Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

0 members and 3,210 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Global Warming Could Mean No More Pets

Quote Originally Posted by wafisherman View Post
    And if you believe in moral relativism, who cares how you treat the planet? There is not absolute right and wrong. So I can trash the place and not worry about it. Humans are just another species that will eventually be extinct anyway.
    Lol thats an easy one, I care becuse the planet is a beautiful place ( yes, they still exist out there lol) and I intend to keep it that way. Thats like asking why I clean my snake's cage clean lol.

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wafisherman View Post
    You mean like the religion of Environmentalism?
    In a way--that is fanaticism without religion, but it can be just as harmful. Environmental fanatics, like all extremists, are rejected by the majority of society because the situation they want to create is unlivable for most. So, any message they MIGHT have that makes sense will be lost, and their ranting will take attention away from more moderate environmentalists who want to address specific problems in ways people can live with.

They forget that humans are part of the environment. Groups like ELF taint public opinion of those who have legitimate arguments for why environments and species should be preserved. This results in more loss of critical habitats.

Humans wind up having to learn the hard way that when environmentalism is ignored completely, people get sick and die, cures for diseases are lost, and inefficiency in systems runs rampant. The blame for that can be placed most firmly on fanatics who are unwilling to compromise, and are very loud. The rational arguments for why attention to preserving the environment will save money, improve human health, and make life better get lost in the noise.

I also don't believe in moral certitude--what's 'wrong' or 'evil' is what's bad for you, and what you don't like, and what's 'good' is what is good for you and pleases you. That pretty much covers it all. There may be things you like that are bad for you, but those type of things usually fall into more neutral categories, unless they kill you of course, and that pretty much ends the argument.
    Last edited by WingedWolfPsion; 12-24-2009 at 02:08 PM.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WingedWolfPsion For This Useful Post:

Mendel's Balls (12-28-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    There is a new future coming for pet owners and it involves activism, responsibility, and social good ... we must take control of our own destiny.
    Well said, Adam.

I found this link when doing some digging on this newest most ridiculous study.

http://www.drudge.com/news/128275/do...rint-than-suvs
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I made a comment on that one, which might get deleted. lol
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Wysocki View Post
    As recent threads on this forum have demonstrated; whether Democrat or Republican, Global Warming Advocate or Skeptic, Liberal or Conservative ... pet owners are all very divided. The good news is that we all share something very unique. We share a special understanding of the way an animal can touch our lives and the lives of others.

As most already know, for the first time in history, our future is uncertain. The global counter culture against "human ownership" of animals for decades has slowly and consistently made great strides to advance their agenda. That movement is now poised to begin taking action on their 50 year strategy to eliminate the ownership of animals from pet pythons to dogs and cats, cattle to chickens, fish to spiders.

If we can choose to put aside our differences and be united against those who seek to take our pets, we will defeat them. There is a new future coming for pet owners and it involves activism, responsibility, and social good ... we must take control of our own destiny.

Blessings,

-adam
    I think you make some pretty valid points here in this post.....However, I think you undermine your position a little bit when you attacked the scientific community in your original post.

This is yet another example of the same perversion of science used to claim that global warming will allow pet pythons & boas to "invade" 1/3 of the United States. Enough is enough.
    The Invasion Biology Paper was an example of a bad paper. However, just because that paper was bad doesnt mean that this new research is bad.

It's important that discussions that attempt to link pets to politically heated topics like global warming are watched closely. It's even more important that pet owners are aware of the moves that are being made quietly within the scientific community that will inevitably provide special interest animal rights groups with the ammunition they need to advocate legislation that hurts pet owners.
    "Moves that are made quietly in the scientific community?" Your cooking up some conspiracy theory plot here.

Come one ...it was published in a public book that based of scientific literature published in public journals and then reported on in a science news magazine (The New Scientist). That Doesn't sound very secret or quiet to me.

Furthermore, by making ad hominem cracks against scientists, academia, and the scientific community you alienate people within the scientific and academic communities that share some of your same values.

Just because the research brings news that one doesn't like doesn't mean that it isn't valid.

I found the article from new scientist rather informing. That doesn't mean I'm ready to give up my dog either or that I agree with the recommendations of the authors of Time to Eat Your Dog. However, someone who has 4 large dogs and drives a Honda Civic yet complains about an SUV driver with 2 kids might want to think twice before knocking them. http://www.newscientist.com/data/ima...1/27311601.jpg

As I said the books author does make some ridiculous and somewhat impractical suggestions. Like pets one can eat-probably wont work for most people. A good commentary on the Vale's book:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09326/1015093-109.stm
    Last edited by Mendel's Balls; 12-28-2009 at 03:59 PM.
    ~ 1.0.0 Python regius ~ Wild-type ~
    ~
    1.0.0 Canis familiaris ~ Blue Italian Greyhound ~

~ 0.0.9 Danio rerio~ Wild-type and Glofish

Thanks

well since people have the largest carbon foot print we should limit all families to two childeren maximum to save the planet, drop the demand for pets, free up jobs to lower unemployment, reduce consumption of all forms, and other BS (it is hard to type sarcasm). people are the problem but no one will say it, it is all because of dogs and cow farts.
    iHerp profile
    Check out my reptiles on the iherp link above or FB below
    Rhacosaurus Gex

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Hi,

Could we please ask you to keep to the topic at hand in your replies to this thread.

All purely political threads and statements rightly belong in the quarantine room and while there is doubtless a political aspect to the topic of this thread several posts made in it have no relevance whatsoever to pets or laws relating to pets.

We really would prefer not to have to move such an important issue off the public boards so please ask yourself if your point is general or specific to the topic of pet control before posting.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Mendel's Balls (12-29-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

Could we please ask you to keep to the topic at hand in your replies to this thread.

All purely political threads and statements rightly belong in the quarantine room and while there is doubtless a political aspect to the topic of this thread several posts made in it have no relevance whatsoever to pets or laws relating to pets.

We really would prefer not to have to move such an important issue off the public boards so please ask yourself if your point is general or specific to the topic of pet control before posting.

dr del

The point I was stating earlier on in this thread does relates to everything going on in this country and the world. Wake up people! The only way we can defeat this is by grouping together to get at the the root of the cause. Sure we can negotiate today and lose a wee bit of our rights but they'll never give up taking our rights away in little increments that we allow.

The sooner people realize how badly we're being canned the sooner we start taking back our freedoms.

Monica, you mentioned the Zeitgeist Movie and I will recommend also watching Esoteric Agenda, check it out on google!

Here's an interesting article!

How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ars-world.html

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpents_Den For This Useful Post:

Foschi Exotic Serpents (12-29-2009)

Thanks

Well.. I can see the desire of some, to cut down on their impact on the Earth and its envionment. I really can. At its root, I do not believe that this urge, is insane, or unwarranted. I personally think that the Earth is overpopulated, and have therefore chosen not to have children..

BUT! To potentially outlaw our pets.. to even base potential laws on something as unproven and unsubstantial as global warming.. Pure Rubbish. More Government trying to control, tax, and depress us more. Complete garbage.
    -Jen. Back in the hobby after a hiatus!
    Ball pythons:
    0.1 normal; 1.1 albino. 1.0 pied; 0.1 het pied; 1.0 banana.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast