Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,439

1 members and 3,438 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Southern White Lipped Python

Hey guys, i just got all my christmas money and im thinking about getting another snake. Ive loved the white lipped pythons and i looked into them awhile ago. Before i thought that 5 feet would be my limit for length but now after seeing how small a 5 foot snake is, id like to get a larger constrictor to so something between 8 and 10 feet. I did some research from the limited amount of information out there on the Southern White Lipped Python. They are absolutely beautiful and it says that males only need a 3-4 foot cage, and just my luck i have an extra 4x2x1. Would that be okay for a male adult?

As for temperment does anyone have any imput. I know people say they are nippy and can be Satan's children, but the same was said about the SD retics, and mine is so calm and that seems to be the trend with others. Im not intimidated by a nippy snake.

As for obtaining one, does anyone know any good breeders? I kind of want to go to the White Plains NY expo. Has anyone been to it? Would it be worth about a 5 hour drive?
    Connor Paschke
    Pre-vet Major at SUNY Plattsburgh

1.0 Jungle Carpet Pythons (Headhunter lineage)
    1.0 Dwarf Albino Reticulated Python (Steve Gooch)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Re: Southern White Lipped Python

From what i know they are a semi arboreal snake and can be vary nippy if not handled often young but is usually a display snake. They do get long but not thick so a 4x2 will be fine for an adult. Be sure any setup you have that you have perches for him to climb on.

If not mistaken thier teeth are big like the GTPs

you want to maintain a 80-84 cool side and about 90-94 warm side with at 75-80%% humidity at all times.

They love to HIDE like ball pythons so hiding spots are a must.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,795 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post
    From what i know they are a semi arboreal snake and can be vary nippy if not handled often young but is usually a display snake. They do get long but not thick so a 4x2 will be fine for an adult. Be sure any setup you have that you have perches for him to climb on.

If not mistaken thier teeth are big like the GTPs

you want to maintain a 80-84 cool side and about 90-94 warm side with at 75-80%% humidity at all times.

They love to HIDE like ball pythons so hiding spots are a must.
    Or, you could keep them in an arboreal set up where they like to, as do the GTPs, hang out on branches.

I have seen some that were over 6 feet.

A 4X2 flat set up will work but you would have better success, I think, in an upright setup.

Check KS. I see imports from time to time and CB babies every once in a while.
    I may not be very smart, but what if I am?
    Stinky says, "Women should be obscene but not heard." Stinky is one smart man.
    www.humanewatch.org

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redstormlax12 View Post
    Hey guys, i just got all my christmas money and im thinking about getting another snake. Ive loved the white lipped pythons and i looked into them awhile ago. Before i thought that 5 feet would be my limit for length but now after seeing how small a 5 foot snake is, id like to get a larger constrictor to so something between 8 and 10 feet. I did some research from the limited amount of information out there on the Southern White Lipped Python. They are absolutely beautiful and it says that males only need a 3-4 foot cage, and just my luck i have an extra 4x2x1. Would that be okay for a male adult?

As for temperment does anyone have any imput. I know people say they are nippy and can be Satan's children, but the same was said about the SD retics, and mine is so calm and that seems to be the trend with others. Im not intimidated by a nippy snake.

As for obtaining one, does anyone know any good breeders? I kind of want to go to the White Plains NY expo. Has anyone been to it? Would it be worth about a 5 hour drive?
    The southern (black phase) can be a bit harder to score. I know a couple of people selling northerns (gold phase).

The temperament is variable. I had one that was unpredictable and testy. The EBV had on over a year ago that was also a little jerk. I have heard other keepers attest that the black phase a a bit calmer than the gold, but I can't personally attest either way.

My experience is admittedly limited. I'm sure others with more extensive time with this species can comment on the variations in temperament.

As for the size - if you can find a black phase, they will get bigger than the gold phase. A 4x2 would be the minimum as a male can push well over 6'.

I've seen them kept as arboreal and terrestrial. I kept mine in a 4x2x2 and the animal made good use of branches and spent a lot of time off of the ground.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post

Looks like a northern - no?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Im no expert on them but either way its a cool snake

Thanks

That pair from fauna are northerns but still asked the guy for more pics so thank you for the link. And thanks to everyone that replied. So a 4x2x1 would be too small for the southern locale?
    Connor Paschke

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redstormlax12 View Post
    That pair from fauna are northerns but still asked the guy for more pics so thank you for the link. And thanks to everyone that replied. So a 4x2x1 would be too small for the southern locale?
    I'd go for more height..........

Thanks

Okay. I might have to wait on the southern locale. Would a northern locale do well in a 4x2x1? If not what other medium sized pythons would do well in that sized enclosure?
    Connor Paschke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast