other things they don't necessarily need in captivity, why also expose them to something that may potentially irritate them? Does that make sense? I feed my snakes in separate Sterilite containers because there's no chance of getting any substrate in the way of their meal, and they are very easy to clean. I choose to use either Aspen or Dri-Dek with newspaper underneath because I worry about the tiny particulates of coco husk or dirt getting stuck in the labial pits, possibly leading to poor shed or infection. Not to mention getting in the snake's mouth.

Also, thanks to everyone for your input over the years of this thread, and thanks for humoring me on this post!
    I don't think it's a problem if they eat a bit of substrate accidentally. They can digest bones and fur so I'm sure a tiny piece of bark or some coco fiber is no problem. However, I definitely agree that the fine particles of coco fiber would irritates snakes skin. I've always worried that it would get stuck in between their scales!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Don't use Eco Earth Loose coconut fiber substrate.

I agree with the second half of what your saying, but on your first point, you cannot always trust the label of these products. Calci-Sand is marketed as safe and digestible, but there are plenty of horror stories proving that to not be the case if you decide to search. That being said, I really don't think that a mouthful of coconut one in a while is doing to do much harm, though it would probably be best to try and avoid it

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567