Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,083

0 members and 3,083 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tiny Hatchling

Thanks

Tiny Hatchling

6 weeks ago I picked up a baby albino. The breeder claimed she had been feeding on rats and shed, and she was in shed again when I got her. She looked pretty tiny but I took his word for it. After a bad shed I started trying to feed her. I literally tried everything on the menu in the past month, but she just didn't seem to want to eat. I weighed her a few days ago and was not happy to see she was only 50 grams. I looked up some methods on assist feedings and went ahead with that. It went really smooth and she seems to be more active already and looks better.

What size are babies usually when they hatch? Is it even possible for her to be that small if she had been feeding? I sort of feel like i was mislead and was sold a problematic hatchling. I got a good deal on her so it was sort of expected, i guess.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nicktreb For This Useful Post:

misterman (01-21-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts

Re: Tiny Hatchling

50+ grams is o.k. for right out of the egg, but if she has supposedly been feeding I'd think she'd be a little heavier. What was her hatch date? What was her hatch weight? Have you talked to the breeder you got her from? A pic would be helpful in determining if she looks skinny or not...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks

ask the breeder for her hatch date and hatch weight. its possible she was a twin or came from a boob egg and hatched at 35 grams or something.

Also.. if you've tried "everything" to get her to eat in the past month you're trying too much too fast. Slow down.

A live mouse hopper will usually get them going. Feed at night, in a dark quiet room and don't pester her. Check on her every 45 mins or an hour to make sure she is ok. and PRE SCENT. that way she starts getting into the feeding routine.

For more help, what are you housing her in, what are your hot/cool/ambient temps, what is humidity, what are you using to measure all this with, what are her hides, etc.
    Last edited by cinderbird; 01-20-2010 at 09:07 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cinderbird For This Useful Post:

Wh00h0069 (01-20-2010)

Thanks

I haven't been able to contact the seller. I believe she was hatched in November. While trying different methods I had tried leaving her for a week then proceeding with pre scenting and introducing a live mouse hopper at night in the dark and leaving her. I found them cuddled up together approximately 45 mins later.

Anyway here are some pictures of her 48 hours after I assisted her with feeding, she looks alot better then she did before that.

Thanks

My new boy did the same thing, the first rat I tried to feed him, him and the mouse also cuddled up. He looks kind of similar to yours now maybe a lil thicker and longer, anyways, It took him 4 weeks to eat anything. His first meal was last Friday. Thats when he finally ate. Yours looks fine to me, they are very instinctual animals. When they are hungry they will def. eat. Keep trying and I hope she starts feeding better for ya!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cweimer4 For This Useful Post:

nicktreb (01-21-2010)

Thanks

She could have been a very small hatchling. I had a hatchling last season who was not a twin but hatched out at around 35g. Of course, he didn't make it due to deformities but if she has been feeding on rat pinks or fuzzies then I could see her only being 50g if she hatched out small. You could try leaving her alone longer with the feeder. I have a bp that normally will not take f/t. Every time I feed f/t I have to simply put the feeder in the tub and I check the next day. It is gone by then. A fuzzy or hopper mouse will not harm your snake. You could try leaving it in for a few hours or even overnight.
    Under Construction.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jay_Bunny For This Useful Post:

nicktreb (01-21-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

What are her temps and humidity. It looks as if shes not drinking as her skin is loos and sagging. As long as shes eating she should rehydrate slowly. Whether its assist feeding to build up her confidence/strength she will get better over time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

nicktreb (01-21-2010)

Thanks

Thanks everyone, I was worried for a while but I think she's going to be okay. I actually don't mind the experience for when I hatch some of my own.

Thanks

She looks dehydrated to me.
    2.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Elise.m View Post
    She looks dehydrated to me.
    I do believe you're right. I hope the feeding will rehydrate her some, and I actually seen her take a drink recently. I think its getting better.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast