Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,265

2 members and 3,263 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Thanks

Re: 1000's exotics seized

Quote Originally Posted by dr del View Post
    Hi,

If you get confirmation the boa had IBD then I would really advise against trying to adopt any of the animals until you know they are clear.

At this point you are relying on good quarantine proceedures from everyone who has been taking care of the snakes - and that probably includes people who knew nothing about them or the diseases they could carry.

The last thing anyone wants is for your charity and kindness to lead to the death of your existing collection.

dr del
    I am also unsure if that snake did have IBD, most of the snakes that were starving were doing weird movements. In the video on PETA there are two snakes that were spazzing because they had no food, which was the case for some of the snakes taken in to our sanctuary. But the whole point of our sanctuary is to take in surrendered reptiles or ones that have been left behind by people. That is why we took 500 of the exotics from Texas, we nurse sick animals back to health and once they are well again we put them up for adoption (certain ones of course, some of them would stay at the sanctuary if they are not a children's pet because normally it's children coming in to adopt a snake or reptile).

I'm not sure if you guys heard of this but a couple years ago there was an illegal shipment of alligators and once the people were caught the alligators came to our facility. 95%+ of the reptiles and exotics we have are surrenders.
    Tiff'z Morphz

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Two weeks is insufficient. Incubation period for IBD could be as long as 3 months (or longer), AND it may be possible for animals to be silent carriers. Incubation period for paramyxovirus could be as long as 10 months. (A full year's quarantine is now recommended, but thankfully carriers don't appear to exist).

You really need to have that boa necropsied. Being able to ID IBD versus paramyxovirus or one of the other big baddies will tell you more readily what you're dealing with, and could mean the difference between life and death for the other animals. It's unknown how IBD is transmitted, but paramyxo is transmitted by contact with secretions (like the common cold, rather than influenza). If the boa had IBD, no one's going to want those animals if they already have an existing collection. If it was paramyxo, then the animals can be declared all clear if they're ok in a year. These diseases are extremely serious and no matter how much people may want to help, they cannot be allowed to spread through captive populations. IBD is deadly (to all but the silent carriers, which are rare). Paramyxo kills 80% of untreated animals. There are other deadly and highly contagious illnesses out there with similar symptoms, such as retroviruses and reoviruses.
    If you don't know what these animals might be carrying, what sane person would want to take the risk? I recall reading about one person who wound up with reovirus in their collection, and it killed every last animal--it was so persistant, even the animals kept away from the others for months eventually died. The owner had to burn her equipment just to feel safe.

Without knowing the real diagnosis for a snake that died with neurological signs, you really should not keep them anywhere where ventilation is joined--IE, not in the same building. The risk is too great--the danger is very real.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    Two weeks is insufficient. Incubation period for IBD could be as long as 3 months (or longer), AND it may be possible for animals to be silent carriers. Incubation period for paramyxovirus could be as long as 10 months. (A full year's quarantine is now recommended, but thankfully carriers don't appear to exist).
    I hear that boa constrictors can be those silent carriers, which is why my boa is kept in a completely separate room (in a different part of my house) than my pythons. I tried talking my mom out of getting the boa in the first place, but she liked it to much

You really need to have that boa necropsied. Being able to ID IBD versus paramyxovirus or one of the other big baddies will tell you more readily what you're dealing with, and could mean the difference between life and death for the other animals. It's unknown how IBD is transmitted, but paramyxo is transmitted by contact with secretions (like the common cold, rather than influenza).
    I was reading this book about pythons, and while reading it said it could be carried by a retrovirus found in some mites. I'm not completely sure if that's true, but that's just what I read.

Is it possible for colubrids to get IBD (even though I hear it is only transmitted with boids) or paramyxovirus?

If you don't know what these animals might be carrying, what sane person would want to take the risk? I recall reading about one person who wound up with reovirus in their collection, and it killed every last animal--it was so persistant, even the animals kept away from the others for months eventually died. The owner had to burn her equipment just to feel safe.
    There was a vet attended while these exotics were being treated, so he told us most of the stuff and which animals were to be treated. That story of the woman is very heartbreaking. How did the reovirus wind up in her collection?

I am not insane, but I would take that risk. Just like the folks at PHS kindly did, and others who took in those exotics.
    Tiff'z Morphz

BPnet Senior Member WingedWolfPsion's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CoolioTiffany View Post
    I was reading this book about pythons, and while reading it said it could be carried by a retrovirus found in some mites. I'm not completely sure if that's true, but that's just what I read.
    Mites are believed to be a potential transmission vector for IBD, but this is just speculation at this point--nor is it at all certain that it is a retrovirus.

Is it possible for colubrids to get IBD (even though I hear it is only transmitted with boids) or paramyxovirus?
    It may be possible for colubrids to get IBD, though it's not been diagnosed in them often. It's definitely possible for them to catch paramyxovirus. Paramyxovirus is usually accompanied by respiratory signs--only occasionally would an infected snake show neurological signs without the respiratory. IBD can also occasionally cause respiratory signs--these diseases are all extremely hard to diagnose, and even with a necropsy, it can be a challenge to get a definitive diagnosis. My understanding is that the shape of the inclusion bodies can help tell them apart. (There are actually a number of viral illnesses that create inclusion bodies).

There was a vet attended while these exotics were being treated, so he told us most of the stuff and which animals were to be treated. That story of the woman is very heartbreaking. How did the reovirus wind up in her collection?
    I only recall reading the story on a forum, I don't recall the details. I'm not sure she knew how it happened.

I am not insane, but I would take that risk. Just like the folks at PHS kindly did, and others who took in those exotics.
    I'm just saying--a necropsy on that boa will reveal the level of risk involved, and the level of quarantine necessary to prevent the potential spread of a deadly illness. Stay on top of the mite issue by using Provent-A-Mite religiously, and use very high level sanitary procedures--wash hands between every bin, never return a live rodent to a holding bin, never switch a rodent from one bin to another--etc, etc. If you're going to take the risk, you can still minimize it.
    --Donna Fernstrom
    16.29 BPs in collection, 16.11 BP hatchlings
    Eclipse Exotics
    http://www.eclipseexotics.com/
    Author Website
    http://donnafernstrom.com
    Follow my Twitters: WingedWolfPsion, EclipseMeta, and EclipseExotics

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WingedWolfPsion View Post
    I'm just saying--a necropsy on that boa will reveal the level of risk involved, and the level of quarantine necessary to prevent the potential spread of a deadly illness. Stay on top of the mite issue by using Provent-A-Mite religiously, and use very high level sanitary procedures--wash hands between every bin, never return a live rodent to a holding bin, never switch a rodent from one bin to another--etc, etc. If you're going to take the risk, you can still minimize it.
    I am definitely going to take as many precautions as I can. Some had mites and ticks, and I do have a spray called JurassiMite and it worked to eliminate all of my Ball python Bindi's mites a while back. I don't feed live rodents unless necessary, and I purchase them (don't keep my own or breed em). I would definitely follow any sanitary procedure possible, as I do tend to be a germaphobe even for my snakes' benefit. Also thank you for your concern, I really appreciate it and the information you've shared with me
    Tiff'z Morphz

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456