Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,116

3 members and 3,113 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

2 tub questions and my quest will be complete

first off, i got petco gift certificates, for my christmas, YAY right, lol
    so with what i can work with will this work. on my make shift rack, i wanted to use cobra NON-ahesive mats but petco dont sell them, so could i use the zoomed, and not peel the white strip of thats protecting the sticky stuff..

2nd ??- if i get one of those outlets that have 2 plugs into 1, can plug both SAME watt heaters into it and them plug it into one thermostat or dimmer, would use my ranco but its filled and dont have enough for another one

thank you in advanve
    Last edited by BOWSER11788; 12-28-2009 at 07:42 PM.

BPnet Senior Member SquamishSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: 2 tub questions and my quest will be complete

i would reccomend using your petco gift certificate to buy a ZooMed ReptiTemp 500R or something similar if they have it (should be around $30 give or take, not sure about USD) and skip the UTH's from there. You would be able to plug both heating devices into it.

as for heating I would go with some Flexwatt. for 2 tubs it would cost you under $10 as you probably would only need 2 feet of the stuff. I know of a site where you can even order it pre-wired and ready to be hooked up to your stat.

that's just my 2 cents

Thanks

on the repti-temp, i looked and it only has one temp probe, do i put in one cage and it keeps the temp of them both the same, sorry if it souns dumb, i use to have one but took it back before ireally looked at to get a better t-stat.

Thanks

flexwatt confuses the heck out of me but if its pre-wired. just plug it in right, also would the UTH ideal work, even if i get flexwatt i'd still be wondering

Thanks

you want to run two flexwatt in two different cages with only one thermostat?

That'll work if you buy them prewired and just plug them into a strip thats plugged into the thermostat. And just put the probe on top of the flexwatt and set the temperature like 5 degrees higher then you want it(will have to play around with this), but make sure you let it run atleast 8 hours before putting your snakes in them to check the temperature.

my .02

Thanks

yes with the reptitemp, even with just 1 probe, you put it on ONE heat mat, and assuming they're both the same wattage (which, if you use flexwatt, they will be) it will keep them the same temp.

and yes, prewired flexwatt is the BEST, all you do is plug it in, and you're on your way.

another option for wiring:

if you use this site: Cornels World

and order let's say 3 feet of 4" heat tape, it would cost you $10.50 for the tape. plus use the option of "Heat tape wiring connected with crimp connectors covered with tape" that would cost you $12.00, so $22.50 total plus shipping.

but that's assuming you want your tubs to be side by side, and then you can run ONE strip of heat tape, ran off ONE plug. saves you the cost of the wiring for both of them. the only downside is the tubs must be side by side.

i will get a photo as an example in a little while

Thanks

2 problems. first is the shelf is only long enough for one 41 qt tub. second on reptitemp petco doesn't carry them online or in stores. so i did by 2 UTHs, and will order reptitemp online, but thank you very mutch on flexwatt cost , I have a AP rack that was already wired and my cousin did the ranco wiring, sence he keeps burms an bps. (he has way more experince but we are both stumped on the UTH, sticky guard melting. with all that being said. this is a cheap shelf conversion. so i will do the reptitemp. question is on reptitemp do i put the probe in the tub above UTH right, and have the acurite probe actually on UTH right, I've asked and thats how i've been using my acurites, just double checking, thank you Dean an Katia
    Last edited by BOWSER11788; 12-28-2009 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks

sounds good to me, i wasn't sure weather or not your tubs could be side by side.

the way i set up my racks is i put the probe on the OUTSIDE of the tub, directly on the UTH.

Thanks

can i use tape to keep it there, geeez, i wanted to try my hand at assembling one, heck buying another one would of been cheaper lol, thank you