Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,370

1 members and 3,369 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gabby Viper

Thanks

Re: Gabby Viper

Gabbys might be an ok species to work with as a rookie. I think there are much better species that you could start out with, but of the species you listed as wanting the gaboon might be your best. Although most of the time they are slow and almost ball python like, they can react very quickly. I know a guy who sold one of his baby gaboons to a lady in California, who decided to free handle her's and they found her dead days later in her house. They litterally had to scrape her of the floor. This girl had experience with hots and work at the zoo in California. So dont under estimate them. Also there is a pic on Venom-center.com of a boomslang bite, it might make you think twice before you free handle one. Fer-de-lance are very dangerous. Be very careful when working with them. The are one of the most dangerous species in South America, killing more people then any other species there. My good friend has a pair of adults, and they a one of the most aggressive/fast snakes he owns. I would rather mess with his spitters then the fer-de-lance.

My personal opion is that you are jumping into things quick. Remember that hurrying hurts. Make sure you learn as much from your mentor as possible, before you mess with some of the species you listed.

Matt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MKHerps View Post
    Gabbys might be an ok species to work with as a rookie. I think there are much better species that you could start out with, but of the species you listed as wanting the gaboon might be your best. Although most of the time they are slow and almost ball python like, they can react very quickly. I know a guy who sold one of his baby gaboons to a lady in California, who decided to free handle her's and they found her dead days later in her house. They litterally had to scrape her of the floor. This girl had experience with hots and work at the zoo in California. So dont under estimate them. Also there is a pic on Venom-center.com of a boomslang bite, it might make you think twice before you free handle one. Fer-de-lance are very dangerous. Be very careful when working with them. The are one of the most dangerous species in South America, killing more people then any other species there. My good friend has a pair of adults, and they a one of the most aggressive/fast snakes he owns. I would rather mess with his spitters then the fer-de-lance.

My personal opion is that you are jumping into things quick. Remember that hurrying hurts. Make sure you learn as much from your mentor as possible, before you mess with some of the species you listed.

Matt
    I never said anything about me free handling anything venomous, I said I wouldn't. I don't think i'm jumping into anything being that my intentions on getting venomous are about 6 months from now, and that's at the earliest, may be later, depends what route I decided to go with my 2 GSXR1000's. I won't get anything until I feel that i'm comfortable with working with them though.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

Thanks

All i can recommend is, Midwest tong 'Soft tongs'
    and start with a native spiecies.

I LOVE N.P. Rattlers.

too bad i only get to play with the ones i find field herping.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I was doing a good bit of reading, I like a lot of things about the Gaboon, but what's ultimately going to decide what I get as a first Hot species, is the way the looks intrigue me. Gaboon's are very beautiful in natures since, then price will play a factor, because I have my limit on what I'd pay for anything. The only native snake that I really find nice looking is the Coral Snake, and there's no way i'm starting off with that as a first snake. Some of the other ones are like the White Lip Viper? Also the Chinese Bamboo Vipers(the male) look very nice with the red stripe. The Chinese Red Spotted Viper is also another I like, but $650 is a price range i'm not willing to step up to. Moreless $250 is going to be my limit, maybe a tad bit more with shipping and all. I know whenever I get into the Cobras though, I already found the one I want, it's a Gold Headed Cape Cobra, but it would have to be CB, and I want something a yearling or less. Not something already 5 ft. So if anybody has any recommendations with any species which would make great display snakes, and not too pricey please let me know, so I can start making up a list.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

I am sorry if I offended you. I think some of the arboreals are great start. I know you said you were not going to free handle anything but I just wanted to let you know what some of those snakes are capable of. Alot of the arboreals you jsut mentioned like the white lip, and bamboo vipers are not as nearly dangerous as fer-de-lance. A bite from one will cause a lot of pain, but usually will not result in death or loss of an extremity. White lips are a great start in to hots. I have eyelash vipers and some bamboo vipers. My bamboo vipers are different then the species you are seeing on KS. Here is a pic of one om mine.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Matt

Thanks
    Blog Entries

I am sorry if I offended you. I think some of the arboreals are great start. I know you said you were not going to free handle anything but I just wanted to let you know what some of those snakes are capable of. Alot of the arboreals you jsut mentioned like the white lip, and bamboo vipers are not as nearly dangerous as fer-de-lance. A bite from one will cause a lot of pain, but usually will not result in death or loss of an extremity. White lips are a great start in to hots. I have eyelash vipers and some bamboo vipers. My bamboo vipers are different then the species you are seeing on KS. Here is a pic of one om mine.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Matt
    No offense taken. I love the first 2 pictures. The second 2 aren't bad, but the color wouldn't suit me. Do you breed your bamboo vipers? Also what do you normally sell them for?
    -Venomous-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    I'm going to be working with either the Fer-de-lance or Boomslang before I get the species I want. I'll be working with the Gaboon more also. Then once I feel comfortable with hooking things and learning the ins and outs with it then I want to get the species I want
    you should be comfortable working with a hook before you work with hots. also cape cobras are pretty nasty and have a very bad bite not a cobra that should be kept as a first elapid

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jparker1167 View Post
    you should be comfortable working with a hook before you work with hots. also cape cobras are pretty nasty and have a very bad bite not a cobra that should be kept as a first elapid
    If you read my posts, i'm not getting a hot anytime soon. It will be months down the road when I feel i'm comfortable. I know I can work with a hook easy, I worked with a stick easy to move copperheads & cottonmouths. Cobra will also not be my first snake. That's over a year away anyways. My first will probably be one of the arboreal vipers.
    -Venomous-

Thanks

There has been a lot of people in this thread telling you what to and what not to get. I think really it is what you want. Dont get something you're not going to enjoy keeping just because everyone says that is what you need. Nobody wants to see you get hurt either. So take as much time learning as you can with a mentor. When you feel the time is right go for it. We all started somewhere. I did not have anyone teaching me the ropes, but man I wish I had. You are lucky on that aspect. Just be careful and always stick to the rules, it could mean your life when dealing with hots. If you need to clean water bowls or cages but dont have the time to take the snake out first, then just dont clean that day. Being in a hurry will get you hurt. That is all I can recommend, but in the end get an animal that makes you happy everytime you look at it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

There has been a lot of people in this thread telling you what to and what not to get. I think really it is what you want. Dont get something you're not going to enjoy keeping just because everyone says that is what you need. Nobody wants to see you get hurt either. So take as much time learning as you can with a mentor. When you feel the time is right go for it. We all started somewhere. I did not have anyone teaching me the ropes, but man I wish I had. You are lucky on that aspect. Just be careful and always stick to the rules, it could mean your life when dealing with hots. If you need to clean water bowls or cages but dont have the time to take the snake out first, then just dont clean that day. Being in a hurry will get you hurt. That is all I can recommend, but in the end get an animal that makes you happy everytime you look at it.
    Yea, that's what i'm trying to make clear. I don't want to waste the money to get a rattlesnake or a copperhead or something like that. I'm also not going to start off on a Cobra because I don't feel comfortable enough to work with them yet. I will always be careful, no matter how experienced I become. I think my first hot will be one of the aboreal vipers. Either the bamboo or the beautiful tree, I definately can say that i'm taking a liking to arboreal vipers though. Just want to do a bit more research on the adult size, and behavior, and venom the whole 9.
    -Venomous-

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast