Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,272

1 members and 3,271 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Global Warming Could Mean No More Pets

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    http://www.ecohuddle.com/wiki/global-warming-myths

So, some of the other planets in the solar system are warming. Others are not. Which means this is not a universal trend with a single cause. Logic Fail in those who thought that it was--but don't feel too bad, you were SUPPOSED to think that.

Now, if we assume that global warming and cooling cycles happen, then at any given time, some planets will be warming, and others will be cooling or holding stable. One does not have to be a genius to figure that one out.
    Obviously the same cause is not at work in all of these cases. Especially not for distant little Pluto. People with an agenda will say things that sound great, and encourage listeners to make assumptions. In this case, the assumption is that because some of the planets in our solar system are warming, all of them are warming and there is a central cause. That assumption is wrong.

Dissect what you hear CRITICALLY. Every bit of it. Because both sides are leaving out important information, and if you don't question it, you'll be led like a sheep, and you won't be able to make up your own mind from a knowledgeable position.

Now, for the folks in Florida who want to enjoy a frost-free lifestyle, that comes with a side dish of giant hurricanes--dig in.

Why would we think the earth might be cooling back in the 70s? Ignorance. we mistook the signs of global warming for global cooling. It's not hard to do that, because global warming causes some areas to experience colder winters.

The problem is that predicting average temperature rises in the South doesn't take into consideration the fact that winters may be colder, which would prevent tropical snakes from establishing. So, there is no need to attack global warming to refute the bs about the snakes expanding their colonization.
    In the 70's many of the same scientist that are now deleting emails and misplacing data also wanted to put coal on the polar ice caps. The theory was that the black coal would absorb heat thus HELP melt the ice caps, keeping us out of an ice age........ Your current assumptions on what we MUST do NOW will destroy the US. Blaming us, forcing the US to pay respirations to pour nations for the "damage" we have done.

I'd like to again put my vote in for a Dislike button......
    Support my efforts to raise awareness and donations to the Alzheimer's Association in honor of my Grandfather Eugene......
    www.awalktoendalzheimers.com

"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session." - Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following User Says Thank You to neilgolli For This Useful Post:

GregBennett (12-23-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post
    You just can't use global warming to argue that we shouldn't keep animals as pets. I'm sorry but the millions of cows, chickens, and pigs that get slaughtered every day contribute FAR more to global warming than our dogs and cats. If they are REALLY concerned about global warming, than wouldn't they be stopping meat production?

I just can't stand people that use science like this. Pets have nothing to do with global warming. Sure, my dog farts, but so do politicians.
    The argument about dogs and cats is not about them farting. Its about the food they eat and the "carbon footprint" it takes to sustain them. Average size dog = 200lbs of meat and 95 lbs of ceral a year thus = 2. some blablabla acres of land needed to sustain.

As Adam stated, there are huge efforts underway trying to limit or prohibit what we eat, including meat. Many things have been proposed, including a $175 per year tax per head of cow owned (after 25 heads) per year to offset its "farts" What do you think a tax like that would do to the cost of beef? What do you think that increased cost would do to overall sales? Just as with our pets, they are laying the ground work for the future.

When unions like SEIU talk about bringing up the wages of the world, to level the playing field. Do you really think they mean bring the rest of the world up to our standards or us down to the rest of the world?

I've said here before and I'll say it again, (btw, I'm not a conspiracy nut by anymeans) but grow a bigger garden and start raising chickens.....

BTW, we also now have pigs

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...00000268481138

Also good to be back to the forums, been gone for awhile, been really busy helping my father with the new company........ www.alwaysbestcareclevelandsouth.com
    Support my efforts to raise awareness and donations to the Alzheimer's Association in honor of my Grandfather Eugene......
    www.awalktoendalzheimers.com

"No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe while our legislature is in session." - Benjamin Franklin

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Neil, as far as I'm concerned, people can keep on going with their excessive carbon dioxide production if they want to. Let them do it. Let them speed up this process SO much that they have no time to evacuate the coastal cities, in fact. If people want to do that to themselves, then so be it. The US produces excessive amounts of carbon for its size and the number of people who live here. We don't have to. In fact, we're being incredibly stupid. Maybe it's our increasingly poor education system, or perhaps it's religious or rightwing fanaticism at work, I don't know.

