Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,178

0 members and 3,178 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: New Year's Puppies

Quote Originally Posted by sekaiNdobes View Post
    PSS -

As far as health testing on these puppies.... basing what I know of the three breeds in their makeup, I'd expect the following tests:

OFA Hips
    OFA Elbows
    Shoulder consult
    BAER
    Holter (performed annually, and before each planned litter)
    annual CERF
    TNS test
    annual thyroid panel (through MSU or other OFA accepted lab)
    Optigen (for collie eye anomaly)
    MDS screening through WSU VCPL

And no, these tests are not included in yearly checkups.
    A dog wouldn't need those tests if it's very healthy. Some people like to feed their dogs dinner scraps which posses a higher risk for things to come later when the dog is old, but if the dog is walked each day, fed the right amount, never really fed scraps, active, brushed, bathed, etc. (which most people are willing to do those things for their dog(s)) I don't see the need for any of those tests. Though, the reasons why I wouldn't personally want to own a dog is:
    -Have to do extra hard work to keep it healthy
    -Pay expensive vet bills
    -Get it shots
    -Feed it everyday
    -Let it outside
    -Clean up the crap
    -Clean up the puke
    -Walk it
    -Train it so it actually listens

I'm not a dog person at all, but I do find dogs to be very adorable. I just don't have the desire to own one when I'm on my own. It's just going to be me and the reptiles. That's all. I don't need anything else to satisfy myself. Snakes are 100x easier to care for IMO
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks

I really tried not to comment on this post, but it is ridiculous to berate the OP like you have. Do any of you people that posted badly about this have kids? If so, are they all adopted? If the answer is no, then why not? There are millions of children that need a good home, and are in orphanages. Think that sounds crazy? So does making a big deal when somebody shows you the beautiful puppies they have.
    1.0 Husband (Aaron)
    1.0 Normal (Milton)
    1.0 Puppy (Ollie)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swingline0.0.1 For This Useful Post:

Muze (01-15-2010),West Coast Jungle (01-06-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    A dog wouldn't need those tests if it's very healthy. Some people like to feed their dogs dinner scraps which posses a higher risk for things to come later when the dog is old, but if the dog is walked each day, fed the right amount, never really fed scraps, active, brushed, bathed, etc. (which most people are willing to do those things for their dog(s)) I don't see the need for any of those tests. Though, the reasons why I wouldn't personally want to own a dog is:
    -Have to do extra hard work to keep it healthy
    -Pay expensive vet bills
    -Get it shots
    -Feed it everyday
    -Let it outside
    -Clean up the crap
    -Clean up the puke
    -Walk it
    -Train it so it actually listens

I'm not a dog person at all, but I do find dogs to be very adorable. I just don't have the desire to own one when I'm on my own. It's just going to be me and the reptiles. That's all. I don't need anything else to satisfy myself. Snakes are 100x easier to care for IMO
    Are you kidding me? Wow. Health checks Should be done on EVERY dog no matter if they are deemed healthy by your vet or not. You cannot see if you are passing on some genetic problems. Dogs with hip dysplasia arent always bad enough to show symptoms, but that doesnt mean it should be bred.
    What constitutes a good food to feed your dog anyway in your opinion?

Are your dog working farm dogs? I cant see a farmer who wants a true working dog, esp a herding dog buying an unproven puppy. NVM are all of the people you sold puppies to aware of the fact that border collies need a job and can be extremely neurotic and distructive if they are not given adequate amounts of exercise?

Honestly there is absolutely no way you can justify this litter of dogs, if you dont have health testing (not vet checks) and proven working ability they are like every other mutt on the planet, great pets but adding to the overpopulation problem.

BTW reputable shelters and rescues are not full of sick animals. If the animals are sick they are being treated. Kennel cough is not generally a big deal unless you are dealing with an animal with a supressed immune system. Plus, you can find pure breds in shelters, about half of all shelter dogs are purebreds.

Do you want to read a thread which I think encompasses why people are so passionate about irresponsible breeding?

http://pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27224

And one last thing. Seka- thank you. I doubt most of the people on here would buy a random snake from their next door neighbour who thought it would be cute and fun to have baby snakes and to make a quick buck.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starrlamia For This Useful Post:

aaramire (01-06-2010),Repfanaticlady28 (01-05-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Both sides are very VALID points.

Shelters for one have a huge ass book you have to complete before they allow anything to be adopted. They have strict rules about where the dog can live and so on.

I recently this past year when to the local shelter as there was a sheppard puppy listed, i went to adopt him and they had a 15 page application on adopting a dog that had a death date in 2 weeks. Im sorry but 15 pages to adopt a dog that is set to be killed in 2 weeks is ridiculous.

I even had my father with as i was adopting this for him as he loves sheppards. They denied him cause of his location and his back yard was not suitable. Mind you my fathers back yard is 2 acres and fenced in. So rather adopt him out they denied every person application and the dog was sadly put down.

So there for im sick of shelters and will only buy from breeders who dont make you sit for 2 hours filling out paperwork to just get denied.

Edit: To add to this they even denied my mother a adult cat cause my 9 month old neise often visits my mothers house, but doesnt live or sleep there. They have a list of demands never met.
    Last edited by RichsBallPythons; 01-05-2010 at 03:27 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RichsBallPythons For This Useful Post:

Muze (01-15-2010),West Coast Jungle (01-06-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post
    Both sides are very VALID points.

Shelters for one have a huge ass book you have to complete before they allow anything to be adopted. They have strict rules about where the dog can live and so on.

I recently this past year when to the local shelter as there was a sheppard puppy listed, i went to adopt him and they had a 15 page application on adopting a dog that had a death date in 2 weeks. Im sorry but 15 pages to adopt a dog that is set to be killed in 2 weeks is ridiculous.

I even had my father with as i was adopting this for him as he loves sheppards. They denied him cause of his location and his back yard was not suitable. Mind you my fathers back yard is 2 acres and fenced in. So rather adopt him out they denied every person application and the dog was sadly put down.

So there for im sick of shelters and will only buy from breeders who dont make you sit for 2 hours filling out paperwork to just get denied.
    Some places go to far IMO, which makes it hard to adopt out the animals. But I wouldnt let that deter you from shelters or rescues. They have the animal's best interest in mind and the applications are to ensure that you can provide what the dog needs. ive read a ton of stories of people adopting pets and either bringing it back to the shelter because OMG it acts like a dog, or trying to find a home for it on kijiji/craigslist for the same reasons.

Reputable breeders will have an application just as long as most shelters. And if they dont have any applications/contract at all, they arent worth buying from.

Thanks

At the very least I hope all the puppies will be spayed and neutered before being sent to their new homes.

Thanks

Also...

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    I think another major thing that has to do with that is people not finding the right dog when they visit shelters. Some people want pure bred dogs, or nice looking mutts, and dogs that have a clean record. Clean record meaning no abuse, no parasites, etc. People are weird with Pit Bulls, since they are claimed to be born "fighters" when of course they are not, so they won't buy one from a shelter if they think it won't get along with the family or other family pets if it was used for fighting. The point is that some people want to get their dogs from top quality breeders so they have a nice dog without a bad history and know it came from someone with top notch breeding dogs.

People are starting to build non-kill shelters (these shelters are HUGE too, and have parts where the separate the new dogs from the already established dogs that got over sicknesses and got rid of parasites) so the dogs don't have to die, and so that most will get a good home.
    Your ignorance on this subject is truly astounding.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jt. For This Useful Post:

aaramire (01-06-2010),Calift (01-08-2010),GoingPostal (01-05-2010),Jamie-n-Heith (01-05-2010),Repfanaticlady28 (01-05-2010)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
    Some places go to far IMO, which makes it hard to adopt out the animals. But I wouldnt let that deter you from shelters or rescues. They have the animal's best interest in mind and the applications are to ensure that you can provide what the dog needs. ive read a ton of stories of people adopting pets and either bringing it back to the shelter because OMG it acts like a dog, or trying to find a home for it on kijiji/craigslist for the same reasons.

Reputable breeders will have an application just as long as most shelters. And if they dont have any applications/contract at all, they arent worth buying from.
    Thats true but my mother tired 2 different shelters and they all had different excuses as to why she cant have a cat.

I looked at shelters and rescues and they were either sick or not what my father wanted.

I ended up buying a Sheppard puppy from a local breeder for my father and hes been happy and the breeder still comes by and visits the dog.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post
    Thats true but my mother tired 2 different shelters and they all had different excuses as to why she cant have a cat.

I looked at shelters and rescues and they were either sick or not what my father wanted.

I ended up buying a Sheppard puppy from a local breeder for my father and hes been happy and the breeder still comes by and visits the dog.

Thats unfortunate and surprising.
    Were the parent's health tested? GSDs are prone to hip dysplasia. Cute pup.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by starrlamia View Post
    Thats unfortunate and surprising.
    Were the parent's health tested? GSDs are prone to hip dysplasia. Cute pup.
    Everything was tested and the breeder brings the mother and father of the pup with him when he visits. Both parents are 5 and 6 years old.

When i bought him i got many vet paper work with all types of testing done including the dewclaw removal when young. Never once had a problem with him at all. I hardly get to see the lil guy but my father has trained him now for tracking down deer in woods. He also only listens to commands in german.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast