Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,336

1 members and 3,335 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

2010 Legislation So Far

I've been gathering Info on legislative proposals for both the federal and state levels that we are facing and affect reptiles so far. I hope this is helpful, and if I missed anything, feel free to add them to this thread.

Federal- HR2811/S373- Would ban importation, intertate sales, and transport of 9 constrictors.
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:s.00373:

New York- A07935 Prohibits the ownership, possession or harboring of a wild animal or reptile;
    makes violation a class E felony.
    http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=7935

Georgia-SB 303 A BILL to be entitled an Act to amend Code Section 27-5-5 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated, relating to wild animals for which license or permit is required, so as to include certain reptiles; to provide for a period to obtain a license; to repeal conflicting laws; and for other purposes.
    http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2009_10/sum/sb303.htm

Rhode Island- S2027- Bans alligators, crocodiles, pythons, and boa constrictors. Ownership shall be punishable by a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1000)
    http://www.rilin.state.ri.us//BillTe...xt10/S2027.pdf

Indiana-SB 280 Exotic animals. Makes it a Class C misdemeanor to release an exotic or wild animal into the wild without legal authorization or a permit issued by the department of natural resources (department), and provides that the fine for unlawfully releasing an exotic or wild animal is at least $500 and not more than $2,500. Requires a person in the business of selling exotic reptiles to obtain a permit from the department, and makes it a Class C misdemeanor to sell an exotic reptile without a permit. Requires a person not in the business of selling exotic reptiles to notify the department before selling an exotic reptile, and makes the failure to notify the department a Class C infraction.
    http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/b...280&doctype=SB

South Carolina-H 4218- REGULATION OF VENOMOUS REPTILES, CONSTRICTING SNAKES, AND CROCODILIANS
    http://www.scstatehouse.gov/sess118_...bills/4218.htm

Florida-S 318- Prohibits any person from possessing, importing, selling, trading, or breeding certain specified reptile species, including a reptile designated as a reptile of concern by the FWC. Provides certain exceptions applicable to reptiles for which the owner holds a permit issued before a specified date.
    http://www.flsenate.gov/session/inde...o&BillNum=0318

Arizona-HB 2375- Adds the following reptiles to the prohibited wildlife list:
    12. All species of the order crocodylia. Common names include: gavial, caiman, crocodile and alligator.
    13. The following species of the order testudines. Common names include: turtle and tortoise:
    (a) All species of the family chelydridae. Common name: snapping turtles.
    (b) All species of the genus gopherus. Common name: gopher tortoise, including the desert tortoise.
    14. All species of the following families or genera of the order Squamata:
    (a) The family helodermatidae. Common names include: Gila monster and Mexican beaded lizard.
    (b) The family elapidae. Common names include: Cobra, mamba, coral snake, krait and Australian elapid.
    (c) The family hydrophiidae. Common name: Sea snake.
    (d) The family viperidae. Common names include: True viper and pit viper including rattlesnake.
    (e) The family atractaspidae. Common name: Burrowing asp.
    (f) The following species and genera of the family colubridae:
    (i) Dispholidus typus. Common name: Boomslang.
    (ii) Thelotornis kirtlandii. Common names include: Bird snake and twig snake.
    (iii) Rhabdophis. Common name: Keelback.
    (iv) Boiga irregularis. Common name: Brown tree snake.
    15. The following species within the order anura, common names frog and toad:
    (a) All species of the genus xenopus. Common name: Clawed frog.
    (b) The species bufo horribilis, bufo marinus, bufo paracnemis. Common names include: Giant or marine toad.
    (c) All species of the genus rana. Common names include: Leopard frog and bullfrog, except bullfrogs possessed under section 17-102 are not included.
    http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBil..._Number=HB2375
    Specialty Serpents
    www.specialtyserpents.com

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ER12 For This Useful Post:

kc261 (01-22-2010)

Thanks

Re: 2010 Legislation So Far

i wonder what will become of HR669 and if it will be revised...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

There is now a House version of the Florida bill, HB 709

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sectio...&SessionId=64&
    Specialty Serpents

Thanks

It feels like were being bombarded....

I wonder what Adam knows about much of this and can give us some info.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Lately it feels like a losing battle.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thank you ER12 for compiling all this! It is scary how many newly proposed laws there are, not even a full month into the year. I would guess, though, that most new laws are proposed early in the year, so this may be most of what we'll see for the entire year.

It does at times feel like a losing battle, but that is EXACTLY what HSUS and others in their camp are hoping. That we'll get tired of the fight and then they can have their way.
    Casey

Thanks

Just because it's a law that restricts ownership/breeding/selling of reptiles/amphibians doesn't mean it's automatically bad....

Quote Originally Posted by ER12 View Post
    Federal- HR2811/S373- Would ban importation, intertate sales, and transport of 9 constrictors.
    http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:s.00373:
    HR2811 only bans the importation of Burmese pythons.

