Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,367

4 members and 3,363 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

not self-regulating

Hello friends,

One of my young BP's (9 mos.) spends her entire day, every day, in the hide on the cool side. She NEVER ventures to the warm side at all. Even when I take her out and put her back on the warm side she immediately goes for the cool hide. She doesn't even spend time in between zones. I have tried adjusting the temps on the warm side and nothing changed. I moved the piece of driftwood that had been on the cool side thinking she liked being under that better than inside a fake rock hide, and she is now chosing the fake rock hide on the cool side. The ambient temp on the cool side is around 76 - 80. There is a UTH set to around 90 and a 75 watt infrared lamp on the warm side.

Until yesterday, she had not exhibited any other health/behavioral issues that would indicate she's not well. She has been eating very well and because where I live is so dry I mist daily and she gets a warm soak frequently as well. She drinks frequently too. I noticed last night that she is in the early stages of RI and it's because she doesn't self-regulate her body temp; at least I think that's the cause.

I have considered shortening her enclosure to "force" her to stay warmer, but I'm not experienced enough with this kind of problem to know if that's the answer. The only other thing that I can think of, which is probably unrelated, is that she hasn't pooped in close to 2 months. There is another BP the same age, just a couple feet away and he is fine, so I don't think the spot in the house is the problem. Actually, there are two other snakes in the same room and they are all fine.

Does any one have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: not self-regulating

Well first of all if you beleive your snake is sick move it away from the other snakes. Prefferably a seperate room. If you can't get it to a vet I would at least try a quarantine for a while as a vet will tell you to do this anyway. Another thing, if the snake never goes to warm side I personally would not mist my snakes when they are on the cool side.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SNIKTTIME View Post
    Well first of all if you beleive your snake is sick move it away from the other snakes. Prefferably a seperate room. If you can't get it to a vet I would at least try a quarantine for a while as a vet will tell you to do this anyway. Another thing, if the snake never goes to warm side I personally would not mist my snakes when they are on the cool side.
    Sorry, I gave incomplete info in first post. She is quarantined since noticing RI last night, and she is going to the vet this weekend. I don't mist the snake, I mist a pile of sphagnum moss several inches away from either of the hides. I never actually mist my snakes, I'll either soak them or let them hang out on the moist moss. Thanks for the sound advice, though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts

The only way to force her to be warmer is to warm the cage to a higher avg temp.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts

Pictures pictures pictures.

We need to see this setup and be VERY detailed on everything