Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,316

3 members and 3,313 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Registered User Wretched Deviant's Avatar
    Thanks

Mucous around eyes?

I recently got a hold of six ASFs, four females and two males to have a small breeding colony and make it larger later on. All of them are normal looking, act fine, are healthy, and none have red eyes except one male and I've noticed that his eyes kind of have clear fluid around them, it's kind of thick like mucous. He doesn't wheeze or sneeze or really act like he has a respiratory infection, and he has an appetite and acts like all the others just occasionally has that mucous sort of stuff around his eyes, it doesn't make it so his eyes can't open either. Is it common for the albinos to have it or should I start worrying? I've always kept mice and rats for feeders but ran across someone who breeds soft furs, thought maybe they'd be a nice alternative to rats since I have one boa that refuses them and half the rats we get have respiratory infections or myco, I recently bought three for feeding and I got up one morning and two were dead, so I'm sure you guys can understand my frustration with that. So anyways, it's my first time keeping these little rodents, the guy I got them from gave me some aspen shavings with them, and I've been using a rat/mouse food that I get from Wal Mart, not sure on the brand...looking at getting some Mazuri or something better shortly, or rather something that lasts longer for a decent price (spending around $4 per small bag that lasts between the mice, soft furs, and gerbils...about a week). Anyways...any input? Sorry, I ramble a little.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: Mucous around eyes?

Eye infections are pretty common, especially in the older breeders. Once I see an eye infection I let them finish nursing the current group of babies, then feed them off. usually they are near ready to pop again at that point so one of the snakes gets a big fat treat!

You could probably ignore it and they will continue to be just fine, but I prefer to feed of anything that gets eye infections or body sores.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Re: Mucous around eyes?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    Eye infections are pretty common, especially in the older breeders. Once I see an eye infection I let them finish nursing the current group of babies, then feed them off. usually they are near ready to pop again at that point so one of the snakes gets a big fat treat!

You could probably ignore it and they will continue to be just fine, but I prefer to feed of anything that gets eye infections or body sores.
    +1

I've noticed the Amber colored rats seem to be more prone to the eye infections, but any of them can get it. I don't know for a fact that the ambers are more susceptible, it's just an observation in my somewhat limited bloodlines.
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine in 'The Age of Reason'
    -----------------------
    Ball Pythons
    Red Tailed Boas
    Corn Snakes
    Dumeril's Boas
    Blood Pythons
    ---
    0.1 Wife, A.K.A. "The Taminator"
    2.2 Kids (The Anchors Around My Neck)