You see, being 'green' and efficient saves money. In the long run, it saves quite a BIT of money. People are just short-sighted and impatient these days. They want cheap and fast, they don't want to shell out more now to get higher returns later. I definitely blame religious fanaticism for some of that--people who think they're going to get sucked up into heaven soon don't care if they leave a mess behind when it happens. The rest is pure fear of change--people just want to keep doing things the way they're used to, instead of doing them better.

Whenever things start to go bad, people look for scapegoats. Our snakes are just one of those scapegoats right now. It would be too difficult to REALLY go after the biggest polluters, so they're dinking around with tiny little BS and pretending to do something.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

To WingedWolfPsion

You got some good points and I agree with you practically hundred percent, however when you say religious you should instead adress the religion that you are speaking of, for some religions ( like mine) promote stewardship, protection and unity with nature . No harm no foul , just keep this in mind next time , please.
    Last edited by Derrick13; 12-23-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: I thought I quoted but apparently not.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Derrick13 For This Useful Post:

BPelizabeth (12-24-2009)

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

I was addressing fanatics, not religion in general. I didn't address a specific religion, because it matters a lot less which one it is, than whether people are raving insane over it. lol

There are plenty of religions that promote the idea that we're not going to be around here much longer.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

There are plenty of religions that promote the idea that we're not going to be around here much longer.
    You mean like the religion of Environmentalism?

Chad
    www.iherp.com/wafisherman

Ball Python, 2 Dumiril's Boas, Mexican Boa
    Russian Tortoise, 3 Sulcata Tortoises,
    3 E. Box Turtles and one 3-Toed Box Turtle
    Dog, Cat, Bearded Dragon
    2 Leo Geckos, Tiger Salamander, 2 Water Dragons
    Chickens, Rabbits, Ducks, Pilgram Geese
    2 Olberhasli milking goats
    7 kids and one amazing wife!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wafisherman For This Useful Post:

neilgolli (12-23-2009),Skiploder (12-24-2009)

Thanks

I was addressing fanatics, not religion in general. I didn't address a specific religion, because it matters a lot less which one it is, than whether people are raving insane over it. lol

I figured as much lol ( bout the fanatic thing) however there are many that believe we are here to stay, for example ...branches of buddhism and hindu, neo pagans ( a good majority belive in reincarnation, but not all) and those who arnt religious or spiritual at all like athiests. Just stateing the fact that while less in number, many people do believe that this is our one and only world.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wafisherman View Post
    You mean like the religion of Environmentalism?
    Or the religion of conservatives...lol ect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Derrick13 View Post
    I figured as much lol ( bout the fanatic thing) however there are many that believe we are here to stay, for example ...branches of buddhism and hindu, neo pagans ( a good majority belive in reincarnation, but not all) and those who arnt religious or spiritual at all like athiests. Just stateing the fact that while less in number, many people do believe that this is our one and only world.
    And if you believe in moral relativism, who cares how you treat the planet? There is not absolute right and wrong. So I can trash the place and not worry about it. Humans are just another species that will eventually be extinct anyway.

Chad
    www.iherp.com/wafisherman

Ball Python, 2 Dumiril's Boas, Mexican Boa
    Russian Tortoise, 3 Sulcata Tortoises,
    3 E. Box Turtles and one 3-Toed Box Turtle
    Dog, Cat, Bearded Dragon
    2 Leo Geckos, Tiger Salamander, 2 Water Dragons
    Chickens, Rabbits, Ducks, Pilgram Geese
    2 Olberhasli milking goats
    7 kids and one amazing wife!

Thanks

I think when you make a crazy claims it becomes easier to get the less crazy ones through.
    -David

0.0.1 Normal Ball Python (Zeek)
    0.1.0 Cinnamon Ball Python (Scarlett aka Big Red)
    0.1.0 Pastel Ball Python (Missy)
    0.1.0 Mojave Ball Python (Star)
    0.1.0 German Shepherd/Austrailian Kelpie mix (Micha)
    0.1.0 Siamese/Stuck Up mix (Ping)
    1.0.0 Dwarf Hotot Bunny (Tater)
    0.0.2 Parakeet/Albino Parakeet (Ice/Scatter)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast