Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,543

0 members and 3,543 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

ASF aggression observation

We had picked up a male ASF to tempt a female ball who went off her feed, and found her in shed, so put the male in our rat rack. I've heard a lot about how bitey and unpredictable these little wild guys are, so I had some trepidation over it...but he was quiet, calm, and very docile. He simply went limp when you picked him up by the tail, and he retreated without darting around too much when you went after him.

A few weeks later, we decided to just go ahead and get a female asf, and raise a few of them.
    The day we put her into the cage with him, she bit up his ears a bit, and then they settled down...however...

Now, when you open the bin, the male comes forward, and the female retreats. He is most definitely displaying guarding behavior, and has become much more aggressive. So it seems that aggression in ASFs may be the result of guarding when they are kept in groups.

Just a theory.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Registered User singingtothewheat's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: ASF aggression observation

I'm sure that having a female around makes the males more aggressive.

In comparison to my other feeders my A.S.F.'s are very aggressive. I've learned to deal with it and I've gotten a tag a couple times. The funny thing about the A.S.F.'s is they just seem to be more tenacious! If I'm in a cage to get a feeder, I have another feeder trying to come up from behind him to get me. They close their little eyes and try to bite the stuffing's out of you. They are good parents for the most part though and they have bigger litters.
    singingtothesnakes
    1.1 Normal kids. Well for the most part anyway.
    0.1. Worlds coolest Normal Ball Python (Boo)
    0.1. Mojave Ball Python (Daisy)
    1.0. Pastel Ball Python (Sol)
    1.1. Het. for Axanthic Ball Python (Xan and Xab's)
    1.1. Garden Phase, Amazon Tree Boa's (Jetta & Izzy)
    0.1. Reverse Okeetee Corn Snake (Sarah)
    0.0.1. Gopher Snake (Little Bite)
    The Ghost did not pan out. shoot!

Hopefully by summer I'll be making payments on a 1.1 lesser

Thanks

I've noticed this before, it's once you have them in breeding groups is when they get all nasty.

I keep all my non-breeders together based on sex. All males together and all females together. Once you mix them up and put able to breed males and females to together is when it hit's the fan.
    "If I were stranded on a desert island and could only have one book, record and person...I'd probably die of exposure."

czphotography

Thanks

I have noticed that the females beat up on the males once in a while but mine aren't little monsters. I've never been bit before. If you keep them on the run they are easier to catch them by the tail, plus they cant bite you when there running away.

Thanks

I never have aggression issues with my ASFs (and I have hundreds of them).

I have no experience with other breeds of rats or mice but the ASFs have ridiculous energy reserves and they MUST have a way to release that energy. I keep my 1.3 groups in 20L tanks with 2 wheels in each tank. It's rare for the wheels to be unoccupied.

ASFs are also notorious (and prolific) chewers. Give them something to chew on and they will love you for it! I toss in an edible log every month or so and toilet paper rolls on a regular basis.

The females WILL beat up on the males from time to time, but I have never seen them do any real or lasting harm.
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine in 'The Age of Reason'
    -----------------------
    Ball Pythons
    Red Tailed Boas
    Corn Snakes
    Dumeril's Boas
    Blood Pythons
    ---
    0.1 Wife, A.K.A. "The Taminator"
    2.2 Kids (The Anchors Around My Neck)

Thanks

I've have seen the entire spectrum in my groups, from crazy wound up (youngin's) to the calm type that don't give a flip in the world.

I find the median for my groups is interested... but not aggressive.

I find this even more true as the group ages as a whole. They slow down and just relax. Preggo's can still get stirred up though, but those males just don't give a damn at all.

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Babies present, they will bite. Some are definitely more aggressive then others, but they all will bite when stressed or protecting the kids.

Your asf's never bite? BS.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    Your asf's never bite? BS.
    I have been bitten by an ASF once and it was completely my fault.

I have one particular girl who runs to greet me every morning. She will climb her food hopper and wait for me at the top of her cage knowing I'll hand feed her some sunflower seeds and scratch her behind the ear. One time I just held my finger out to her to see what she would do...well she bit...HARD. Right at the tip of my right forefinger...it hurt for days.

I don't believe she bit me out of malice, but out of curiosity. It wasn't an attacking, "I'm gonna get you!" bite, more of a, "What exactly ARE you you big ugly thing who gives me seeds?"

I have been nipped at twice. Both times by the same male and both times when I was picking him up to move him to a holding tank while I cleaned his tank. Never in any kind of attack mode, more like just letting me know he's not happy about me grabbing his tail.

LittleIndianGirl hit the nail on the head a couple posts up when she said, "I find the median for my groups is interested... but not aggressive."

My ASFs are not aggressive. Maybe it's because I give my ASFs wheels to run on and blocks to chew on. Maybe it's because they get treats (seeds, bread, or fresh veggies) every day in addition to the best lab block available (IMO Mazuri 6F). Maybe it's because, when they'll let me, I'll scratch them behind the ears or pet them on the head. I don't know, but I know MY ASFs aren't the aggressive monsters that many people make them out to be.
    "To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine in 'The Age of Reason'
    -----------------------
    Ball Pythons
    Red Tailed Boas
    Corn Snakes
    Dumeril's Boas
    Blood Pythons
    ---
    0.1 Wife, A.K.A. "The Taminator"
    2.2 Kids (The Anchors Around My Neck)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Your asf's never bite? BS.[/QUOTE]

I have hundreds of them and have NEVER been bitten!