Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,878

3 members and 2,875 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Breeding question

OK here is the story I have a 1.4 group set up in a 40 gal breeder tank. They were born early to mid September 09, I have gotten 2 litters from two different girls in this group. The first litter was born 12/22/09 all were dead buy the 12/26/09. I caulked that up to first litter type thing. Next litter was born 12/30/09 all of the pups are alive and well, however I don't see any signs of anyone beging prego now. I will be weaning the pups next week on Wednesday. I also have a 1.2 group set up in a 10 gal tank could I put one of the other females (not prego from what I see) with this group as to help the male in the 1.4 group or will he get the job done.
    1.2 Rottweilers
    0.1 Amercian Bully
    0.1 African Gray Congo
    0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
    1.1 Beardies
    9.14 Ball Pythons
    3.3.2 Crested Geckos
    1.1.2 Gargoyle Geckos

http://www.iherp.com/Public/ShowUser...2-72fa119c6e12

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Breeding question

From my experience, don't introduce rats together while babies are present this usually will end in violence. I would leave one of the weaned males with them and let him grow up to get the job done. Males mature fairly quickly.

Thanks

1.4 in a 40 breeder? That is a LOT of space for one colony (too much space if you ask me).

I keep my ASFs in 1.3 groups. When I first group them I keep them in a 10g. When they reach breeding age I move them to either a 20L or a 73qt Sterilite tub (perfect size tubs for these guys!).

You can add a female to the 1.2 group IF there are no babies present. They will fight and one of the females will establish dominance. Just keep an eye on them and if the fighting gets TOO bad you can separate them.
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine in 'The Age of Reason'
    -----------------------
    Ball Pythons
    Red Tailed Boas
    Corn Snakes
    Dumeril's Boas
    Blood Pythons
    ---
    0.1 Wife, A.K.A. "The Taminator"
    2.2 Kids (The Anchors Around My Neck)

They call me Emilius LOL Emilio's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 1,004 Posts

I like 1.2 groups better from what I've noticed the extra females just help with the babies and don't become prego sometimes.
    Absolutely obsessed with ball pythons!

http://www.facebook.com/VillarinoReptiles?ref=hl

Villarino reptiles Morph market

Contacts

Villarinoreptiles@gmail.com
    Or tex 7868774281

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio View Post
    I like 1.2 groups better from what I've noticed the extra females just help with the babies and don't become prego sometimes.
    I have one group with a (presumably) sterile female who, while she doesn't produce any babies, is the best wet nurse I've ever seen. She does a better job of raising the babies than the mothers do. That group is the only group I have that isn't 1.3 (I added a female so I have 3 breeding females in the group).
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine in 'The Age of Reason'
    -----------------------
    Ball Pythons
    Red Tailed Boas
    Corn Snakes
    Dumeril's Boas
    Blood Pythons
    ---

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pixtaker View Post
    1.4 in a 40 breeder? That is a LOT of space for one colony (too much space if you ask me).

I keep my ASFs in 1.3 groups. When I first group them I keep them in a 10g. When they reach breeding age I move them to either a 20L or a 73qt Sterilite tub (perfect size tubs for these guys!).

You can add a female to the 1.2 group IF there are no babies present. They will fight and one of the females will establish dominance. Just keep an eye on them and if the fighting gets TOO bad you can separate them.
    I will be puting in a devider in the 40 gal tank. some time this week. So correct my if I am worng the one female extra I have in the 1.4 group can be moved to the 1.2 group if their is no babies in the 1.2 group?or sould neither group have babies when I move her.
    1.2 Rottweilers
    0.1 Amercian Bully
    0.1 African Gray Congo
    0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
    1.1 Beardies
    9.14 Ball Pythons
    3.3.2 Crested Geckos
    1.1.2 Gargoyle Geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    I will be puting in a devider in the 40 gal tank. some time this week. So correct my if I am worng the one female extra I have in the 1.4 group can be moved to the 1.2 group if their is no babies in the 1.2 group?or sould neither group have babies when I move her.

Correct. It's better if there have been no babies in the group you're moving her to for a few weeks but as long as there aren't any babies when you introduce her it should be OK.

Again, there WILL be fighting. There is a dominant female in every group and, when you add a new female, there will be some jockeying for position. Keep an eye on them to make sure it doesn't get too serious but you'll have to let them go at it for a bit.
    -----------------------
    Ball Pythons
    Red Tailed Boas
    Corn Snakes
    Dumeril's Boas
    Blood Pythons
    ---

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

1.2 groups are always the best.

a 40 breeder is WAY too big. IMHO, anything bigger then a 10 gallon is too big.... again this is for a 1.2 group. I can't afford the inefficiency of the bigger groups.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

So last night I devied my 40 gal breeder in to 2 and put the 4th female with the 1.2 group so now I have 2 groups of 1.3. They did fight a little just chasing as far as I could tell. They seem to have settled down for now. I have been wanting to do this for a long time as I know I will need to get some new blood flowing as the 1.4 group were 2 diffrent litters but sam father. I know Mike said 1.2 is the best and he has great litters however can anyone give me insite to how the 1.3 produce? Mike I totally look at your ASF post as I find them very helpfull. Do you have any comments with the 1.3groups and how they produe? I really need to increse production I will be getting a new spider girl this after noon so my needs are for 9 snakes now. Just a after thought I am also short on space.
    1.2 Rottweilers
    0.1 Amercian Bully
    0.1 African Gray Congo
    0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
    1.1 Beardies
    9.14 Ball Pythons
    3.3.2 Crested Geckos
    1.1.2 Gargoyle Geckos

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

1.3 groups work, just not as well as the 1.3.

With the 1.2 groups you will have:

1.) A more consistent baby dropping schedule every three weeks
    2.) Faster growing, healthier kids.
    3.) Less food waste per produced kid.
    4.) Highest number of kids per breeder female per month.

The way you changed the groups is fine but you still want to hold back the first babies they produce and completely replace each group as soon as possible. They will never get along as good or produce as good as a group that hasn't been tampered with since they started producing.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast