Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,385

4 members and 3,381 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Exclamation Help! Checking for broken bones?

My new liasis fuscus ir a wiley one very sporadic i fear that i may have grabbed hime too hard when he made a dart for it.
    It wasnt really that hard but i think i heard a crunch, he seems fine didnt seem to react to it,
    Any way to safely check him for breaks? im worried i may have damaged a rib .

I hope i am just being paranoid i love all my snakes to death and in no way want harm to come to them.

Any advice would be awesome ty

BPnet Veteran Chocolate Muffin's's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Help! Checking for broken bones?

Do you have qualified vet that you can take the animal to? I guess photos wouldn't help, but with the little information you have given, I suspect that an XRay or some other method must be used to determine if any vertebrae are broken. I also don't if these animals are self healing or not.

Hopefully others will chime in. Let's hope hes ok, sounds like it was an accident,
    Keep your chin up
    Chocolate Muffin (f- normal) - 4 1/2 years old
    Nico N. Wilson (f - normal) - 20 years old

and introducing:

Doreanne P. Smithe - 3 years old
    (f - BCI /CRTB)

WELCOME HOME!
    Doreanne

Thanks

i read a post a while back about certain deformations and lack of muscle use and other signs to look for. try a search n maybe u can find that to help u for now. but yes, hopefully someone more experienced will chime in

Thanks

Ok, I am not 100% sure this method works as well for snakes as it does for humans. But as an athletic trainer there are three ways to check for broken bones. 1 administer cold, cold from say an ice cube is much more painfull on a broken bone than esle where, you may want to try against different points on your snake becuase overall they might not like a suddenshock of cold being cold blooded but this method is the least damaging. 2 if you tap on a broken bone and the vibration doesent carry to the other end it means its broken. the bones in snakes arent long enough for this to wrok verywell so i would say skip this method. Last, lightly grinding the two ends of a broken bone hurts ALOT while pulling the ends appart feels a lot better. I gotnt hing this would work becuase you could easily hurt the snake doing itand I dont think there would be much to grab onto for the ribs. Of the methods i suggested only try the ice thing, I'm sorry I cant offer anything specific to snakes but my knowledge is with people. A vet would be the only way to know 100% and is my ultimate recommendation
    The python in my avatar was two feet at the time...
    You know what they say about guys with big hands!