Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,213

0 members and 3,213 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Breeding sets per snake???

With average production how many Adult Snakes can you feed off a 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 breeding set of ASF's. Just wanting the ballpark numbers. Thanks.

and Yes I did a search,lol.

Thanks

Re: Breeding sets per snake???

I have 14 ball pythons and 3 red tailed boas right now. I have 8 breeding quads of Asfs and im just barely keeping up. It also depends on how often you want to feed. I feed mine every 4 days. If i dont have enough feeders the males can skip a meal. I need the females to grow so they dont ever miss a feeding.

I would keep at least a trio of rats per snake. They dont always produce the high numbers so figure low.

Thanks

based on a colony of 1.2.

some average figures would be as follows.When they start producing they should giveroughly 20-25 every 28-30 days.
    At around 6-7 weeks they will be between 25-30 grams so i would be looking to feed every four days or 2 a week.

Based on these figures once you have allowed time for first litters to reach suitable size for feeding (6 week in my own opinion ) you should have 10-12 weeks supply from a 1.2 colony feeding one adult snake. This would hopefully be a rolling supply as as you take the older ones the younger litters are left to reach suitable sizes.

Just my thoughts but thats my opinion.

Obviously litter sizes vary widley and also time in between litters does too.

For one snake i would use 1.2 and if things dont work out increase /change to 1.3

Andy

Thanks

well I got 2 alrge tanks of asf and tey not breeding ( onetank yet 0the othertank is full of older asf and I not keeping up with demand. I also got a 1.6 of rats that are bearly doing he job for the larger snakes. I onl have 19 snakes. I feed my youngest first then the sub adults and then older snakes until I feed off the ones i select to feed off. I actually need to get rid of the mice and use strickying asf and rats due to limit space. ( mice were gotten for a horde of corns I had and then traded off for more asf.
    Was married to 4theSNAKElady (still wish we were)
    Ball pythons
    0.1 pieds 0.1 het pied

4.2 sugar gliders ( non breeding pets)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mechnut450 View Post
    well I got 2 alrge tanks of asf and tey not breeding ( onetank yet 0the othertank is full of older asf and I not keeping up with demand. I also got a 1.6 of rats that are bearly doing he job for the larger snakes. I onl have 19 snakes. I feed my youngest first then the sub adults and then older snakes until I feed off the ones i select to feed off. I actually need to get rid of the mice and use strickying asf and rats due to limit space. ( mice were gotten for a horde of corns I had and then traded off for more asf.
    Breeding groups of 1.3 are FAR more efficient than a group of 1.6. I have tried many different combinations and, in my experience, 1.3 is the best size group.
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine in 'The Age of Reason'
    -----------------------
    Ball Pythons
    Red Tailed Boas
    Corn Snakes
    Dumeril's Boas
    Blood Pythons
    ---
    0.1 Wife, A.K.A. "The Taminator"
    2.2 Kids (The Anchors Around My Neck)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 05chev View Post
    With average production how many Adult Snakes can you feed off a 1.2, 1.3 or 1.4 breeding set of ASF's. Just wanting the ballpark numbers. Thanks.

and Yes I did a search,lol.
    I always try to figure conservatively so my assumptions are:

Each 1.3 colony will produce approximately 3 litters per month and each litter will average 10 kittens.

Therefore each 1.3 group will produce approximately 30 babies per month.

Once you have grown them up to full size (unfortunately that takes about 9-12 weeks!) each adult rat should be in the 75-90 gram range. Your ball pythons should be eating about 15% of their body weight per week so now you just have to do the math ;-)
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine in 'The Age of Reason'
    -----------------------
    Ball Pythons
    Red Tailed Boas
    Corn Snakes
    Dumeril's Boas
    Blood Pythons
    ---
    0.1 Wife, A.K.A. "The Taminator"
    2.2 Kids (The Anchors Around My Neck)

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Depends on a LOT of things.

Figure 1.2 asf's for every 3 snakes to start with then adjust from there based on your own personal experiences. ALWAYS plan to make more then you need. Having too many can always be fixed by selling or freezing / storing the extras. Having too few SUCKS.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333