Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,273

0 members and 1,273 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,545
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks

Thread: ? about eggs

Thanks

? about eggs

my female laid sometime this morning while I was out, or atleast I'm pretty sure it was this am. I know I checked her about 10pm last night and she hadn't laid yet. This am I did a quick check on my way out the door and I'm pretty sure she hadn't laid yet. Anyways, when I came hom just now(about 3 hrs after I left) I noticed that the warm hide house was completely full of sand(I know I'm going to catch hell for that, but I've never had a problem with it), so I go "excavating" and find 2 eggs burried. They are warm since they are over the warm side of the tank. They were also not dimpled, or soft, more hardish, but not like rocks. They had a few small soft spots. I immediately moved them over to a vermiculite box and replaced the container on the warm side of the tank. What are the chances that the eggs are still good since they were kinda hard? I provide her with a lay box with damp vermiculite and moss, but she refuses to lay in there for whatever reason.
    1.0 Husband(not fond of my reptile experiments)Neil
    2.2 leo's no names yet
    0.1 min pin dog Zoey
    1.0 tuxedo cat Tucker
    0.1 black cat Sascha

Thanks

Re: ? about eggs

All of our leo eggs were laid in dirt and we had about 90% hatch rate and many of them spent several hours in the lay box. From the sounds of it your eggs are fine. Just keep an eye out for discoloration, sweating or excessive dimpling and you'll be fine.
    Zack

Asking dumb questions is easier than fixing dumb mistakes.

Thanks

thanks for your response. they dimpled a little when I put them into the vermiculite box, but i think that's because they were "dried out" a little, am I right? I should watch to make sure they pop back out? how long should that take?
    2.2 leo's no names yet
    0.1 min pin dog Zoey
    1.0 tuxedo cat Tucker
    0.1 black cat Sascha

Thanks

i know this is a tad old but a few hours isn't going to make or break your clutch. as long as you have them in a container with enough humidity you'll be just fine. The things you may want to look for are molding and yellowing. Leo eggs are super easy to take care of.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by retributionreptiles View Post
    i know this is a tad old but a few hours isn't going to make or break your clutch. as long as you have them in a container with enough humidity you'll be just fine. The things you may want to look for are molding and yellowing. Leo eggs are super easy to take care of.
    Thanks for your response. One of the eggs has made it so far, and one didn't. It got super moldy and shriveled. I didn't think, from the beginning, that it would make it though because when you candle it, it was yellow looking and I know that can mean an infertile egg. I thought I'd hold on to it for awhile though just to make sure. The other one however looks fantastic!!! It was laid 4 weeks ago tomorrow. I figure it still has about 2 weeks before hatching because I'm keeping it around 80 so it will be a female.
    Last edited by Snoopybdb; 02-15-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    2.2 leo's no names yet
    0.1 min pin dog Zoey
    1.0 tuxedo cat Tucker
    0.1 black cat Sascha

Thanks

She laid again sometime during the night. I know she was getting ready to because she was digging again the las couple of days and I could see them thru her belly(really easy since she's albino!). Mommy is a bell albino and daddy is a mack snow. I can't wait to see what's inside these!

2.2 leo's no names yet
    0.1 min pin dog Zoey
    1.0 tuxedo cat Tucker
    0.1 black cat Sascha