Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,122

1 members and 3,121 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,552
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics
    Thanks

rancos- cut the green ground or wire it in??

just bought 2 rancos off of ebay for a total of 112$ shipped and im gonna wire each one. im using the diagram from rc reptiles and saw he clips the green grounded cord, but i also have a ranco i got from boaphile and its wiered in to the stat... if i clip it flush will this change ne thing? my racks are rhino raxx from boaphile so i dont think i need to worry about it grounding out on ne thing. ne help or insight much appriciated!!
    -shane
    "You can derelict my balls, capi-tan." -zoolander
    lots o ball pythons!
    www.holdfastreptiles.com

Thanks

Re: rancos- cut the green ground or wire it in??

Quote Originally Posted by irishanaconda View Post
    just bought 2 rancos off of ebay for a total of 112$ shipped and im gonna wire each one. im using the diagram from rc reptiles and saw he clips the green grounded cord, but i also have a ranco i got from boaphile and its wiered in to the stat... if i clip it flush will this change ne thing? my racks are rhino raxx from boaphile so i dont think i need to worry about it grounding out on ne thing. ne help or insight much appriciated!!
    -shane
    If the heat sources you are using DO NOT have grounds on thier cords, then it does not matter if the ground going to the power strip is hooked up or not(remember, if you do not hook up the groung to the power strip, you should never plug a grounded plug into the strip). I would deffinately make sure that the stat is grounded though, if you choose not to ground the power strip(because you will most likely be touching this and don't want to make yourself the ground had you had any problems). In short, it is never a bad idea to ground anything that has to deal with electricity. Would I ground it? Yes!! If it is there....Hook it up! Why not? Hope this helps

Disclaimer: I am not telling you to not hook the ground up! All I am saying is that it is not necessary to ground the strip if the heat sources or other loads do not have grounds on them.
    Last edited by twistedtails; 01-05-2010 at 01:14 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twistedtails For This Useful Post:

irishanaconda (01-05-2010)

Thanks

thanks, dont worry.. im not going to sue lol. what if i didnt hook up the ground but i plugged a 3 prong wire into the stat? what would this do if ne thing?
    "You can derelict my balls, capi-tan." -zoolander
    lots o ball pythons!
    www.holdfastreptiles.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by irishanaconda View Post
    thanks, dont worry.. im not going to sue lol. what if i didnt hook up the ground but i plugged a 3 prong wire into the stat? what would this do if ne thing?
    That's what I was trying to mention. Grounds are basically there just in case the hot or neutral wire are interupted(the electricity has somewhere to go). If you don't have the ground hooked up and the hot or neutral is interupted, then you become the ground and get shocked. If you plugged the three pronged cord into the strip and the strip is not grounded then when the hot or neutral is interupted, most likely the whole item you plugged in will be hot(waiting to shock whatever or whoever touches it next). Grounds are always a good idea to use. Like I mentioned earlier, if it is there just hook it up.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twistedtails For This Useful Post:

irishanaconda (01-05-2010)

Thanks

Just simply attach the green to a metal part inside(housing or frame or a screw) and that will ground the unit. It's easy and may save you a nasty jolt in the future!