We caught a yearling yellow rat snake in our house a few months ago. My stepson had been wanting a snake or lizard for some time, so we let him keep it.

At first it did fine - ate f/t, p/k or live mice easily. The last 4 weeks it has refused everything. It acts interested, but seems more afraid than it is willing to eat. We offer it a mouse every time we feed our other snakes (every 5-7 days), and if it refuses, we just give that one to one of the others.

It is in a 20gl tank with a hide, 75F on the cool end and 80+ on the warm end. It is very healthy and has a wonderful temperament otherwise.

Is this a natural reaction to the season (brumating?), or could it be something else?

I have been reading a lot on here, but haven't seen this yet: What are your feelings on WC snakes as pets? I know many of the exotics come in as wc, but what about native species?

So, is this perhaps normal behavior and it will be fine once the days lengthen, should we be concerned and take it to the vet, or should we just let it go?