Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,429

3 members and 3,426 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Royal Morphz Maker Royal Morphz's Avatar
    Thanks

So people tell me about your Woma Python's

I just wanna hear you guys stories I will have a few of these coming to Royal Morphz in the next week or so and want to learn anything extra that I haven't already found out. The 1.2 that are coming are all adults and are well into the size to breed but I may choose to wait and learn a bit more. Maybe you can show me how you house them and what there tube/cage setup should look like. I have already spoken with a very well respected breeder that has given me a few pointers and would welcome anymore you might give me. Thanks ahead or time.
    Tim Johnson

Royal Morphz Maker Royal Morphz's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: So people tell me about your Woma Python's

Whoa no one here has these beautiful Aussie Pythons?
    Tim Johnson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

I don't have any but I've had the pleasure of handling a couple. They're great animals, they seemed kind of lazy to me They were very calm.

They are supposed to be pretty hardy, and after seeing their habitat when visiting Oz two years ago, I'm hardly surprised.

With how easy they are supposed to be to keep and breed, the one thing that does surprise me about this species is that I don't see them more often or see them being mass produced by anyone.

Thanks

You should talk to Skiploder... he has two beautiful womas I had the pleasure of meeting recently, and they were super cool! I actually wanted to purchase the one he's re-homing (Hank), but unfortunately don't have the space right now. He told me that womas are very active and sociable, and Hank was really fun to handle.
    Last edited by Lolo76; 01-08-2010 at 08:11 AM.
    Lolo's Collection...
    Ball Pythons: 0.4 Normals, 1.0 Pastel, 1.1 Mojaves, 1.0 Black Pastel, 2.0 Spiders, 0.1 Lesser, 1.0 Orange Ghost, 0.1 Honeybee
    0.1 Spotted Python, 1.1 Stimson's Pythons, 1.0 Jungle Carpet Python
    3.4 Corn Snakes, 1.1 Western Hognose Snakes, 1.2 cats, and 1.0 dog (47lb mutt)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Morphz View Post
    I just wanna hear you guys stories I will have a few of these coming to Royal Morphz in the next week or so and want to learn anything extra that I haven't already found out. The 1.2 that are coming are all adults and are well into the size to breed but I may choose to wait and learn a bit more. Maybe you can show me how you house them and what there tube/cage setup should look like. I have already spoken with a very well respected breeder that has given me a few pointers and would welcome anymore you might give me. Thanks ahead or time.
    I used to breed them but am down now to a couple of males........

As adults, they will use every bit of a 4x2x1 cage. I keep the hot spot at around 90 and the cool end of the cage at 79. They will actively use hides and I keep my hide direct under the heat source. Occasionally, I will find them basking on top of the hide, indicating that they will sometimes seek temperatures around 95 to 98.

Humidity is around 35 to 45%. I have never had the need to spray or mist them.

As adults, they will eat a medium sized rat every 7 to 10 days like clockwork, with the exception of the males who will go through a mini fast from September or October through December. When the days get colder and shorter, the males will start pacing their cages, during this time, they become disinterested in food and more interested in making baby womas.

Temperaments vary, but a a general rule, they are docile and very handleable. Most have a very active feeding response and care should be taken when removing them from their cages to insure that they realize you are not a food item (a tap on the head or the body usually suffices).

I have used different substrates but have found that they like something they can burrow a bit into - like aspen.

One thing I have noticed with both aspidites species is that they drink and pee a lot. For this reason, this is one species that I give daily water changes to.

Once in a feeding routine, you will find that unless they are coming off of a fast, they will poop every 6 to 7 days.

During warmer weather, I regularly give my womas supervised romps on the lawn - letting them bask in the sun and nose around in the grass. Adults seems to enjoy this little bit of exercise.

Other than that - they are fairly bulletproof. Even the more aggressive ones can be calmed down with regular handling. They are a species that once acclimated to being handled, seem to look forward to it.

One word of caution - they don't always go for a "regular" constriction" on their prey. More often than not, they will pin the prey against the wall of the cage or a cage furnishing without even bothering to bite. For that reason, once they get to the point where they are being fed items that can bite back - you should feed either P/K or F/T.

Womas are a species that, in Australia, have very distinct localities. Some colorful, some high contrast, some drab. A number of years ago, I was able to see those wonderful locality variations firsthand and came away with a deep respect for how unique each were. Here in the States, we have no clue as to keeping these lines pure and have intermixed them to breed bright colorful animals.

I would highly recommend you check out http://www.aussiepythons.com/ and see how many localities there are (boodarie, tennant creek, rockhampton downs, uluru, etc. etc.) and how the Aussies strive to breed true to these lines. While it's impossible to sort those lines out here in the States, it's neat to see how dedicated keepers are over there to maintaining this natural integrity.
    Last edited by Skiploder; 01-08-2010 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts