Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,394

2 members and 3,392 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Weaning the unexpected

So... I have an unexpected litter of mice, and I am unsure at what stage I should remove wean them.

I think they were a week old when I discovered them, I had already separated the male because after 2 months of showing no signs of pregnancy from the female I thought they weren't going to breed.

A few of them just left their little hide and roamed around, until they noticed me and they quickly went back into hide. I did notice two had their eyes fully opened, while another was still blind but crawling about.

I have searched throughout the threads, and I have a guess that they are 21 days old?

oh I also found this site http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...c10fb297f9a367
    Last edited by herpmanout82; 12-19-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: website

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts

Re: Weaning the unexpected

Sounds like younger than that to me, usually by 3 weeks they are eating/drinking on their own, all eyes open and running around a lot. Probably 2-2 1/2 weeks. The funmouse website has pics of baby mice to compare.

Thanks

Herpmanout82,
    I am new at breeding mice but it seems to me that they open eyes at around two weeks old. I remove them to a spare tub at about 3 to 4 weeks (one tub for males and one for females) depending on if they are eating and drinking from the water bottle. If the male was in with the female when the litter was born, then it is likely that she is pregnant again. She may have more about 21 days from when the first litter was born. They are very prolific once you get them going.

Thanks

In my experience, they open their eyes around 2 weeks of age. I usually pulled them at 3.5-4 weeks of age. Any older and the male offspring could try and breed with their siblings or mother. The mother might be pregnant as well so make sure to keep all breedable males away from her or else she could get pregnant right after her litter is born. That puts too much stress on the female.
    Under Construction.....