Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,409

1 members and 3,408 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: I Broke My First Horse Ever!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Super congrats! That takes a lot of patience.

Good luck with her, I'm sure she'll be a nice calm horse when she's used to being ridden. Doesn't look flighty at all.
    Thank you!!! I've put quite a few hours into that girl. She's amazingly clam for a young horse! It takes a lot to get her worked up and she clams down pretty quickly. She's beginning her 3rd week at the trainer! I'm so excited to get her back and start riding her on the trails! I haven't had a chance to talk to him yet so I have no idea how she is doing outside of the round pen.

Thanks

Amazing work you've done with her, to be so calm and trusting! I used to do dressage years ago but can't afford to keep horses anymore

Whats her name?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FrostFell For This Useful Post:

SlitherinSisters (02-28-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrostFell View Post
    Amazing work you've done with her, to be so calm and trusting! I used to do dressage years ago but can't afford to keep horses anymore

Whats her name?
    Thank you every much! Her name is Tora, it means thunder, she was born during a thunderstorm. Her mom had a really tough time having her because she was so huge!

I went to the trainer to ride her this past week and my lord I think she grew even more!!! She's really awesome. The trainer said she wasn't great while being saddled because she moved around, but she didn't move a single foot when I saddled her! She did give me some issues when I rode her. He has a really big indoor area (what you can see in the picture is the viewing area, about 1/4th of the barn) and she was spooky because the wind was blowing ice against the steel building. She took off on me a couple times but only went 3-4 strides before I got her stopped. She's really difficult to steer right now. He is keeping her another 3 weeks, so that will make it a total of 2 1/2 months of training.

Here's a new picture of her from this week! I realize she's a tad young to be broke, but he wanted to start her now because she's so big. She's 2 months shy of 2 years old. I trust his judgment and he is a very "horse whispery" type of trainer. He's VERY quite and kept telling me I wasn't praising or talking to her enough. I thought I talked a lot! He can steer her pretty well and he does it by holding the reins with his pinky finger! He mostly trains barrel racers and has world and nationally ranked barrel horses. He just sold a brother to one of the nationally ranked mares for $15,000 and he didn't have any titles!!!!

I'm holding her and I'm just a hair short of 5'7''

Last edited by SlitherinSisters; 02-28-2010 at 02:32 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12