Arizona-HB 2375- Adds the following reptiles to the prohibited wildlife list:
    12. All species of the order crocodylia. Common names include: gavial, caiman, crocodile and alligator.
    13. The following species of the order testudines. Common names include: turtle and tortoise:
    (a) All species of the family chelydridae. Common name: snapping turtles.
    (b) All species of the genus gopherus. Common name: gopher tortoise, including the desert tortoise.
    14. All species of the following families or genera of the order Squamata:
    (a) The family helodermatidae. Common names include: Gila monster and Mexican beaded lizard.
    (b) The family elapidae. Common names include: Cobra, mamba, coral snake, krait and Australian elapid.
    (c) The family hydrophiidae. Common name: Sea snake.
    (d) The family viperidae. Common names include: True viper and pit viper including rattlesnake.
    (e) The family atractaspidae. Common name: Burrowing asp.
    (f) The following species and genera of the family colubridae:
    (i) Dispholidus typus. Common name: Boomslang.
    (ii) Thelotornis kirtlandii. Common names include: Bird snake and twig snake.
    (iii) Rhabdophis. Common name: Keelback.
    (iv) Boiga irregularis. Common name: Brown tree snake.
    15. The following species within the order anura, common names frog and toad:
    (a) All species of the genus xenopus. Common name: Clawed frog.
    (b) The species bufo horribilis, bufo marinus, bufo paracnemis. Common names include: Giant or marine toad.
    (c) All species of the genus rana. Common names include: Leopard frog and bullfrog, except bullfrogs possessed under section 17-102 are not included.
    http://www.azleg.gov/DocumentsForBil..._Number=HB2375
    I see nothing wrong with these.

For example, a lot of captive desert tortoises have a specific type of respiratory infection (I think) that we don't want passed to the wild population. It is legal to own one desert tortoise, however.

Brown tree snake: See Guam.

Bullfrogs: Are causing severe damage to Southwest US ecosystems and should be banned. I wouldn't be surprised if the other frogs/toads on this list are doing the same damage...and these are from people releasing them purposely.

Gila Monster & Beaded Lizard: Are rare enough as it is...and are frequently poached for the black market.

Native AZ snakes (including rattlesnakes) and lizards are permitted, but they cannot be sold across state lines. Again, I see no problem with this one either. It's bad enough that so many are killed just because people don't like them; we don't need people catching them and selling them out-of-state. What we really need is a rattlesnake law similar to the one for Gila monsters: It is illegal to harass, chase, capture, injure, etc. Gila monsters without a permit.
    Last edited by Eventide; 01-22-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    Periodic Table Pythons - Quality, captive-bred pythons? It's elementary!

1.0 VPI Axanthic, 1.0 Genetic Stripe, 1.0 Red Axanthic, 1.0 Lesser Platinum, 1.0 50% Het Albino, 0.1 Albino, 0.1 Het VPI Axanthic, 0.1 Het Red Axanthic, 0.1 Het G-Stripe, 0.1 Woma, 0.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eventide View Post
    Native AZ snakes (including rattlesnakes) and lizards are permitted, but they cannot be sold across state lines. Again, I see no problem with this one either. It's bad enough that so many are killed just because people don't like them; we don't need people catching them and selling them out-of-state. What we really need is a rattlesnake law similar to the one for Gila monsters: It is illegal to harass, chase, capture, injure, etc. Gila monsters without a permit.
    The problem here is what what would constitute as "harrassment", "chase", and "capture"? That could technically make even simple herping illegal without a permit since that is technically "chasing" and/or "capturing" the animal.
    Whenever I examine any herp or animal related legislation, I do not necessarily take it at face value. I tend to think of any and all of the unintended consequences (or perhaps intended) a given law might have.
    Last edited by ER12; 01-22-2010 at 04:53 PM.
    Specialty Serpents

Thanks

Unhappy Re: 2010 Legislation So Far

[QUOTE=Eventide;1250366]Just because it's a law that restricts ownership/breeding/selling of reptiles/amphibians doesn't mean it's automatically bad..../QUOTE]

I'd have to disagree with part of your point here, some of the bans/restrictions may be in order, but then there are other species added to those lists that i don't feel should be there, Here is the new bill that they are going to try to pass in my state.

Rhode Island- S2027- Bans alligators, crocodiles, pythons, and boa constrictors. Ownership shall be punishable by a fine of not less than one thousand dollars ($1000)
    http://www.rilin.state.ri.us//BillTe...xt10/S2027.pdf

now i can't say i'm against regulating the Gators and Crocs, but then they add the pythons and boas, and it says nothing about what species of python or boa, so i would assume they mean any of them... including a Ball python, i have a serious problem with that. Again it's just a way for them (Government/congress/special interest groups) to take away rights and over regulate. I just don't get it really, what ever happend to live and let live.
    I just hope everyone that visits and enjoys these forums will do there part too keep them going and write their respective State Reps, because if these laws are passed, we are all going to have to find somthing else to do, because there will be no need for these forums, it makes me sad because i just found this place and i've fallen head over feet for it.

sorry still not sure how the quote thing works exactly.
    Last edited by Dragon76; 01-22-2010 at 05:01 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eventide View Post
    Just because it's a law that restricts ownership/breeding/selling of reptiles/amphibians doesn't mean it's automatically bad....
    Hopefully you know and realize that the HSUS animal rights (AR) groups and the crooked politicians that are inspired by them that are pushing for many of these laws and legislation from behind the scenes are masters of deceiving both the public and legislators and will resort to using "back door" approaches in order to get their agenda passed in the end. I have seen and heard of them doing this many times, not only with reptile legislation. If they cannot ban something outright, they will try to make that given activity more expensive and costly to continue to engage in. This is what they have been doing with their meat ballot initiatives in some states such as Florida and Arizona, ultimately driving up the cost of meat. Legislation may seem "good" at face value, but oftentimes, the devil is in the details...
    Last edited by ER12; 01-22-2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Specialty Serpents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast