Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,971

0 members and 2,971 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,103
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Michaelmcalvey
    Thanks

New to the forum and full of questions!

First off my name is Ernie, and my ball's name is Sookie. She's about 2 feet from snout to tail and about 5-6inches in girth, she's in a 20 gallon tank long. and here she is!!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...-30at20052.jpg
    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...2-30at2005.jpg

i just got her from a friend. she's pretty tame. last meal was

December 27th last year(lol just sound awful) and next meals scheduled for this friday.

had a couple questions

i had a small corn snake a couple years ago and was more obvious she had to eat pinky mice but now i have an obviously much larger and not sure how big and how many or to keep her on a 2 week time frame or 1 a week schedule.

and how long does it take for residual peelings of her shed to fall off and should i soak her in a warm bath to help her out? i know their shed is supposed to be in one piece but my guess is her previous owner didnt keep high enough humidity in the tank before for proper shed. i was thinking also to use a shed aid.

Thanks

Re: New to the forum and full of questions!

Quote Originally Posted by sookieball View Post
    First off my name is Ernie, and my ball's name is Sookie. She's about 2 feet from snout to tail and about 5-6inches in girth, she's in a 20 gallon tank long. and here she is!!

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...-30at20052.jpg
    http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/j...2-30at2005.jpg

i just got her from a friend. she's pretty tame. last meal was

December 27th last year(lol just sound awful) and next meals scheduled for this friday.

had a couple questions

i had a small corn snake a couple years ago and was more obvious she had to eat pinky mice but now i have an obviously much larger and not sure how big and how many or to keep her on a 2 week time frame or 1 a week schedule.

and how long does it take for residual peelings of her shed to fall off and should i soak her in a warm bath to help her out? i know their shed is supposed to be in one piece but my guess is her previous owner didnt keep high enough humidity in the tank before for proper shed. i was thinking also to use a shed aid.
    To get the shed off soak her a couple times and run her through a moist towel and see if that gets off most of it. A couple soaks may be necessary.

For feeding, I would try to get her small rats at that size. See if she will take f/t because IMO rats are a little more fierce than mice, but live will also work fine.

What is the cage like? Do you have digital thermometers and hygrometers to regulate humidity and temperature? How are you heating the cage? What are you using to control the heat? What is the substrate?

Good luck!

Thanks

well the tank is one that the guy who sold me her had her in. im looking to get her a 40 gallon tank thats not too tall and plenty long.
    right now she has a bulb fixed in the tank and she doesn't get to close to it to burn her, she hides under the rocks i put in there right under the light. and another bulb on the other side of the tank over her water but far enough from it. it doesn't heat the tank much but it keeps it at 80 min. during the day its about 90-98F she's in aspen shavings but i dont like it. i would rather use eco-earth because i had some geckos and that kept the humidity nice and high and its easy to clean. and i know from a corn snake i had that they can burrow easily in it. i'll try soaking her tomorrow. i honestly dont think she can handle a small rat. i think a 3 inch mouse would be better but i plan on taking her with me to this reptile/snake specialty store near my house for their recommendation on feeding and frequency, but ill tell them what you've recommended too. see if they agree.
    like i said. i got what came with her. the tank and those bulbs and one strip thermometer and no hygrometer. but that im getting this week on my check. but iv'e been misting. so hopefully im helping.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    To get the shed off soak her a couple times and run her through a moist towel and see if that gets off most of it. A couple soaks may be necessary.

For feeding, I would try to get her small rats at that size. See if she will take f/t because IMO rats are a little more fierce than mice, but live will also work fine.

What is the cage like? Do you have digital thermometers and hygrometers to regulate humidity and temperature? How are you heating the cage? What are you using to control the heat? What is the substrate?

Good luck!

Thanks

Here is a list of things that you will need:

Accurite Thermometer (found at Walmart in the hardware section)
    1 or 2 UTH - to regulate the warm and cold side temps, these do better with keeping humidity high than light heaters. (Got to get another UTH myself...the lights are just killing Serena's humidity)
    A thermostat to control the heat of the UTHs (These have to be ordered, unless your local petstore carries them...still have to order mine).
    If you have to order it, you need to go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and get manual lamp dimmers to help regulate the temps until you can get the thermostat. They are in the lighting section, ask for a manual lamp dimmer.

I agree with changing the substrate, I currently use ReptiBark, as I like the way that it looks, however, (if you want something natural looking), you can also use Eco Earth or Cypress Mulch. The drawback to ReptiBark is the expense, but it looks good and smells good and earthy. Cypress Mulch you can get at Lowes or Home Depot, and good size bag for pretty cheap. You just need to make sure that it is not sopping wet, and that it has NO bugs in it.

To help with heating, get black foam core board from your local Art Supply store or Walmart in the office/school supply section (2 pieces for a 20L), and cut it to fit the back and sides of your tank, Mine is taped on the OUTSIDE. Also, cut a piece to cover the screen top, with holes cut out to allow for your viewing/heating light(s), and a little corner cut out to allow for ventilation. Glue aluminum foil to the side of this that is facing down into the tank. I find that the black looks sharp, and the foam core helps better than anything else at keeping the temps up where they should be (I have a REALLY old house that can get quite cold if we are not careful.)

For feeding, feed in its enclosure, less stress on the snake and on yourself, and you can feed a snake a rodent that is approximatly the same size in girth as the snake. Mine is 42" long, 3.5 years old, and eats small live feeder rats. She will not eat F/T.

You have a wonderful looking snake there, can't wait to see more pictures and things.

Nixie.
    Chelsea Baker
    0.1 Normal Ball
    1.0 Normal Corn

http://www.wix.com/cdbfotoz/1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sookieball View Post
    . i honestly dont think she can handle a small rat. i think a 3 inch mouse would be better but i plan on taking her with me to this reptile/snake specialty store near my house for their recommendation on feeding and frequency, but ill tell them what you've recommended too. see if they agree.
    she can take a small rat. i wouldnt have a light fixture inside the cage if thats what it has. not worth the risk of a burn. Also, Id recommend a tub instead of a 40 gal tank. My pastel didnt shed properly due to humidity in her tank but since ive switch her to the tub its been flawless each time!!
    Paul