Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,425

1 members and 3,424 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

Stressed Behavior???

So latley my BP hasnt been interested in eatting. Hes about 6-7 months and just about 400g. His last 2 meals he didnt seem to interested in, smelled them, licked them, but eventually stuck them. Usually he just stalks and strikes them.

The only change that has occured is that i changed his hides to slightly larger ones. He was begining to drag his others all around, and barley fit. Thes are just about a half inch larger all around.

Also he has been hanging out outside of his hides latley. I covered his tank with a sheet, to maybe help him along, and this is what i found the next morning,

Any thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Re: Stressed Behavior???

So, has he gone completely OFF food, or is it just taking him longer to take the prey?

If he hasn't, just sounds to me like he's mildly stressed about losing his old hides. He should adjust and start using them within the next week or so. Kind of like a toddler having a tantrum after having his/her favorite toy taken to the Sally Ann. Hah.

It's when he refuses food completely that something needs to be done.
    0.1 '09 Normal Ball Python - Sheva
    1.0 Crested Gecko - Sol
    1.0 SHTCTB Leopard Gecko - Paradox
    1.0 Cockatiel - Mo (Mohawk)
    0.1 Peachfaced Lovebird - Bean
    0.2 Mischievous, long-haired cats - Moxxi and Azura
    And 1.0 incredible, loving husband.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moofins07 View Post
    So, has he gone completely OFF food, or is it just taking him longer to take the prey?

If he hasn't, just sounds to me like he's mildly stressed about losing his old hides. He should adjust and start using them within the next week or so. Kind of like a toddler having a tantrum after having his/her favorite toy taken to the Sally Ann. Hah.

It's when he refuses food completely that something needs to be done.
    Well I have tried to feed him a frozen thawed about 3 times now to no avail, just isnt interested when i dangle them. Ive offered a jumbo mouse, which he normally strikes right away, and he didnt seem interested at all. He kept running away when the mouse got in his face.

He has eatten twice since changing his hides, so im not soo sure if it is because of that. Im wondering too if its related to it being winter, or if he is full. I typically feed him every days, and he has always lunged at his prey immediatley

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

At his size a Jumbo mouse is too much. He is probably fasting trying to catch up to the large meals.

Try putting one of his old hides back in, in the middle of the cage and let him settle. If he refuses next feeding do not offer again for 5-7 more days. Offering too soon after refusals will only prolong his hunger strike

Thanks

I was going to suggest putting in one of the old hides in and one of the new.

He also may be doing a seasonal going off feed thing.
    2.0 Normal BP (Paradox, Charade)
    1.0 Nicaraguan Boa (Enigma)
    1.0 Cube Stripe Corn (Ember)
    0.1 Motley Sunglow Corn (Phoenix)
    0.0.1 Sinaloan Milk (Pastiche)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flameethrower View Post
    At his size a Jumbo mouse is too much. He is probably fasting trying to catch up to the large meals.

Try putting one of his old hides back in, in the middle of the cage and let him settle. If he refuses next feeding do not offer again for 5-7 more days. Offering too soon after refusals will only prolong his hunger strike
    Well he is just about 400 grams, so a jumbo mouse at 37 grams, I dont think that is too big for him. I have concidered that maybe he is full due to large consistant meals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,580 Times in 1,923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Well he is just about 400 grams, so a jumbo mouse at 37 grams, I dont think that is too big for him. I have concidered that maybe he is full due to large consistant meals
    You are right, a jumbo mouse is just fine for a snake that size.

Try putting the snake in the hides. If he doesn't eat after a week, put the old hides back in. Its better to have your snake eat than having hides that don't move around.
    ~Steffe

Thanks

he has been in his hides befor. He goes in and out of the hot and cool side. I just found him like this one day, when he was not taking his food. Was wondering if it is particularly a stress behavior or a typical behavior. Never seen him like this befor. Just concerned.

Thanks

if he does not like his hides he could go off feed. heck its been said that some go off feed for just moving decor around in the cage