Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,169

2 members and 2,167 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,114
Threads: 248,559
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, kindred_of_rot
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Best time of year to buy a young BP

Well, I'm thinking of getting a couple modest BP morphs so I can start along a breeding path. It seems like people follow a pretty typical breeding schedule and I was wondering if any time of the year provided better/more consistent deals on healthy BPs. I'm a big salt-water hobbyist and I know that during the summer unbelievable deals can be had for that hobby... Anyway, any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

Re: Best time of year to buy a young BP

In general you'll find better deals in the summer when everybody's babies have hatched, fed, and are available (although BP breeding seems to be a year-round thing now). If you want to get started with a breeding program, buy your females now. It takes longer for females to get up to breeding size, and next summer you can get a deal on a double co-dom male (i.e. bumblebee, pewter, blast, etc.).

I used to be big time into saltwater aquaria and reefs... Welcome to the dark side!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I've been reef keeping for 5+ years now, that's a hobby I'm never going to kick, I'm pretty sure. The good news is that this hobby can't be as intensive/expensive/addicting as that one... right? lol

Thanks

Yep...if you're trying to get the best possible deal, May through September are good. Babies have been hatching for a couple months and breeders need to keep the workload from getting out of hand as they hatch more.

I don't know if I'd be looking to save a few dollars by buying a fresh baby. You can usually find just as good a deal (or close enough) on a well started 100+ gram snake. Breeders hatch most of their year's production between late spring and early fall, so it's not like they're going to sell out for the year before September or October. Just take your time and find a good deal on a nice looking, well started baby.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AnthonyCaponetto For This Useful Post:

WesleyTF (01-09-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

not looking for the BEST deal, just looking for what trends might help out a bit. I'm usually pretty good at cost/benifit, and patience is now pretty well ingrained... the ultimate saltwater motto is "nothing good happens fast"

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

would you then say the reptile show this weekend would probably have pretty lousy odds at a good deal on a healthy snake?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WesleyTF View Post
    would you then say the reptile show this weekend would probably have pretty lousy odds at a good deal on a healthy snake?
    I got my male het axanthic and female spider at pretty cheap deals compared to what I have seen. Seems like breeders are looking to empty the hatchings out to make room for the new guys. Looking for female het axanthic and mojaves this summer.
    PS my little guys were late clutches as well.

Thanks

Which one, the Pomona show? You should be able to get a quality animal at a fair price. A lot of our BP.netters will be there, although unfortunately I won't be able to make the drive north.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

yes, sorry, I meant the one in pomona. I'm used to 'local' message boards, sorry for the confusion. Hell, I've never even SEEN most of these morphs in person, so I should probably just go to see what gets me going when my eyes are actually on it...

Thanks

I almost always find the best deals at local shows. You dont pay shipping and you can hole the snakes and see subtle differences in each individual. I would rather do most of my deals at a local show than anywhere else. You should be fine.
    0.1 Spider
    1.0 Mojave
    1.0 Pastel
    0.1 Lesser
    0.0.1 Alligator mississippiensis
    1.1 Dobermans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast