Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,301

3 members and 3,298 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

Re: PICS!!! Baby Gator!!!

Does missouri even need permits for crocodilians??

I'm pretty darn sure I don't need a permit in MN.

I wish I had the space for an indoor gator pond.

Thanks

No permits are required.

The law states "According to Missouri's Exotic Animal Law, dangerous animals are listed as tigers, lions, leopards, jaguars, margays, cheetahs, mountain lions, bobcats, Canadian lynx, jaguarondi, wolves, hyenas or coyotes. Also mentioned on this list are dangerous, deadly and/or poisonous reptiles that are over 8 feet in length. In order for an individual to possess, buy, sell or transfer any of these animals, the said animal must be properly registered with the Missouri County Law Enforcement Office where the animal resides. The only exceptions to this registration are animal refuges or sanctuaries, veterinary hospitals, research laboratories, zoos, circuses, educational institutions or scientific research institutes"

So untill she reaches 8ft I am good, UNLESS it is amended before then. But the same laws applies to my burms as well when they reach that age. But NOBODY I have talked to that owns exotics have ever followed this. But it gives me plenty of time to look into it.
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    0.0.1 Alligator mississippiensis
    1.1 Dobermans

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rebel750 View Post
    No permits are required.

The law states "According to Missouri's Exotic Animal Law, dangerous animals are listed as tigers, lions, leopards, jaguars, margays, cheetahs, mountain lions, bobcats, Canadian lynx, jaguarondi, wolves, hyenas or coyotes. Also mentioned on this list are dangerous, deadly and/or poisonous reptiles that are over 8 feet in length. In order for an individual to possess, buy, sell or transfer any of these animals, the said animal must be properly registered with the Missouri County Law Enforcement Office where the animal resides. The only exceptions to this registration are animal refuges or sanctuaries, veterinary hospitals, research laboratories, zoos, circuses, educational institutions or scientific research institutes"

So untill she reaches 8ft I am good, UNLESS it is amended before then. But the same laws applies to my burms as well when they reach that age. But NOBODY I have talked to that owns exotics have ever followed this. But it gives me plenty of time to look into it.
    Hence the ban that is in play.

Cute little girl you have though

Also, since it says Poisoness reptiles, do venumous ones count?
    - Matt

Come here little guy. You're awfully cute and fluffy but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat

Thanks

Im not by any means trying to find loopholes and evade things. Most of them probably arent even aware of the law. There are irresponsible people in all hobbies and yes unfortunately it adversly effects the ones who do choose to play by the rules.

And yes exact wording does mean ALOT if the issue arises. Who determines if a 10ft gator in your living room floor is dangerous or not. Hell Im married and she is more dangerous than a full grown gator and I dont have to tell the law I own her lol!
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    1.1 Dobermans

Thanks

No permits are required.

are you sure it doesnt mean animals that "can" reach 8 ft not ones that can but just are not up to that size yet?
    "So far this is the oldest that I've been"
    'If you can make it through the nite, there's a brighter day'
    "I'm out the game, put the 2nd string in."
    "live with the pain and keep trying or die knowing you never gave anything a chance"
    "Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive"
    "No one can take away your dreams"

People for the Ethical Treatment of Agriculture

Thanks

I did ask the County Sherrif this a few months ago, his exact words,

"when and if it changes, the law is black and white"

He would not elaborate, so until 8ft you're good to go. Registration itself is free but as in other states they must be implanted and vet records proprly documented and maintained(costs the same as dogs, but I found a good reptile vet already for the burms). They treat it just like a dogs getting vacs and chipped. And yes she does require shots on an annual basis.
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    1.1 Dobermans

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Very cute! It would be neat to have one, but I like to own pets that won't eat me

I know in Iowa, at least a few years ago, you could have gators without a permit/license of any sort. A small pet shop in my home town will sell them to anyone. Apparently there is someone there who has several gators and once they are adults he sells them for their skin......

And that's also how the laws work around here for size too. In Iowa City you can't own a snake over 8 feet, but the pet stores sell red tails like crazy, and they don't bother to tell buyers that the snake is illegal once it's full grown. I've had a chat with them about this, but you know how that goes
    Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 01-19-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks
    People who buy and ship reptiles have plenty of old boxes they reuse..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Im not by any means trying to find loopholes and evade things. Most of them probably arent even aware of the law. There are irresponsible people in all hobbies and yes unfortunately it adversly effects the ones who do choose to play by the rules.

And yes exact wording does mean ALOT if the issue arises. Who determines if a 10ft gator in your living room floor is dangerous or not. Hell Im married and she is more dangerous than a full grown gator and I dont have to tell the law I own her lol!
    Hmmmmmm
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    That is awesome. Don't see many of those around lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Jon
    0.1 Hog Cross Boa
    1.0 Hypo 100% het sharp Albino
    1.0 Albino B.P.
    1.0 Super Pastel
    1.0 Pastel B.P.
    1.1 Pied B.P.
    0.1 Pinstripe B.P.
    0.1 poss het pied B.P.