Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,400

2 members and 2,398 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New Year's Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post
    Everything was tested and the breeder brings the mother and father of the pup with him when he visits. Both parents are 5 and 6 years old.

When i bought him i got many vet paper work with all types of testing done including the dewclaw removal when young. Never once had a problem with him at all. I hardly get to see the lil guy but my father has trained him now for tracking down deer in woods. He also only listens to commands in german.
    Sounds like a great dog, and it is nice to hear of a GSD being given a job to do. They are great working dogs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to starrlamia For This Useful Post:

RichsBallPythons (01-05-2010)

Registered User Repfanaticlady28's Avatar
    Thanks

And didn't she just have the other litter back in August??? That is in NO way, shape or form a responsible thing to do. It is hard enough for the female to have a litter every year but twice in one year. DISGUSTING!
    Yep. Less than 7 months ago (6-22-09) she had 10 puppies. Large litter and very little time to recuperate before she was irresponsibly bred again. And there are still idiots that will reply saying it's not irresponsible. These people either know nothing, or would rather stick up for their "friend" rather than look out for the well being of the dog. Here comes another interesting tidbit from the last litter's thread. Quoted from post #10 (which is a post by Jyson).
    Tell me about it, and even more shocking is that this is her FIRST(and only) litter!
    Hmmm. Looks familiar. So, how many "last" litters are you going to make her suffer before you either get her spayed, or she dies?
    http://www.ball-pythons.net/forums/s...ad.php?t=94628
    So if you have such a problem with this, then why don't you make your own thread and rant all about it.
    What's the point when you've already made one for me with examples? Thank you, BTW. <-------I might be rude, but at least I show my gratefulness.
    Brook

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Repfanaticlady28 For This Useful Post:

aaramire (01-06-2010)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 724 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    A dog wouldn't need those tests if it's very healthy. Some people like to feed their dogs dinner scraps which posses a higher risk for things to come later when the dog is old, but if the dog is walked each day, fed the right amount, never really fed scraps, active, brushed, bathed, etc. (which most people are willing to do those things for their dog(s)) I don't see the need for any of those tests.
    Ok, seriously, don't open your mouth if you don't have a clue what you are talking about. These are GENETIC disorders, meaning if the parents have or carry the genes for them then it's highly likely the puppies will have issues down the line.

My boss has a mini schnauzer that at 2 years old developed cataracts and is now blind because he bought from some byb who didn't care about the issues that commonly plague the breed. My breed of choice, APBT stands at about 25% displaystic of dogs tested. I could show you xrays of a great dane puppy who was put down at 4 months old because his hips were completely out of the sockets due to careless breeding and he was in extreme agony.

But someone thought their dog just needed to be bred because it was cute or they wanted one just like it. They don't bother to think or care what happens to those dogs over the rest of their lives or how many more dogs are produced as a result of their litter. Out of sight, out of mind right?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

aaramire (01-06-2010),Calift (01-08-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Ok, seriously, don't open your mouth if you don't have a clue what you are talking about.

You really do not need to be so rude to people.
    1.0 Husband (Aaron)
    1.0 Normal (Milton)
    1.0 Puppy (Ollie)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Swingline0.0.1 For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (01-07-2010),dr del (01-05-2010),joepythons (01-05-2010),Jyson (01-06-2010),waltah! (01-06-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    A dog wouldn't need those tests if it's very healthy.
    YES, they do.

I kjnow perfectly healthy dogs that were CERFed... turned out they had cataracts. Dogs were spayed/neutered. Not bred.

In my breed, a doberman can appear perfectly healthy, but be vWD affected. Then an idiot can breed that dog to another "perfectly healthy" dog, that also happens to be vWD affected. They produce a whole litter of vWD affected puppies. And half of them end up being clinical.

What would you tell those puppy owners, as they watch their puppies bleed to death from a simple scratch? Oh golly gee whiz, the parents were perfectly healthy!

Dogs with poor hips may never show signs of it... but they can pass it on, especially if bred to another dog with bad hips. Same thing with elbows.

Responsible breeders do extensive health testing, because they feel that EVERY dog they produce should have the very best start in life. They love their breed, and want to improve their dogs by reducing health problems, increasing longevity, improving structure and perfecting the correct temperament.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sekaiNdobes For This Useful Post:

aaramire (01-06-2010),Calift (01-08-2010),catawhat75 (01-05-2010)

Thanks

Both points are valid, but here's what I don't understand.

Why are people getting on the OP's case for breeding and supporting people to adopt from shelters with thousands of homeless animals when they bought a purebred from a breeder themselves and not a shelter? I understand you wanted a purebred, but don't get on their case about shelters unless you are also doing your part to help out the shelters and adopt. Maybe you are, but this sure doesn't seem the case.

And seriously, whether people know what they are talking about or not, being so incredibly rude is not going to get your point across in a better manner. In fact, it shows a lot about you. I don't care how passionate you are about the issue, discuss it and display your side. Attacking others makes your side look a lot worse.
    Last edited by blackcrystal22; 01-05-2010 at 11:02 PM.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blackcrystal22 For This Useful Post:

Muze (01-15-2010),Swingline0.0.1 (01-06-2010),West Coast Jungle (01-06-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Swingline0.0.1 View Post
    I really tried not to comment on this post, but it is ridiculous to berate the OP like you have. Do any of you people that posted badly about this have kids? If so, are they all adopted? If the answer is no, then why not? There are millions of children that need a good home, and are in orphanages. Think that sounds crazy? So does making a big deal when somebody shows you the beautiful puppies they have.
    Well come on, I'm sure his feelings won't get hurt over this.

There's also a difference between breeding dogs as a hobby and passing on your genes.

Later, Matt
    MH

Who the hell is Pat?

"Pattimuss doesn't run, he prances most delicately, like a beautiful but sad fairy, winged and capped, curly toed shoes on each foot, dancing on dewdrops while lazy crickets play soft music for him to keep time by...." - Wes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Why are people getting on the OP's case for breeding and supporting people to adopt from shelters with thousands of homeless animals when they bought a purebred from a breeder themselves and not a shelter?
    Because there's a huge difference between the OP and actual responsible breeders. Responsible breeders don't breed to produce pets for the "market", and take back dogs they produce at any time - i.e. they aren't directly contributing to the shelter population. They title their dogs to ensure they are breeding quality specimens, and do extensive health testing to ensure they're not taking their breed backward.

My cats are from a shelter, but my dogs are from breeders... because I show my dogs in conformation and performance events. Rescue dogs can be great for performance, but in my breed there are several very serious health problems and I want to do everything in my power to ensure I have healthy dogs with the correct temperament. I have a wonderful breeder that consistently produces the type of dog I need for the activities we do.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sekaiNdobes For This Useful Post:

Calift (01-08-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blackcrystal22 View Post
    Both points are valid, but here's what I don't understand.

Why are people getting on the OP's case for breeding and supporting people to adopt from shelters with thousands of homeless animals when they bought a purebred from a breeder themselves and not a shelter? I understand you wanted a purebred, but don't get on their case about shelters unless you are also doing your part to help out the shelters and adopt. Maybe you are, but this sure doesn't seem the case.

And seriously, whether people know what they are talking about or not, being so incredibly rude is not going to get your point across in a better manner. In fact, it shows a lot about you. I don't care how passionate you are about the issue, discuss it and display your side. Attacking others makes your side look a lot worse.
    All of my animals except my dog and bp are rescues. My bf was the one who wanted a dog, and he wanted a specific breed. So we got a dog from a reputable breeder who works his dogs and health tested/certified his dogs. This isnt a popular enough breed of dog to find in a shelter (there are only a handful of breeders in North America and none would ever let their dogs end up in a shelter). Otherwise we would have gone to a shelter or rescue.

I have no problem with purebred dogs or people buying purebreds from a reputable breeder. But the OP is neither a reputable breeder, or someone breeding purebred dogs, so a rescue is a much better option (and the ethical option)

Registered User Repfanaticlady28's Avatar
    Thanks

All of my dogs and cats are rescues. I have never bought from a breeder and never will...reputable or not. I don't disagree with breeding purebred, health tested, show quality dogs, but that doesn't mean I'm going to buy them. I believe that if people are going to breed these dogs they need to contribute to their local humane society.

In the matter of this litter and the one from June it's just downright irresponsible and I'm not going to overlook an irresponsible mutt breeder that is posting on a dog forum and getting congratulated for his irresponsibility.
    And for those who gave me bad rep points....waste of your time. I could care less what you think of me. I'd give you bad rep points for congratulating an irresponsible mutt breeder, but I know they'd just be taken away anyway since most of the idiots congratulating Jyson and giving me bad rep are mods. Needless to say I'm not a fan of this site and will gladly go back to RZ when I'm finished here.
    Brook

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Repfanaticlady28 For This Useful Post:

aaramire (01-06-2010)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast