Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,403

1 members and 3,402 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Husbandry for baby Gator?

I have studied up on care sheets on alligators for about six months or so prioir to getting one.

Currently I have followed most of the following, http://www.reptileuv.com/reptile-car...-alligator.php

I have a 55g setup with an undertank heater on the non basking, aquatic site to somewhat help maintain the water temps as well as a screened off non-glass submersable heater. I have the day lamp, ceramic heater for the night. But my biggest concern is the filtration method.

Does anyone else here have experience with baby gators and would recomend a good filter? I'm not gonna cheap out on it I just want what works. But the above care sheet says I should have a filter for that size tank regardless of amount of water in it. Is that really the case? Any tips on your experience will be much appreciated.
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    0.0.1 Alligator mississippiensis
    1.1 Dobermans

Thanks

Re: Husbandry for baby Gator?

i'm no expert on crocs (or any herps for that matter), but i do have 5+ years of keeping large and predatory aquatic fish under my belt so i will tell you this- buy the best filter you can buy! for a 55g i would personally use 2 HOB (hang on back) filters rated for a 55 tank, but since you will not have the water filled all the way you could probably have just one. you'll probably want to change the water often if you plan to have fish in there....

i would personally use an FX5 as filtration for his larger enclosures. also,i don't know what you plan is for your bigger and/or final enclosures but if you intend on keeping fish in there for any duration of time for him to eat you'll want to read up on aquarium cylcing, especially if he doesn't eat them immediately.

by the way, its probably not a good idea to feed him feeder goldfish since they contain lots of diseases from poor care and will likely cause illness in your tank water and causing the feeders to die....

tim
    Last edited by Aerial; 01-19-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Also, I wouldn't really make it fully aquatic. Reason I say this is because alligators do like to sit on land from time to time.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

Yeah I know, she has plenty of room to bask under the lamp during the day. But so far she spends 95% of her time in the water. But she does have the best of both worlds.

And I have a half a dozen actual minnows for now as well as I drop a few crickets in every day. I am waiting on my case of Mazuri Crocodilian Diet to come in. I have the breeders menu and schedual as well so she is not thrown off too badly.
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    1.1 Dobermans

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

If it were me, I'd use a canister filter of some sort--a hang on back will cause a ton of splashing and just be a hassle to keep it operating. HOBs are not meant to run with low water levels. Canister filters are more efficicient at doing what you want, just be prepared to clean it often. Fluvals are great. Magnums are cheaper and still work well. if you're not worried about a failure making a spill, the cheap-o ones do quite well, actually... I just wouldn't trust them long term.

Thanks

now that yo mentioned it I have been looking at dozens of them and the canister is the way to go IMO. I'm going with the Hagen Fluval FX5 External Canister Filter. I choked at the price ($299) but I think it will be more than enough to keep some fish in the tank plus keep the water nice and fresh.

If you havent noticed I am going all out on my new baby and she will only have the best. It has been a long time comming and alot of $$$ saving and planning involved. I am quite proud of this one!
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    1.1 Dobermans

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I've seen fluvals last more than ten years... a nice justification for their price. however, be aware that you'll want a larger filter sooner rather than later.

Also check salt-water forums for used canister filters. plenty of people buy them and then discover they're junk for SW. I sold a magnum350 I had for $30 IIRC, and I've seen lots of deals similar... FW forums have deals, but not as impressive as the SW, since their application is best for FW tanks...
    Last edited by waltah!; 01-20-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: replaced censored word with italics

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyTF View Post
    I've seen fluvals last more than ten years... a nice justification for their price. however, be aware that you'll want a larger filter sooner rather than later.

Also check salt-water forums for used canister filters. plenty of people buy them and then discover they're worthless for SW. I sold a magnum350 I had for $30 IIRC, and I've seen lots of deals similar... FW forums have deals, but not as impressive as the SW, since their application is best for FW tanks...
    Sorry! It just slipped out!

Thanks

I ended up getting a pond filter with bio balls for my gator when I had her. Worked wonders and it kept her water clean and stable for fish even. Also if fed properly a 55 gal will not last you very long before she out grows it. I recommend xlarge plastic storage containers. Glass and Gators are a dangerous combination. Also we always put clean sifted, flushed sand in her aquatic areas, they love to dig while in water. A hiding spot is a must as well, preferably in the water. They are a very shy animal, they need somewhere to feel safe. I fed mine alot of raw roast and chicken supplemented with repcal calcium w/D3. Oh if possible they love waterfalls! Mine would sit under hers for hours, I think it was her own personal massager, LOL! Man I miss her.

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks

First of all let me state....I know NOTHING in regards to alligators. However if I am understanding correctly and she is outside you should not need the D3. You only use that when they are not exposed to UV

EDIT - nevermind...it helps when you read the first post and not the second...sorry! :-)
    Last edited by BPelizabeth; 05-26-2010 at 11:06 AM.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list