Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,250

0 members and 3,250 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Oklahoma exotic ban SB 1798

I need your help in opposing a bill that OK senate is trying to put into place.

I am asking for you help on behalf of the private owners of exotic felines and non-human primates in Oklahoma, and myself. Oklahoma senate has a proposed bill on schedule, SB 1798. This bill is written to ban all private ownership of exotic felines and ALL of their hybrids (savannah's, depending on interpretation may include bengals, safari's, and others) and all species of non-human primates, including all species of lemur. Although this bill was constructed with good intent, banning private ownership of such a diverse group, many of which are endangered species, would be detrimental to their genetic diversity. With AZA zoo's, such at the Oklahoma City Zoo, having limited funds and space to house endangered species, if banning private ownership passes, there will be very little genetic diversity available to the breeding stock, which will create a bottle-neck effect on the genetics of individual species. If private ownership is no longer allowed, it will only be a short amount of time before those species that are endangered now become extinct. The way that the bill is currently constructed, only USDA facilities, many which are also sanctuaries that have their 501 (c) 3 documentation as a not-for-profit facility, will be legally able to have possession of any of the listed species. The 501 (c) 3 sanctuaries will not be allowed to breed, have public contact, or exhibit the animals for either entertainment purposes or commercial activity. The problem with this is the issue of over crowding in sanctuaries. Many facilities are hard pressed for the funds to update enclosures, and rely on donations to feed the animals that they possess now. With the economy the way it is today, many of these sanctuaries are failing due to lack of donations. Many animals would suffer if this bill passes, forcing animals that were once kept in the hands of responsible owners to overcrowded environments. If the sanctuaries can not accept the animal, the bill proposes that the animal is to be euthanized.
    I am asking you to please contact your senator by visiting this website to locate your senator http://www.capitolconnect.com/oklahoma/default.aspx and vote NO on SB 1798 concerning banning private ownership of exotic cats and non-human primates. Feb. 1 is when the hearing takes place. Please send as many e-mails as possible until that date. I have attached a copy of the bill taken directly from the Oklahoma Senate's webpage for you to review for yourself.
    The first hearing of all proposed bills to date is feb 1st, so please get in as many e-mails as you can. If they start banning the "cute and cuddily" guys, they wont bat an eyelash on our other scaley kids.
    -Kasi- 'Marsupial Mom' in training!
    0.1 Normal BP ~Isis~
    1.0 Graziani Pastel ~Apollo~
    0.1 Spider ~Savannah~
    1.0 Albino ~Ra~
    1.1 Lesser Platinum's ~Osiris~ ~Cleopatra~
    2.4 PastelXNormal babies
    0.1 RTB het Anery ~Camila~
    1.1 Bennet's wallabies ~ Boomer~~Bella~
    2.1 Red Kangaroo's ~Rocky, Jack, and Ruby~
    1.0 Serval ~Keyba~

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Purrrfect9 For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (01-19-2010),nixer (01-19-2010)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts

Re: Oklahoma exotic ban SB 1798

Thanks for letting us know. Im not in Olahoma but I know that we as reptile owners cant make judgments on which animals people should be able to keep when our own pets are in danger too. I'll take action as Im sure you have for the snakes

Not to mention my absolute favorite cat in the world is the african serval!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Foschi Exotic Serpents View Post
    Thanks for letting us know. Im not in Olahoma but I know that we as reptile owners cant make judgments on which animals people should be able to keep when our own pets are in danger too. I'll take action as Im sure you have for the snakes

Not to mention my absolute favorite cat in the world is the african serval!!!!!
    i wish i could have a serval but our other cat would not go along with it.

Registered User Wretched Deviant's Avatar
    Thanks

Lol, I love the exotic kitties. I'll definitely be against this.

Thanks

Does someone have a pre-written letter I can use? I don't have the time at the moment due to college.

1.0 Western Slender Glass Lizard; Logos
    0.1 Charcoal Cornsnake; Morana
    1.0 Golden Gecko; Smoothie
    1.1 African Plated Lizard; Cypher and Nara